Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2013 6:29:44 AM EDT
So I getting pretty close to purchasing a Trijicon ACOG or Accupoint for kind of an all around optic.

At first I'll be using it on an FN FAL. Of course I'm aware of the eye relief and cheek weld issues using an
ACOG on the FAL, but I can make it work ok for a while until I figure out what my next 5.56 rifle project
is going to be. Then the ACOG or Accupoint will go the new 5.56 rifle. Might build an A4 clone or 16" middy.

Anyhow...

I'm having some trouble choosing between a TA31F or TA02 or TR24 1-4 Accupoint.

The rifle this optic ends up on will be used for all kinds of shooting potentially but not
dedicated to any one use or activity. Maybe used in a class, or for a 3 gun or carbine match.
As well as a white tail deer or pig hunt perhaps. But most of the time just having fun at the range and running some drills.

It would seem that the 1-4 Accupoint would be best suited for general purpose use due to better eye relief
and ability to use on 1x like an Aimpoint, etc. However, I'm not crazy about the triangle/post reticle or the #4 cross hair reticle.

I much prefer the chevron or cross hair with BDC ladder as found on the ACOG but then limited to 4x.
I don't yet know how well the BAC both eyes open will work for me with an ACOG. I can do it with an Aimpoint
so maybe it will work out ok for me.

I'm really leaning towards the ACOG and a choice between the TA31F red chevron or TA02 (LED) with cross hair ret.

So have any of you used all three optics and how do you feel about them and which do you prefer for general use?

Thanks,

EMSflyer
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:13:43 AM EDT
[#1]
For a "all-around" optic on a AR-15 platform rifle, it's hard to beat the TR24. From 0-300 yds it's point and click.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:15:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the TA31 with green horse shoe and love it short E/R  doesn't bother me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:34:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a TA31F red chevron, and older non illuminated TA01 with crosshair/dot... I have much more time with the TA01, but the 31F is very uncluttered and it's now on my primary game gun... I use it for 3 gun, and at anything farther than point blank range, have no trouble with the BAC and both eyes open red chevron..it takes some time working with the chevron, but it's fast...the Accupoint blocks the target under the triangle (between the vertical lines) as that's where the fiberoptic is located... YMMV
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:57:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I like my TA02 as I can turn on and off the illumination.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:37:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a ta-31f on a 6940 and dont regret it for a moment . I wanted a tough rifle with an eaqually tough optic. I dont do 3 gun but, I do 4 wheeler and tractor so things get bumped around a bit not to mention rain sleet mud all the good stuff . I suppose kicking doors could be a good argument for aimpoints I have a pro on my 8.5 inch 300 blackout and it is definatly faster at 5-10 yards but I dont shoot at anything thats going to hurt me at that range more likely I take a pot shot at a coyote from 25-200 yds or a white tail and the acog works great.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:25:26 PM EDT
[#6]
TA31F
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:01:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For a "all-around" optic on a AR-15 platform rifle, it's hard to beat the TR24. From 0-300 yds it's point and click.
View Quote

Was playing with a TR24  yesterday and fell in love with it.  Mind you, I've got 2 EOTechs, and a Loopy Mark IV but I now HAVE to get a TR24.  It is so easy to use it is Marine proof!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:34:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Agree with multiple folks above it. The TR24 is the best general purpose optic IMO.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:27:33 AM EDT
[#9]
the TR24 is an excellent optic, I have one on a lightweight rifle and love it. but it is big and heavy, and especially on something already heavy like a FAL, it may prove to be unweildy. I recommend an ACOG, but something lighter, and more versatile. The TA33 ACOG is simply astounding, lightweight, long eye relief, and 3x. I highly recommend the TA33.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:54:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the TR24 on a 20" flat top, and I believe that optic can't be beat for that gun as it is already heavy.  I tried the TR24 with Larue QR mount on a 16" lightweight build I just finished, and it just didn't feel right. Then I took a TA33 3x30mm ACOG off another rifle to try on the lightweight build, and it felt great!  A TA33 with the green crosshair will be what I put on my new lightweight build.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:06:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the insightful comments !

The Accupoint is probably the way to go.
It's more flexible, better eye relief and better for up close stuff.

But I've always wanted an ACOG so I might try that first.

I still don't know.

I'll need to make a choice by next month.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:11:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:30:43 PM EDT
[#13]
The ACOG TA-11 has the best eye relief.
I hated the other models and felt they had WAY to little eye relief IMHO.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top