Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/3/2012 10:38:09 AM EDT
I want to get some FDE covers for my quad rail. Which are better?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 10:43:03 AM EDT
[#1]
It depends on what you want; XTM panels can be cut to any lenght and are quick to put on/take off. LT Index Clips are smaller and provides you a more "customized" fit, but they are small and might be a bit time consuming to install. I only have experience with the XTM panels and i liked them.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 10:54:14 AM EDT
[#2]
honestly I prefer the Larue index clips over the Magpul XTM once.

I guess you will have to try them out to see what your preference is.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 11:08:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, probably best. Anyone know where I can get the larue clips? I can't find them on CTD.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 11:14:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 11:22:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yeah, probably best. Anyone know where I can get the larue clips? I can't find them on CTD.

yes, go to LaRue's website

i dont get why people still use CTD...they are not cheap anymore
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 11:39:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Larue Tactical Index Clips all the way.  I have tried ladders and a few other covers but once I got ahold of my LT Index Clips the rest went on EE.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:30:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I use both . . .

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:44:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I use Larue index clips on 4 rifles. They are extremely low profile and I can install as many as necessary to cover the slots between accessories.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:09:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I've tried full rail covers and ladder covers from various manufacturers, and none have the ease of configuration of the Index Clips.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:31:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:59:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Index clips were not meant to be full-rail covers, and they are a pain in the ass to remove one-at-a-time if you reconfigure things a lot when you go shooting. Even if you don't, there are better covers to use. I see a lot of rifles covered in index clips, even on the top rail. I don't know why people do that. Its their gun though, so who gives a shit about my opinion.

If you want a rail cover, get a rail cover.

I like the KAC covers and LaRue Handstops, and I generally use index clips to index them(go figure).

Index clips are fucking awesome, but they suck dick as rail covers when comparing them to other rail covers.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:48:48 PM EDT
[#12]
How they are not mean to be full-rail covers?  

It's easy to remove with LaRue Dillo.

Compare to other rail covers LaRue is small and cover less area, but still gets the job done.

Quoted:

Index clips were not meant to be full-rail covers, and they are a pain in the ass to remove one-at-a-time if you reconfigure things a lot when you go shooting. Even if you don't, there are better covers to use. I see a lot of rifles covered in index clips, even on the top rail. I don't know why people do that. Its their gun though, so who gives a shit about my opinion.

I like the KAC covers and LaRue Handstops, and I generally use index clips to index them(go figure).

Index clips are fucking awesome, but they suck dick as rail covers when comparing them to other rail covers.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:50:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I like index clips and I use them as rail covers. They are slim profile, lightweight and they do protect the rails. I had Magpul XTM's. I found them to be bulky and aesthetically unpleasing. Personal preference is all.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:55:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

How they are not mean to be full-rail covers?  

It's easy to remove with LaRue Dillo.

Compare to other rail covers LaRue is small and cover less area, but still gets the job done.  

The name "index clips" tells you what they are meant for. You can either pop 10 of them off one by one, or just slide a rail cover off instead.

If you need to fill one or two slots they are ideal, but some cover entire rails with them where a regular rail cover is a better insulator, and more convenient to use.

People can do with their rifles as they wish, though.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:57:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I like index clips and I use them as rail covers. They are slim profile, lightweight and they do protect the rails. I had Magpul XTM's. I found them to be bulky and aesthetically unpleasing. Personal preference is all.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/FP2000H/AR%20pictures/DSCN3219.jpg

Nothing wrong with that.

I have my own preference, but your rifle certainly looks more interesting than mine.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:59:03 PM EDT
[#16]
The magpul  ones are so big and bulky and not really comfortable to hold. The Index clips are perfect in any way.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:01:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The magpul  ones are so big and bulky and not really comfortable to hold. The Index clips are perfect in any way.

The Tangodown SCAR panels are awesome, and so are the KAC covers. Both are inexpensive, and awesome.

Way better than index clips, especially if you occasionally mount lights and cameras on your rails.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:03:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I've used both and prefer the index clips, the xtm panels are to bulky for me.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:15:35 AM EDT
[#19]
<Off-topc comment removed - Z>

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:19:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It depends on what you want; XTM panels can be cut to any lenght and are quick to put on/take off. LT Index Clips are smaller and provides you a more "customized" fit, but they are small and might be a bit time consuming to install. I only have experience with the XTM panels and i liked them.

the XTM panels can only be cut in HALF, they require at least one set of the locking tabs to hold them in place, and the XTM panels are not quick to take on and off.

as for profile, the XTM panels are slightly lower in profile than the KAC panels which (i've used both). The TD/SCAR panels are much too bulky.

the LT index clips are lower profile, and require no cutting, at the price of less protection to the rail itself. I currently use them on two of my AR's
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:48:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:40:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:33:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:40:36 AM EDT
[#24]
I've tried both, and prefer the index clips.  They both had a nice grip, but the XTM panels felt too fat.  I prefer the slimmer profile of the index clips.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:57:10 AM EDT
[#25]

Index clips all the way.  Easy and quick to install or remove, although I could see someone who is not mechanically inclined having problems - they probably had issues with legos as a child also.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:55:16 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Index clips all the way.  Easy and quick to install or remove, although I could see someone who is not mechanically inclined having problems - they probably had issues with legos as a child also.

I personally like the Index clips better. I had the XTMs at one time. The index clips have less bulk and a better feel to them if you are holding the forearm. I personally think they are easier to take off/ put on than the XTMs. While I do like LaRue products a lot, I don't have the dilusion that they are the end all, be all. Show me a better product that will suit my needs better, and I will switch.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:36:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:44:20 AM EDT
[#28]
i first filled my rails w/ XTM covers.

They were very nice.  However, they are a real SOB to take off, and Out of 2 dozen, 2 pairs would never lock together.

I ordered a set of Index clips, and will never use any other type of rail cover.

the ease of installation, customization capability, and the extra few clips that have a little hook for my weapon light's chord, and the ones w. small extensions to hold my pressure switch, add function that is heads and heals over anything else.

plus they add less width, look cooler and feel better in my hands.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:13:57 AM EDT
[#29]
go with the larue clips they are awesome! plus larue is top notch
garrett
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top