Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2014 9:18:36 AM EDT
Through some trades I have ended up with several Eotechs, their 3x magnifier and a amber dot RMR but have been wanting to try an ACOG. I have the RMR on my 14.5 lightweight AR and like it for up close shooting but at distance the dot is as big as the target. Will most likely end up on my 16 inch gun that I always seem to grab first when heading to the range.  Looking for opinions on this one as well as if anyone knows of a better deal to be had than from Optics Planet who has it for $1499.00.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/trijicon-acog-4x32-scope-dual-illuminated-red-chevron-223-ballistic-reticle-4-0-moa-r.html?gclid=CJGLvq-LicACFVQV7AodZkoAjg

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=TA31F-RMR

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 10:06:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah I use a ta31ecos sometimes on my m1a when I feel like it. I like the ta31ecos because it comes with a buis on it. Here's a pic of it (sorry about the horrible quality of it):

I have a TA01nsn that I got with a RMR as well that I use on my spare ar15.

Now it really comes down to preference. Some folks consider the acog too high and the rmr even higher. Some folks like to use a offset instead. You can get a acog, then buy the rmr later with an offset. I initially tried the offset and disliked it a lot.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 10:13:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh yeah, if you have a eotech, you can put the acog in the rear and the eotech in the front. Get a ta01nsn model, and you got yourself a makeshift BAC reticle.

The reason L3 made the magnifier is after seeing this setup where some soldiers were unable to make out the target with the mountain background. So they would put a EOTech in the front to act as a daytime illumination.

Something very similar to this image (not my gun, found it with google image search):

Just a suggestion for you if you want to try that setup out. I tried it with my ta01nsn and I like it though you get an awful lot of questions about the setup. I keep that, the rmr, and the acog all on a single ar15. Yeah it's a bit silly.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 11:14:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got a TA31F with a piggybacked RMR.

The setup is not too heavy and very reliable.  However, it is far from ideal IMHO.  You need to use a "Chin-weld" for the RMR and that requires a lot of practice.  

I'm thinking for changing over to a Elcan SpecterDR 1x/4x, which I think will be better overall.

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 11:26:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oh yeah, if you have a eotech, you can put the acog in the rear and the eotech in the front. Get a ta01nsn model, and you got yourself a makeshift BAC reticle.

The reason L3 made the magnifier is after seeing this setup where some soldiers were unable to make out the target with the mountain background. So they would put a EOTech in the front to act as a daytime illumination.

Something very similar to this image (not my gun, found it with google image search):

http://i56.tinypic.com/28kpj89.jpg

Just a suggestion for you if you want to try that setup out. I tried it with my ta01nsn and I like it though you get an awful lot of questions about the setup. I keep that, the rmr, and the acog all on a single ar15. Yeah it's a bit silly.
View Quote

Trollolololololololololololol

But seriously, dont do that.

I don't think the RMR is a great addition to the acog up top, it puts your head in a strange area, chin on the butt stock, causes people to stand up straighter..a plethora of issues that the acog was more than capable of handling with a little bit of training.

We have a bunch of options on todays market, dont over complicate it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 11:37:28 AM EDT
[#5]

If I could afford this setup I would run the rmr in a 45 degree offset mount to the acog. Flippin the rifle to the side seems alot more natural than coming almost completly off the buttstock.

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 1:19:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I don't think the RMR is a great addition to the acog up top, it puts your head in a strange area, chin on the butt stock, causes people to stand up straighter..a plethora of issues that the acog was more than capable of handling with a little bit of training.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You say there are better options yet your entire post does nothing but bash the setup and say people lack training. What is with you?
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 1:45:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Did not care for the RMR on top at all, cheek weld is far too important.  Switched to a offset mount, very happy.

Fatkid
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:14:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You say there are better options yet your entire post does nothing but bash the setup and say people lack training. What is with you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I must have forgot where placing an eotech infront of an ACOG could ever be anything BUT trolling someone? That is your best answer for his dilemna?

Yes, the better option is to just the acog. Keep both eyes open for things that are close in, and for things at distance, shut one and attempt a little more precision. In my experience and the experience of lots of guys using issued SDO/RMR's, it takes more time and effort to raise your head to the proper eye level to acquire the RMR properly.

What I am also saying is that it looks cool and tactical and shit to put an RMR on your ACOG and run around with it, but is your 4X optic really limiting you that much inside of a room, especially when it is already brightly illuminated? You dont need a tool for every yardage when you already have one that does close in and medium range stuff very well, once you learn to use it. Of course it is easier to put an aimpoint on something and shoot in buildings, but does that mean i need a micro on an offset mount to compliment my ACOG? Maybe in your world you do (Or, and eotech infront of an ACOG, and an RMR, for whatever reason you could possibly need for that.) But you most certainly can find a better option if you decide that your ACOG needs a little help from somthing for close in work.

If i were you, i would purchase just the acog of your choice. Give it a whirl and see if it doesnt become comfortableto just put the chevron on your now slightly larger targets from 20 yards and in. If you dont like it, buying the RMR and putting it on isnt a hard thing to do, and it very well could save you from having an RMR collecting dust around your house.

Or, as was so eloquently stated above, just buy an acog, an eotech, and an RMR.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:26:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a TA01NSN with a piggybacked Docter RDS. I originally bought the Docter to sit on a pistol, but when I decided I didn't like a RDS on a pistol I moved it over to the ACOG. Surprisingly, I really like it. From my cheekweld using the ACOG I simply rotate my head to vertical on the stock and I can use the red dot. My chin and part of cheek still maintain contact with the stock. I have the ACOG zero'd at 100m and the RDS at 25m. IMO it is a great combo.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:36:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I must have forgot where placing an eotech infront of an ACOG could ever be anything BUT trolling someone? That is your best answer for his dilemna?

Yes, the better option is to just the acog. Keep both eyes open for things that are close in, and for things at distance, shut one and attempt a little more precision. In my experience and the experience of lots of guys using issued SDO/RMR's, it takes more time and effort to raise your head to the proper eye level to acquire the RMR properly.

What I am also saying is that it looks cool and tactical and shit to put an RMR on your ACOG and run around with it, but is your 4X optic really limiting you that much inside of a room, especially when it is already brightly illuminated? You dont need a tool for every yardage when you already have one that does close in and medium range stuff very well, once you learn to use it. Of course it is easier to put an aimpoint on something and shoot in buildings, but does that mean i need a micro on an offset mount to compliment my ACOG? Maybe in your world you do (Or, and eotech infront of an ACOG, and an RMR, for whatever reason you could possibly need for that.) But you most certainly can find a better option if you decide that your ACOG needs a little help from somthing for close in work.

If i were you, i would purchase just the acog of your choice. Give it a whirl and see if it doesnt become comfortableto just put the chevron on your now slightly larger targets from 20 yards and in. If you dont like it, buying the RMR and putting it on isnt a hard thing to do, and it very well could save you from having an RMR collecting dust around your house.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except it is in use by the military in some cases. Perhaps you should research it before you call something? Plus I said he might try it out he might like it. Did you?
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 3:14:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Improvise, Adapt, Overcome
Sometimes you just gotta make due with what you got.

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 3:47:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Except it is in use by the military in some cases. Perhaps you should research it before you call something? Plus I said he might try it out he might like it. Did you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, the first gun i was issued in the fleet actually had one of the combos on it, and our IAR's currently still have them. As i said above. i have never seen anyone use the RMR on top.

As for the second picture, i would LOVE some more information on that.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 4:15:20 PM EDT
[#13]
The EOTech ACOG combo is ridiculous... it does nothing to improve the performance of the ACOG.  The only thing i could imagine would be if you are running a TA01 and want daytime illumination or if your tritium is dead (adding the EOTech is still ridiculous).  I personally like the ACOG RMR combo.  I do think the 45 offset is a better design but i used the piggyback setup for awhile and liked it.  Inside 25m I would always use the red dot... i found it a lot easier to transition between targets because I am just much more effective without magnification at that range when i am moving, transitioning between targets, or the target is moving.  Just me... i like having it personally.  EOTech + ACOG come on man.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 4:32:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
As i said above. i have never seen anyone use the RMR on top.

As for the second picture, i would LOVE some more information on that.
View Quote

You never seen anyone use a RMR on top of a acog?

Here's a picture of Danny Dietz who has a acog/rmr combo. It's made famous in the movie where the actor had the same weapon configuration. Most early versions had a Docter Optics instead of a RMR.

They even have a statue of him with his ACOG + RMR Combo...

If that doesn't tell you that the setup is used, I don't know what can.

And you never seen an acog with an eotech on the front?

Here's a picture of a troop with a M14 with ACOG and EOTech. Most outfits with DMR in the Army tend to get a M14 without any optics. Most of the time they get what is currently available in the unit which might include a ACOG or EOtech. Some folks like to carry both at the same time just in case they ever go into a close quarter situation or as I said because the desert background is hard to see without some illumination. Since early troops got a TA01NSN model, it never provided daytime illumination so it's hard to see far out.

It's not in any field manual and it's mostly done at preferences level.

All I ask is folks who have a EOTech and Acog to try it out just once. You're going to really like it. I did. I know it looks silly but it's a nice setup. I'll get a pic with mine sometime but don't feel like diggin out things.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 5:06:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the replies and input. But looking at the ACOG only from Optics Planet, it is $1422.00 by itself. This is the same ACOG, isn't it? Getting another RMR and a mount for an extra $70 bucks is a no brainer if it's the same unit. I do have some 45 degree mounts in the parts bin.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/trijicon-ta31rco-m4-acog-4x32-usmc-sight-m4-w-ta51-mount.html?gclid=CN6jkv3_icACFWoR7AodLRUA5w
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 5:06:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Here's a picture of Danny Dietz who has a acog/rmr combo. It's made famous in the movie where the actor had the same weapon configuration. Most early versions had a Docter Optics instead of a RMR..
View Quote

You, dalle0001 are a 13'er and it shows.  Your posts seem rather Trollish and poorly thought out.  

Bakke1 didn't say he'd never actually seen an Acog/RMR combo.  He wrote that he'd never seen one actually used by someone issued one.

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 5:14:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies and input. But looking at the ACOG only from Optics Planet, it is $1422.00 by itself. This is the same ACOG, isn't it? Getting another RMR and a mount for an extra $70 bucks is a no brainer if it's the same unit. I do have some 45 degree mounts in the parts bin.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/trijicon-ta31rco-m4-acog-4x32-usmc-sight-m4-w-ta51-mount.html?gclid=CN6jkv3_icACFWoR7AodLRUA5w
View Quote

That acog will need the different kind of RMR mount if you want it to piggy back on the top.

It will need this mount: http://www.opticsplanet.com/trijicon-rmr-mount-for-4x-acog-riflescopes.html (if you get a rmr be sure to get a rmr with NO rails addapter. Some RMR comes with the adapter so check that out as well).

If you want to offset it you'll need two things: the offset rmr rails and the rmr rails.

These two:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/trijicon-low-picatinny-rail-mount-for-rmr-sights.html

http://www.opticsplanet.com/trijicon-rail-offset-adapter-for-rmr.html (though you can get any 45 offset mount.

Buy the RMR without any attachments (just bare bones RMR). Some RMR comes with the picatinny rail attachment so check on that if it's a discount.

I recommend NOT to buy from OPTICSPLANET. Instead buy from another site like Eurooptics. Opticsplanet is okay for some INSTOCK items but if they are not instock you're screwed to wait a very long time. They'll ship out whenever they feel like it.

Hope this post helps ya out!

Edit: Dare I add that you can get the ACOG and a really nice Larue mount from the larue site?

Here: http://www.laruetactical.com/trijicon-4x32-ta31f-acog%C2%AE-scope-and-qd-mount

Or the really nice USMC RCO setup: http://www.laruetactical.com/trijicon-acog-usmc-rifle-optic-ta31-rco-m4-reticle-and-larue-tactical-lt-100-qd-mount

That will save you some coins to get the mount + acog at once. You can get the RMR later. Call up larue to see if it's in stock.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 5:15:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You, dalle0001 are a 13'er and it shows.  Your posts seem rather Trollish and poorly thought out.  

Bakke1 didn't say he'd never actually seen an Acog/RMR combo.  He wrote that he'd never seen one actually used by someone issued one.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's a picture of Danny Dietz who has a acog/rmr combo. It's made famous in the movie where the actor had the same weapon configuration. Most early versions had a Docter Optics instead of a RMR..

Hey, I just found out about this whole 13er thingy last night. Took me a while to figure it out but I finally got it that it's about folks who signed up in 2013.

So basically when someone comes onto the site and talk about something you never heard of, you basically bash them? That's really something. I always thought that folks who are into the same thing tend to like each other's idea and ask about experiences instead of questioning the authenticity of such a setup. I guess that's not the case here on ar15. I'll call you a internet bully but then again I guess it's pointless to really assume anything means anything on the internet.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 5:19:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Went with this about six or seven years ago, still use it. And I bought it on OpticsPlanet, the first one they sent me had some crooked adjustment screws on the red dot, I sent it back and they sent me another one.

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:17:16 PM EDT
[#20]
OP- I would advise looking into ACOGs here on the EE- you can pick one up that is new, or used, at a price that is much more affordable than the 1400 you are looking at there. Some older ones have even been listed in the $600 price range as of late.

Good choice on the ACOG!  

SandWMand- Sweet stick!
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:58:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Did not care for the RMR on top at all, cheek weld is far too important.  Switched to a offset mount, very happy.

Fatkid
View Quote

Pretty much exactly this.  I thought the top mounted RMR would be the hot shit until I started doing it... Then, it just felt WEIRD.

Then again, I thought offset sights were retarded gamer bullshit until I tried it.  Now I love it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:27:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Pretty much exactly this.  I thought the top mounted RMR would be the hot shit until I started doing it... Then, it just felt WEIRD.

Then again, I thought offset sights were retarded gamer bullshit until I tried it.  Now I love it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fatkid

Haha i thought the same thing about the 45 offset and kinda was obsessed once i tried it.  As far as the cheek weld on the piggyback... meh... never really caused me any issues at the distances i was shooting w/ the RMR.  The RMR was kinda the solution to the look over the top of to optic point and shoot method that a lot of people were using.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top