Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2013 2:13:59 PM EDT
I'm looking at different optics for my A2 AR15 at the moment. All the optics I have found so far do not work well with the carry handle. What optics work well with it, or would it be more beneficial to upgrade to the A4 upper?

Here's a picture:

https://scontent-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1378434_10152308734458242_161439375_n.jpg
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 3:00:31 PM EDT
[#1]

I am confused.

Does your A2 have a FSB if so then that is the best sight to use with a carry handle rear.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 3:58:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Bushmaster taller front post? I grabbing at straws from the OP's description.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:10:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I am confused.

Does your A2 have a FSB if so then that is the best sight to use with a carry handle rear.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I am confused.

Quoted:
Bushmaster taller front post? I grabbing at straws from the OP's description.

I just posted a picture on the OP. I have the oldschool A2 style upper. I have a rail attached to the carry handle. I need to find a super low profile sight for it. Otherwise it sits high like this one:

https://scontent-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1395933_10152306752988242_536927213_n.jpg
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:11:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I gathered he was talking about optics?

A red dot in a gooseneck mount would probably be the most comfortable option.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:57:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I just posted a picture on the OP. I have the oldschool A2 style upper. I have a rail attached to the carry handle. I need to find a super low profile sight for it. Otherwise it sits high like this one:

https://scontent-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1395933_10152306752988242_536927213_n.jpg
View Quote

If that's an ACOG you have there,you can eliminate the rail and scope mount,then mount the ACOG directly to the carry handle with a Trijicon TA53A mount kit. That will help a bunch.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:14:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I gathered he was talking about optics?

A red dot in a gooseneck mount would probably be the most comfortable option.
View Quote

I could see it as functional... but they look weird in my opinion. I'm tempted to upgrade to the A4 style upper now if I can't find a good optic to go with my A2.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:20:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If that's an ACOG you have there,you can eliminate the rail and scope mount,then mount the ACOG directly to the carry handle with a Trijicon TA53A mount kit. That will help a bunch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a LUCID HD7 Red Dot Sight, Gen III on it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 2:35:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I see now.

Honestly with A2 type sights they are best used without optics imo.

A flat top upper is what you need if you want to run optics, or you could try the Bushnell TRS-25 red dot.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:11:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Would this work better OP?

RRA A2 carry handle

Or maybe I am reading your posts wrong. Not exactly a "carry" handle, but has a lower profile to mount optics.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

RRA A2 carry handle

https://www.mapartsinc.com/products/310519711_Pge26-07.gif

http://www.galatiinternational.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/MD133.jpg

Or maybe I am reading your posts wrong. Not exactly a "carry" handle, but has a lower profile to mount optics.
View Quote
OP's rear sight cant be removed.

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I had the same set up as you didn't like it I changed out to a flat top. If you really won't to stay with what you have remove the rail and get an ACOG.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 10:40:00 AM EDT
[#12]
The only optics that belong in the carry handle are ACOGs. Everything else will be way too high, and damn near unusable for accurate shooting.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 12:05:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

RRA A2 carry handle
https://www.mapartsinc.com/products/310519711_Pge26-07.gif
http://www.galatiinternational.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/MD133.jpg

Ohhhhhhhhh. Gotcha. There's always a catch
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 4:02:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Primary Arms is coming out with some affordable scopes that will mount onto a carry handle/Acog mount. A 2.5x and a 4x.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 7:13:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The only optics that belong in the carry handle are ACOGs. Everything else will be way too high, and damn near unusable for accurate shooting.
View Quote

I have a rifle with the old Colt Optics/Hakko 4x rifle scope mounted directly on the handle. I can shoot 1.5" groups@100 yds. with it all day. The problem with the high mounted scope is that at shorter distances the accuracy of the scope crosshair position quickly declines. The sight picture will be considerably higher at 50 yds. or closer.. The advantage as I see it, with the handle mount is that it allows unrestricted access to the standard battle sights below so they can be used and sighted for anything under and including 50 yds. A scope mounted on the low mount Picatinny flat top receiver system is superior but I dislike those angled side sights that owners use as back up sight. The handle mount is indeed a compromise but it can be made to work satisfactorily. .
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:30:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I have a rifle with the old Colt Optics/Hakko 4x rifle scope mounted directly on the handle. I can shoot 1.5" groups@100 yds. with it all day. The problem with the high mounted scope is that at shorter distances the accuracy of the scope crosshair position quickly declines. The sight picture will be considerably higher at 50 yds. or closer.. The advantage as I see it, with the handle mount is that it allows unrestricted access to the standard battle sights below so they can be used and sighted for anything under and including 50 yds. A scope mounted on the low mount Picatinny flat top receiver system is superior but I dislike those angled side sights that owners use as back up sight. The handle mount is indeed a compromise but it can be made to work satisfactorily. .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh??? Regardless of scope position, once it is sighted in, point of impact remains the same throughout the ballistic range. For a 223/556 carbine with an optic mounted on top of the carrying handle, its aiming point is  more than 3.5" above the bore line so the offset point between 25 yds and less will be somewhere in the same neighborhood of 3.5".

Also, it is not the scope position so high that one can't shoot accurately, it is the lack of consistent cheek weld when the shooter has to 'crane' his neck to see the optic.

Back to the original question, OP, there is no such thing as super low profile optic for carrying handle.  The original AR wasn't designed as optic-friendly platform, thus the change to A3/4 upper with detachable carrying handle/rear sight.  Your best bet is to yank out the A2 receiver and drop in an flat top for about 100 bux (with reclaimed port door/fw assist from the A2) and be done.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:13:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:39:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Back to the original question, OP, there is no such thing as super low profile optic for carrying handle.  The original AR wasn't designed as optic-friendly platform, thus the change to A3/4 upper with detachable carrying handle/rear sight.  Your best bet is to yank out the A2 receiver and drop in an flat top for about 100 bux (with reclaimed port door/fw assist from the A2) and be done.
View Quote

+1 I agree with this, just change your upper receiver with a flat top if you want to use optics.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#19]
C More Scout Rail will do wonders for you, plus it will let you cowitness.

I put one on my A2 and it's easily the best mount purchase I've made yet.

Not my pic

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top