Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/2/2011 5:27:27 PM EDT
Here's the scoop.  I have a Comp M2 and at first I was in love with how fast this thing was.  I've always been a ACOG fan but decided to try an Aimpoint.  The problem is my eyes.  I have an astigmatism and sometimes it really F's up my sight picture.  Most of the time the dot is crisp but a few times while varmit hunting last weekend the dot turned into 2 dots with a bar running in between them and cost me a couple kills.  

I wear contacts and someday will get Lasik done to correct my vision.  My question is about the astigmatism.  Will surgery correct this or am I stuck with this problem no matter what?  If so, I'm selling the Aimpoint and sticking with my TA33.  Hopefully some you guys that have had the surgery can comment about this.  Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 5:34:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Here's the scoop.  I have a Comp M2 and at first I was in love with how fast this thing was.  I've always been a ACOG fan but decided to try an Aimpoint.  The problem is my eyes.  I have an astigmatism and sometimes it really F's up my sight picture.  Most of the time the dot is crisp but a few times while varmit hunting last weekend the dot turned into 2 dots with a bar running in between them and cost me a couple kills.  

I wear contacts and someday will get Lasik done to correct my vision.  My question is about the astigmatism.  Will surgery correct this or am I stuck with this problem no matter what?  If so, I'm selling the Aimpoint and sticking with my TA33.  Hopefully some you guys that have had the surgery can comment about this.  Any help is appreciated.

I have astigmatism too, I also have a Comp M2.  I have experienced similar issues while hunting with a low sun.
On overcast days or in shade, never any issues at all.
I can't use an Eotech at all, drives me nuts.

My understanding is sometimes the surgery can correct the astigmatism, but not in all cases. I would not dump the aimpoint though, still a great optic.

I would also be interested to see if anyone has any first hand experience with astigmatism, lasik and red dots.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 5:44:50 PM EDT
[#2]
In my case there is no rhyme or reason of when it happens except when I really need it not to...
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 5:46:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll give ya 50 bucks and a candy bar of your choice for it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 5:50:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Same predicament I have, but in my case is my EOtech 511.A65 Rev F. Wanna change it for a TA31, but I don;t have the 1K plus to drop for one; I even have an M16A4, that is begging me for a TA31-A4RCO.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 5:58:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Tag.

Also for those who have experience with the topic:  would the 1.5x Trijicons and/or leupold prismatic be a good alternative for those with astigmatisms?
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 6:16:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the TA44 Green Circle Dot and have no problems even with my lazy eye condition.

I love the Micro Acog. Highly recommned and very underated sight.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 6:19:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Dumping Aimpoint?

Eotech fan?
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 6:20:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Dumping Aimpoint?

Eotech fan?

Negative.  I already dumped the Eotech years ago.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 6:21:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 6:27:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That sucks

Thats it?  Thats all you got?
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 6:41:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
That sucks

Thats it?  Thats all you got?

I really have pretty much only used an aimpoint for 6 or 7 years. Would something with a smaller dot be easier or have you looked through the trijicon variable power scopes. Have you considered a laser?  

i wonder if we have an optometrist who shoots competitively herre? My optometrist shoots, but only cowboy action shooting. I don't think he owns an optic.

I dont think the dot size would fix anything.  The last time it happened was at night and I had the intensity dialed down/ the dot was very small.  I have used an accupoint but I seem to do better with my TA33.  

An optometrists input would be nice.  Can you put out a site alert for one to come in here.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 6:45:30 PM EDT
[#13]
As a recent astigmatism sufferer, let me say that any optic w/an adjustable diopter (like the Leupold Prismatic or your std variable scopes) should correct your astigmatism. I can't comment on ACOGs as I haven't had the opportunity to try one. However, going to a diopter-adjustable optic has made a *big* difference for me (YMMV) now that both reticle and targert are clear & crisp.
I suggest going w/the lasik and check your astigmatism afterwards. If gone stick w/your M2, and if still present go w/another optic.
HTH...
Tomac
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 9:45:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Lasik won't fix astigmatism as far as I know, just the basic deficiency of the vision. I have astigmatism myself and have no issues with seeing the dot or focusing on it, however my color issues with red sometimes screw things up for me. I CANNOT use a red ACOG, amber I'm fine but red is worthless to me in the ACOGs. I switched from RDS to magnified red dots, Millett DMS1 and the like, a couple years ago and have been happy ever since. My vision is 20/50 ish in both eyes and I dont wear contacts or glasses currently. Have in the past, but have been without for nearly 2 years now. Ive got a shooting buddy that had lasik a few years ago and loves his Eotech, but says it's grainy on any setting, like "looking at sandpaper through a microscope". Ive read similar online from other people who've had lasik done.
HTH
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 11:23:11 PM EDT
[#15]
My experiences align with Tomac.  APs look like blobby messes to me so I now use 1-4x variables, which produce clear and precise reticules.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 1:17:44 AM EDT
[#16]
You have to use what works for you. If the ACOG works better for you then do it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 5:22:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My experiences align with Tomac.  APs look like blobby messes to me so I now use 1-4x variables, which produce clear and precise reticules.

Never had an Aimpoint, but I have a Tasco Pro Point that I bought as a cheap experiment (durability testing on an 870-it passed). I always thought it just had a crappy star shaped dot until I got different contacts. I was baffled when I took the 870 out and saw a perfect round dot inside. With variables I never have trouble with the reticle, only red dots.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 7:15:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Call
John Enloe                                                                  
Manager, Marketing & Technical Support
Aimpoint Inc, USA
14103 Mariah Court
Chantilly, VA 20151
Phone:            +1 (703)263-9795 ext 223
Fax:               +1 (703)263-9463
[email protected]

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 7:52:42 AM EDT
[#19]
For me, focusing on the target (not the dot) helps get the blob dot more crisp and round.  Also, looking through the rear peep of my BUIS at the red-dot causes the red-dot to appear sharper.

Since the red-dot may be perfect for CQB /HD application, maybe just stick to an ACOG or something magnified for hunting?
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 8:58:12 AM EDT
[#20]
The ACOG will cure your woes.  Mine works great with my astigmatism.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 10:01:02 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Dumping Aimpoint?

Eotech fan?

Did you even bother to read the OP?

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 10:23:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Call
John Enloe                                                                  
Manager, Marketing & Technical Support
Aimpoint Inc, USA
14103 Mariah Court
Chantilly, VA 20151
Phone:            +1 (703)263-9795 ext 223
Fax:               +1 (703)263-9463
[email protected]

Is John going to bless him and cure his blindness? This makes no sence with the OP's issues
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 10:27:32 AM EDT
[#23]
OP,

I have the same issues as you.

My eyes have been slowly getting worse over the last 10 years. I've had Eotech's, Aimpoint Ml3's, T-1, even tried the anti reflector shade trick.

Didn't work. My eyes just don't work well with red dot's any longer.

My advice is to sell your Aimpoint and look at a good quality 1-4X scope.

I have a Nightforce, any of the good ones work, the solid black dot in my reticule is easy for me to see and my eyes don't play the fuzzy blob two dot game that they do with Red dot's. The other benefit is the magnification that helps in general at distance.

Draw back being weight and cost, but such is life.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 10:31:21 AM EDT
[#24]
I wear contacts and had problems with reflex sights and even magnified scope reticles going out of focus.  My optometrist reduced my prescription 1/4 diopter, and everything is clear now (He is an avid hunter). He stated that normally they round up to the closest power, which makes distant objects sharper.  The downside is that you get a reduced minimum focal length (harder to focus on close up objects).

Your Opt. may give you a trial pair of contacts to see if it helps.

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 10:58:23 AM EDT
[#25]
You say it only happens when you need it not to, does this mean it happens under somewhat stressful conditions?  I have found that my aimpoint's dot can get fuzzy when I focus on the dot or the target is very close, but at longer ranges it's a clear dot.  Maybe under the stress of having an animal in your sights you focus on the dot which causes it to distort.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 11:26:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yes, Lasik will definitely correct your astigmatism (if you're a candidate for Lasik that is?). Some individuals have very thin corneas and are not candidates for Lasik surgery...this is a very small percentage though. I had Lasik done in early 2005 - today, I'm 20/15 in both eyes with No Astigmatism. Pre surgery I had 20/325 in the right eye and 20/275 w/a horrible astigmatism in the left (as a reference). The only side effect (most commom w/all Lasik patients) is - I have some minor glare & halos at night while looking at headlights, street lights, etc. Otherwise, perfect vision - would I go through it again? In a New York minute - you can bet the farm I would, best $$ I've ever spent!

my $0.02

Sakic #19
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 11:43:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
OP,

I have the same issues as you.

My eyes have been slowly getting worse over the last 10 years. I've had Eotech's, Aimpoint Ml3's, T-1, even tried the anti reflector shade trick.

Didn't work. My eyes just don't work well with red dot's any longer.

My advice is to sell your Aimpoint and look at a good quality 1-4X scope.

I have a Nightforce, any of the good ones work, the solid black dot in my reticule is easy for me to see and my eyes don't play the fuzzy blob two dot game that they do with Red dot's. The other benefit is the magnification that helps in general at distance.

Draw back being weight and cost, but such is life.

I know a 1-4 could be a solution but I would rather not have to go that route.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 11:43:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I wear contacts and had problems with reflex sights and even magnified scope reticles going out of focus.  My optometrist reduced my prescription 1/4 diopter, and everything is clear now (He is an avid hunter). He stated that normally they round up to the closest power, which makes distant objects sharper.  The downside is that you get a reduced minimum focal length (harder to focus on close up objects).

Your Opt. may give you a trial pair of contacts to see if it helps.  

Thanks for the info I will bring this up at my next appointment with him.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 11:45:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You say it only happens when you need it not to, does this mean it happens under somewhat stressful conditions?  I have found that my aimpoint's dot can get fuzzy when I focus on the dot or the target is very close, but at longer ranges it's a clear dot.  Maybe under the stress of having an animal in your sights you focus on the dot which causes it to distort.

It happens at home too, not just when I'm using it for serious use.  Far or close objects do not have a bearing on it and even when I am not focusing on the dot.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 11:48:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, Lasik will definitely correct your astigmatism (if you're a candidate for Lasik that is?). Some individuals have very thin corneas and are not candidates for Lasik surgery...this is a very small percentage though. I had Lasik done in early 2005 - today, I'm 20/15 in both eyes with No Astigmatism. Pre surgery I had 20/325 in the right eye and 20/275 w/a horrible astigmatism in the left (as a reference). The only side effect (most commom w/all Lasik patients) is - I have some minor glare & halos at night while looking at headlights, street lights, etc. Otherwise, perfect vision - would I go through it again? In a New York minute - you can bet the farm I would, best $$ I've ever spent!

my $0.02

Sakic #19

Thanks this is definately good to hear.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 3:27:39 PM EDT
[#31]
prismatic dcd reticle

i run a RMR @ 12 oclock on top
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 3:44:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
prismatic dcd reticle

i run a RMR @ 12 oclock on top

Care to elaborate on the Loopy?

Are you saying you run a red dot on top of a 1x scope?

ETA:  Nevermind I just saw the other thread.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 5:14:52 PM EDT
[#33]

try picking up a cheap low power pair of reading glasses...it worked for me...
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:58:18 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a bit of an astigmatism and just bought an Aimpoint.

The dot does look  fuzzy, but I still feel I can use it with ease.

That said, with my glasses, the fuzz disappears and it is a very very sharp dot.

For what its worth, I have trouble picking up the BDC on ACOG's without glasses, but the chevron is fine.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top