Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2010 9:47:59 AM EDT
Looking for some info on one of these units.  I have seen many around for sale, and the legality of them is questionable. Hell, they are on ebay for $2,950.00, who can purchase and looking for info on owning one.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:36:35 PM EDT
[#1]
If you need to Ask you don't need one ,eather your legit Leo/mill sign Off or not so cowboy up and buy one if you Want  one however you can   or stop this crap fishing..you know the answer already ..
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:15:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If you need to Ask you don't need one ,eather your legit Leo/mill sign Off or not so cowboy up and buy one if you Want  one however you can   or stop this crap fishing..you know the answer already ..

This. If you needed one, you wouldn't be looking on ebay :)
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:16:56 PM EDT
[#3]
To answer your question, only the initial sale of any IR laser or illuminator is controlled.  It seems that the FDA has limited the NEW sale of these items to .gov or law enforcement only and from what I have been reading, .gov seem to be the only ones that can buy these units new.  The secondary sale however, is not controlled and the general public can by them, if you have the funds.  Only the sale from the manufacturer is controlled.  

Anyone please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:36:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

So, is this an informative forum, or a chest-thumping tough-guy forum?  An IR laser/illuminator is hardly nefarious in the hands of an individual w/ nvg, and we shouldn't assume that there would be such use with the exception of accidentally damaging one own's eyesight or overactive imagination.

"You don't need one" could be applied to military style rifles altogether.  Scary thought.  Maybe we should help answer the guy's questions and if he really doesn't need one, he can spend his funds as he sees fit.  "Need" is not relevant.

The item is on the open market and unregulated in limited numbers.  Be thankful for that, or deal with it.  

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:14:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you  have a nightvision set up now?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:47:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
To answer your question, only the initial sale of any IR laser or illuminator is controlled.  It seems that the FDA has limited the NEW sale of these items to .gov or law enforcement only and from what I have been reading, .gov seem to be the only ones that can buy these units new.  The secondary sale however, is not controlled and the general public can by them, if you have the funds.  Only the sale from the manufacturer is controlled.  

Anyone please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

I'm in general agreement with the information that you provided with the caveat that possession is controlled by state law.  Certain states do control the possession of these devices. I don't believe that there are any federal laws constraining the possession and use of IR lasers. The FDA is a regulatory body and enforces regulation of manufacture. When I discussed these units with them the main concern the Investigator seemed to have was if the unit had all of the appropriate warning stickers. Other that than that he said it check with my state ref radiation emission laws.

Also important to note that, IMO, the regulated "1st sale" and non-regulated resale of these types of units have created sort of a strange grey market. Quite a few of the units that I've looked at over the years have had the ser# removed. When I asked the sellers why I was often told that this was done to preclude retribution by the manufacturer.  It seems that some of the manufactures will black-ball dealers if it's established that they sold a bonafide unit to the general public, even it was sold legally, i.e. LE turn in.  On that note, the common perception is that a removed ser# automatically means that the unit is stolen USG property. I don't agree.

Important to note:

- eBay is a dangerous place to buy this type of unit. Not saying that you can't find a good, honest deal but chances are also high that something is amiss.

- Buy new or close to new if you decide to purchase one. My understanding is that the manufactures will confiscate any unit sent to them for repair so best buy one that will work for a while.

- The best that I've seen for legit paperwork is a copy of the purchase order that shows the unit's ser#. I'd say if you have this there's a good chance that everything is legit.

- Many, if not most, of these units are legally obtained as discussed above.  Some, I assume, are stolen property and it should be somewhat obvious if the one you're looking at is a battle field bring back.  Ref the bring-backs....IMO this is rare. The days of getting blown up as an excuse to come up missing gear are over. 100% accountability comes shortly after any operation, good or bad, and missing equipment is very serious. If there's a legit reason that the gear's gone then statements are submitted and new gear issued when available. The BL is that losing a PEQ-15 is the same as coming up short a 240G.....frowned upon to say the least and very, very serious business.

If the unit you're looking at is new and has everything with it as sold from ITI such as manual, pattern generators, case, etc..then I'd say it stands to reason that it's most likely legit, just a resale.

Finally, all of the above ref finding a legit device is academic if it's confiscated as being suspected stolen USG property as you'll have to prove that it was purchased legally. Very hard to do without a manufacture's or dealers bill of sale.  

You pays your money and takes your chances.....

Here's a link to a sticky in the lights and lasers section FDA response to query ref IR lasers. Which brings us to the question as to why this got moved to Optics, mounts and sights instead of lights and lasers...?

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:57:23 AM EDT
[#7]
your correct on all counts,I jumped the gun..

OP these guys are right go buy one and enjoy !

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, is this an informative forum, or a chest-thumping tough-guy forum?  An IR laser/illuminator is hardly nefarious in the hands of an individual w/ nvg, and we shouldn't assume that there would be such use with the exception of accidentally damaging one own's eyesight or overactive imagination.

"You don't need one" could be applied to military style rifles altogether.  Scary thought.  Maybe we should help answer the guy's questions and if he really doesn't need one, he can spend his funds as he sees fit.  "Need" is not relevant.

The item is on the open market and unregulated in limited numbers.  Be thankful for that, or deal with it.  

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:08:54 PM EDT
[#8]
ASM1 - Kudos to you for having the class to come back and say you were wrong on this one.  It's a free country and every honest/non-criminal person should have the right to go shooting and purchase/use/collect gear and accessories, including NVG, atpials, supressors, MGs, etc...as they see fit.  It's all about being an American and having the Liberty to do what makes you happy in a legal and fun manner.

I am not a LEO/mil guy, but I AM saving purchase an entire NVG or thermal setup!  It will be a blast to get out on the farm and shoot some hogs/coyotes/dillos, and to do some tactical night training too (if I can afford it).  The PEQ 15 seems great because it has a visible laser as well, which, it seems, would be great for low light / low signature applications.  I am saving for a PEQ15 + PVS14 monocular to use with a Recce style SPR 18" build with a 5-20x scope + T-1 combo.  Can't wait.

Proud to be an American!
EKSB

P.s. - what part of AL are you in?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:56:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Yea I was a dick,Not my normal reply...

Rainbowcity Gadsden..

Have private range to 1050 yards and do night shoots..

Hit my email if you want to come up..

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:14:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Build your own with brand-new/non-stolen components for roughly $150––

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:59:34 PM EDT
[#11]
ok ill bite. . .any more info on this roll your own aproach?

Thanks

Pat
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:17:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

your correct on all counts,I jumped the gun..

OP these guys are right go buy one and enjoy !

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/16/2010 4:57:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

ok ill bite. . .any more info on this roll your own aproach?

Thanks

Pat

Thought you'd never ask...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=18&t=273304

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top