Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/6/2010 6:34:55 AM EDT
So I just picked up a brand new Aimpoint Comp ML2 and Im afraid Im disappointed. My previous experience was only with the eotech sights so I thought I would try something different.
My problem is that the dot on this thing is barely visible until the 5th click in indoor lighting conditions. (no I dont have the NV model) and outdoor in very bright sunny conditions (like today) the seventh click is the minimum I can use and gets completely washed out against white surfaces. Is this normal? I dont know if I should send it back or this is to be expected with the aimpoints. Let me know
Thank You
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:38:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you tighten the battery cover as far as it would go?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:51:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Did you tighten the battery cover as far as it would go?

Battery cover is tight as can be .
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:58:27 AM EDT
[#3]
You have to make the dot brighter when there's more ambient light? Oh no!

It's fine.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:05:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Perfectly fine.  I just bought a new ML3 and love the thing.

9 daylight positions on the switch with the 10th position being off.  One is extra bright.  I use mine on 6 or 7 outside depending on how bright it is.

On the lower positions, try it at night.  I can't see my dot until number 3 I think.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:26:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:52:40 AM EDT
[#6]
For many people this is the deal killer on Aimpoints.  Most people don't care.  In bright day light, it needs to be up high, the lower positions are used for night time...not just night vision.  remember it's a combat optic and war doesnt stop when the sun goes down.  You are going to want the #1 and #2 position when no moon is out.  

But this is one reason people don't like them.  If you dont shoot at night, why spend all that money on an optic set up 50% of the time to do just that...lol
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:00:07 AM EDT
[#7]
The three that I have (including a ML2) does the same thing. Yours seems to functioning within the designed specs. Enjoy, you made a wise choice.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:17:44 AM EDT
[#8]
IIRC (mine is at home) positions 1(starting)-4(3 clicks clockwise) are NVG only, so forget seeing them, 5-10 are normal eyesight and you ought to be able to see them (5 is barely . 6 is a maybe , 7 ,8,9 are where it works best, 10 starts to bloom),
also when you start to get wierd holographic BS like an eotech(im an aimpoint fan boy, if i had found an eotech on sale it would be the reverse) battery life really decreases.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:15:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
For many people this is the deal killer on Aimpoints.  Most people don't care.  In bright day light, it needs to be up high, the lower positions are used for night time...not just night vision.  remember it's a combat optic and war doesnt stop when the sun goes down.  You are going to want the #1 and #2 position when no moon is out.  

But this is one reason people don't like them.  If you dont shoot at night, why spend all that money on an optic set up 50% of the time to do just that...lol

if it is the same price, or less, as other optics that are obviously sub-par, why NOT get it.     laugh out loud...................for no obvious reason
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:51:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

WTF????

How is this a deal breaker......??

OP, there is nothing wrong with your Aimpoint... You turn it to the setting that allows you to see the reticle in whatever light condition you happen to be in.. that's the whole point of the Rheostat. If it's dark out, your only need a few clicks. If it's bright.. you turn it up....Just like your EOTech. (except your won't have to change your batteries for about 5 years.... Your over thinking it....
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:14:13 PM EDT
[#11]
wow maybe I will just keep my strike fire and forget an aimpoint ,  sorry couldnt resist  . from what i have seen from other people I shoot with I think your worried over nothing,  they have to turn there aimpoints up in the bright sun light the same as us with different brands . bright light = bright dot needed .
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top