Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2010 1:34:51 PM EDT
I'm up north at an Air Force Base near the border, and finally saw some Aimpoint M4S's in the wild. Security forces here are using them almost 80% on their rifles. Some Comp M2's still, but mostly the new M4S (high battery mount).

Maybe no real news, but news to me to finally see some newer stuff out there.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:40:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
but mostly the new M4S (high battery mount).

FYI the M4 is the high battery mount and the M4S is the low.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:45:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I was shooting with my Aimpoint M4 today, and lamenting how my eyes are getting worse and the 2MOA dot is more of an 8MOA sparkly banana these days.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:46:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Some of the CATM instructors had M4 aimpoints on their demonstration rifles before I separated last year. I asked if we (cops) would be seeing those anytime soon and they told me it was a matter of how quickly the M2s broke and needed to be replaced.

I think I was lied to.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:11:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I was shooting with my Aimpoint M4 today, and lamenting how my eyes are getting worse and the 2MOA dot is more of an 8MOA sparkly banana these days.

Yup. Aimpoints are a young mans game.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:54:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yup.  I wonder if lasik surgery can fix that.  What's the cause of that loss of clarity of the dot?  Is that symptomatic of an astigmatism?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:02:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I've heard that a killflash will fix that. Might be somthing to look into before you can a ~$700 sight.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:15:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been told that a magnifier will compensate for "old guy eye" and make the dot look clear. Has anyone tried this or the killflash?

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:21:24 AM EDT
[#8]
i see 100s every day but then i am in afghanistan
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:28:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've heard that a killflash will fix that. Might be somthing to look into before you can a ~$700 sight.

I have killflashes on a couple of my Aimpoints.  Doesn't seem to help much in my case.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:31:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
[Yup. Aimpoints are a young mans game.

Really?

I'd have thought the opposite - everything in one plane & all that.

I'm 51, and I have a Meopta K-dot 1-4x on my M4gery.  Works great except the the total weapon weighs more than my GI-clone A2.  I was thinking about going Aimpoint to get the weight down - mistake?

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:14:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been told that a magnifier will compensate for "old guy eye" and make the dot look clear. Has anyone tried this or the killflash?

If it was "sparkly" you had it set too bright probably.  Only turn it up as high as you need to see the dot.  The top setting "razzle dazzle" is for fighting in VERY bright conditions (i.e. snow + sun)

Then, don't look at the dot.  Look at the target, with both eyes open.

I'm not taking you for stupid, so if you were doing this already I'm out of suggestions.  Just trying to help, and the above two solutions work for new users, young and old, all the time.  At least once a week someone posts a question on this board asking if their new $500 optic is faulty or a forgery.  Most of the time, the two solutions above work, but sometimes, our eyes just do not cooperate, and no good solution exists.

Also, from what I understand, a magnifier will enhance any behavioral issues (make worse) a red dot has with your eyes.  I have not seen this myself as my eyes deal with the dot fine, but that is based on my research.  Ironically, the EOtech laser-generated reticle is supposedly enhanced in it's clarity with magnifiers.  (this I can attest to being truthful, at least for my eyes).

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:45:42 PM EDT
[#12]
M4 is excellent. I'm 59 and its great. I don't see clearly thru the Aimpoint 3x, but use another thats has the fast focus eyepiece
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:36:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Without contacts any red dot is utterly useless for me. My eyes aren't that bad, but apparently my astigmatism is.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:49:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
i see 100s every day but then i am in afghanistan

LOL. Thanks man.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:26:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Thank you for your service brother... Stay safe.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:49:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Sometimes the culprit is astigmatism, but other times it is simply a matter of the lens in your eye getting more and more rigid with age.  Makes it harder to focus clearly on small, bright things in low contrast areas.  See if the problem goes away when you take it outside on a sunny day.  If not, it may be in fact astigmatism.  If it does go away, you may just be rigid

BTW - the flashkill thing does not work for me either...
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:22:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Remember, you're not supposed to ever focus on the dot. Open both eyes and focus on your target. The dot should come into focus then. If you try and focus on it directly, it shouldn't look correct.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:56:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Remember, you're not supposed to ever focus on the dot. Open both eyes and focus on your target. The dot should come into focus then. If you try and focus on it directly, it shouldn't look correct.

Gee thanks for the pointer.  When I bought my first Aimpoint 13 years ago, it worked fine.  I guess I just forgot how to use it.

Next time I go to the eye doctor I'll print this thread out and call him a liar for telling me my eyes are fucked up...
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:31:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have found the magnifier improves the dot.  Also, just peeping through the small aperture of my backup sight improves the dot.  Both of these are indicative of astigmatism for me.  People can make "pinhole" glasses the same way, and see clearly through a small hole when they forget their glasses.   If I wore glasses, I'd probably look into changing my prescription, but I don't, and other than astigmatism, still see alright.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:33:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it was "sparkly" you had it set too bright probably.  Only turn it up as high as you need to see the dot.  The top setting "razzle dazzle" is for fighting in VERY bright conditions (i.e. snow + sun)

Then, don't look at the dot.  Look at the target, with both eyes open.

I'm not taking you for stupid, so if you were doing this already I'm out of suggestions.  Just trying to help, and the above two solutions work for new users, young and old, all the time.  At least once a week someone posts a question on this board asking if their new $500 optic is faulty or a forgery.  Most of the time, the two solutions above work, but sometimes, our eyes just do not cooperate, and no good solution exists.

Also, from what I understand, a magnifier will enhance any behavioral issues (make worse) a red dot has with your eyes.  I have not seen this myself as my eyes deal with the dot fine, but that is based on my research.  Ironically, the EOtech laser-generated reticle is supposedly enhanced in it's clarity with magnifiers.  (this I can attest to being truthful, at least for my eyes).

Thanks for the advice.  I do try and set it as low as possible.   And for me anyways, the magnifier actually improves the situation.   I've tried Eotechs in the store, and again for my eyes, they don't work any better than a red dot.  I tried them with this in mind as I noticed the dot getting worse the last few years.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:55:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

can anyone tell me why that is,  advantages, disadvantages?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:56:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

can anyone tell me why that is,  advantages, disadvantages?

I brought the low, and the one issue I ran into was when I mounted it on an MSAR, which has the charging handle on the left side, that the standard mount it comes with had the thumb screws really getting in the way of the charging handle when I tried to charge it.  I thought I could just reverse the side the thumbscrews stuck out on, but found it impossible with the M4S.  The M4 high battery version would not have been an issue to do this.  In the end, I got a Larue mount, which solved all my problems for mounting on any gun.

The only operator issue I could see is that you do have to adjust the intensity knob depending on how lighting conditions in the target area change (even from shadowy in the day to sun lit areas near each other), and you may have a preference when reaching to turn the knob of having it either high or low.  I have no problem with low.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:10:51 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gee thanks for the pointer.  When I bought my first Aimpoint 13 years ago, it worked fine.  I guess I just forgot how to use it.

Next time I go to the eye doctor I'll print this thread out and call him a liar for telling me my eyes are fucked up...

Ok, wow... really? I wasn't trying to be rude. I myself wear glasses and have astigmatism. Even if I'm really careful to focus on the target, the dot stretches a little and my eye wants to focus on the dot.

Lemmie just jot myself a little note to remember to never try and be helpful around here cuz you get shat on for it.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:48:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, wow... really? I wasn't trying to be rude. I myself wear glasses and have astigmatism. Even if I'm really careful to focus on the target, the dot stretches a little and my eye wants to focus on the dot.

Lemmie just jot myself a little note to remember to never try and be helpful around here cuz you get shat on for it.

Maybe his prunes didn't do their job this morning and he's a little on edge?

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:26:49 PM EDT
[#25]
I had an M4S and sold it.  I had an ML3 2 MOA in a Larue cantilever mount and loved it.  Became stupid and thought I needed the latest greatest thing and sold it.  I struggled a lot with the M4 having a half reflected lens and also had issues with the dot swirling around.  I tried with and without killflash.  I actually think  that the unit worked better without the killflash.  I wish I would have kept my ML3.  That's what happens when you sell a perfectly operating component and think you're going to get something better.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top