Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2014 2:31:24 PM EDT
I was thinking about getting these or a set of Troys.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:38:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Magpul MBUS are cheap and rugged sights, more rugged than most according to testers (http://kitup.military.com/2012/07/back-up-iron-sight-drop-test.html).  They arent the most accurate or coolest looking but as MBUS they  work very well.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:38:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

They are fine, don't support Troy.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:39:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like mine fine. Fuck Troy.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:41:02 PM EDT
[#4]
MBUS's are good durable back ups.  Get those
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:49:52 PM EDT
[#5]
You can also take a look at the Magpul MBUS Pro's. They're metal and have a smaller footprint plus, they're priced right between the Polymer MBUS and the Troy's.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:03:11 PM EDT
[#6]
The key word here is "back-up" - i.e. in case your Optic goes Tango Uniform. Magpul plastic is just fine.
Not too sure if OK as your primary sighting system.
If primary then maybe Magpul metal for $50 more (deal at PSA now) instead - ???
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:06:21 PM EDT
[#7]
double tap
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:14:49 PM EDT
[#8]
They work great. I'd go KAC or MBUS at this point.

Though MBUS pro and Spikes micro buis are all good.

Quite a few good ones out there. Screw troy.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:18:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You can also take a look at the Magpul MBUS Pro's. They're metal and have a smaller footprint plus, they're priced right between the Polymer MBUS and the Troy's.
View Quote

This. I started out with MBUS and have switched to Pros. Loved both but the pros are smaller and fit my wants a little better. Still love MBUS though.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:19:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Pretty cheap deals on KAC 600y micro rear site on ebay. Get the Magpul MBUS PRO for the front and you have a solid good looking, low profile set up cheap.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:09:58 PM EDT
[#11]
What am i missing here? Troy use to be the go to answer for iron flip up sights
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:11:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

amen!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:11:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote
They're a shitty company who supports baby killers.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:12:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ruby Ridge......  No one in the firearms community should support them now in my opinion
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:18:54 PM EDT
[#15]
As long as you're not mounting the front one to a gas block, they're good.  Solid feeling, light.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:20:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
As long as you're not mounting the front one to a gas block, they're good.  Solid feeling, light.
View Quote

Nailed it.

Rail mount front sight? Go for it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:23:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Im caught up now, fuck troy
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:46:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a couple of the plastic ones and one set of the Pros, they are both fine and work as intended.  I was surprised at how small the Pros are and how low they lay on the rail.  They worked out great on my 308 AR where it is underneath the eyepiece of the scope and they don't touch.  Either set will be fine, just dont put the plastic ones on a railed gas block.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Wow, I was looking at some accessories and considered Troy among others but glad I saw this thread. I'm with you guys, fuck Troy.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:09:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I have the MBUS pros and I love how low profile they are, but I assumed they would lock in the upright position like the poly MBUS, but they do not.  I also love how the poly ones are spring loaded and you just push down on the little flap and they pop up.  Hard choice, especially considering the poly ones are quite a bbit mpre affordable.  Can't go wrong either way.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:20:44 PM EDT
[#21]
i dont want plastic sights, so i wont buy them
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:30:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Nailed it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nailed it.

I Like mine .. I hit what I'm aiming at just as good as the expensive ones.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:00:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have the MBUS pros and I love how low profile they are, but I assumed they would lock in the upright position like the poly MBUS, but they do not.  I also love how the poly ones are spring loaded and you just push down on the little flap and they pop up.  Hard choice, especially considering the poly ones are quite a bbit mpre affordable.  Can't go wrong either way.
View Quote

Neither the MBUS PROs or plastic MBUS sights lock in the upright position....that is one of the reasons they are so durable. If dropped on the sights they collapse instead of bend or break.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:12:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Good To Go,
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:15:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Magpul.... Cheap, light weight, works, no frills no thrills just simple and there when you need it.  I exclusively use them because of price and value for what you get.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:45:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have front and rear tritium Troy BUIS.  

Mine fit perfectly on the top rail and are very low profile...about .460 above the rail.  

Many will tell you not to buy Troy but they are one of the best.  I have a new build that I will be trying the YHM tritium sights on.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:12:56 PM EDT
[#27]
I hate the sight picture of the MBUS. I'd rather stare through a RDS with a dead battery. The Pro looks like it may have a better sight picture, but I haven't been able to handle any.

The DOA sights (non-tritium) are very fast and that is what I have for nearly useless backup sights The tritium DOA is a waste of money and slower in my experience. They should have left the horizontal white line on the sights in conjunction with the tritium.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:16:40 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm partial to the GGG MAD sight for the rear and never needed a front sight.  I like magpul stuff but havent really tested a MBUS on a rifle in my safe out torture style to trust it 100%.  Not knocking them at all.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 2:15:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Have them on 2 rifles. Work fine. Opted for them over others because of the spring loaded deployment.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 3:13:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Neither the MBUS PROs or plastic MBUS sights lock in the upright position....that is one of the reasons they are so durable. If dropped on the sights they collapse instead of bend or break.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The plastic MBUS from Magpul do lock up.  Notice the locking mechanism along the side of the both front and rear sights that must be depressed before stowing the sights in the folded position

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 4:47:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Mine fit perfectly on the top rail and are very low profile...about .460 above the rail.  

Many will tell you not to buy Troy but they are one of the best.  I have a new build that I will be trying the YHM tritium sights on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP, I've used the Magpul and Troy BUIS both extensively. The Magpuls are durable but I don't like the sizing of the rear sight aperture. Both Magpul rear sight apertures are too large when compared to stock, Mil-Spec, and in spec, rear sight systems like standard carry handle sights and the removable carry handle rear sights. The Troy's are identical to the mil-spec size sight apertures and are tough; making them a very solid choice for back up sights, or on (2) of my rifles the primary sighting systems. I'm an irons guy... However, I got my Troy sights before they decided to hire/support "Jack Booted Thugs" that were involved at the Ruby Ridge incident/atrocity. That said, if I were to need a new rear sight to use with a standard "F" marked FSB it would be very hard for me not to purchase another Troy rear BUIS because it's a fantastic product that is right on spec and extremely durable...  YMMV...
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 4:47:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The plastic MBUS from Magpul do lock up.  Notice the locking mechanism along the side of the both front and rear sights that must be depressed before stowing the sights in the folded position

http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Magpul-MBUS-II-430x280.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Magpul-MBUS-II-430x280.jpg

Mine lock in the up position only when they aren't on an upper. On the rifle they only lock in the down position.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:18:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The channels for the up position are rounded. The sights stay up, but I think it is a combination of spring tension and the channels. You simply fold the sight back down to "close" it. No latch or button pressing to unlock them from the up position.

I also like that you can hit the entire front portion to deploy them, may help if gloved or under adrenaline.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:44:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

nope. just push em down.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:04:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Replaced my magpul buis with Troy buis on my SR556e. I've had them on all my ar's.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:07:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Inexpensive, durable and light weight.

For an item that will spend 99.99999% of it's life folded down I think MBUS are a great choice.

Just don't mount them on gas blocks.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:13:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The channels for the up position are rounded. The sights stay up, but I think it is a combination of spring tension and the channels. You simply fold the sight back down to "close" it. No latch or button pressing to unlock them from the up position.

I also like that you can hit the entire front portion to deploy them, may help if gloved or under adrenaline.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

well damn... all this time I thought they locked, I stand corrected,
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 10:24:46 AM EDT
[#38]
I am not a fan of the sight picture either. I have ARMS on my AR and really like them.They seem a little overbuilt and very rugged. I have not dropped the rifle yet, so i cant attest personally to their durability. I actually preferred using them over my eotech at my last range session.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:53:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 1:32:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  For this reason alone, the MBUS remains my choice for backup on a "go to" AR.  The guy who did that kitup testing later reported using his rifle like an ax, slamming the rear MBUS repeatedly against a concrete surface and it still worked with no POI shift.  The spring loaded deflection is hugely important for the extreme durability.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 1:36:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, no, no, sir.  You must not own one.  The side latch releases the spring to bring the sight UP.  It does NOT lock it in upright position.  I just checked again.  I don't know where this stuff comes from.

EDIT:  Sorry for piling on, I did not see your retraction before posting.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 2:33:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

No, no, no, sir.  You must not own one.  The side latch releases the spring to bring the sight UP.  It does NOT lock it in upright position.  I just checked again.  I don't know where this stuff comes from.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No problem. I owned a set a year ago and I zeroed them and never used them again as my optic never failed, I remembered the wrong lock position. No intentional misinformation.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top