Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2010 1:17:35 AM EDT
I would like to get an affordable red dot, both of these fit the bill. Any reason not to buy one? I'm still unsure which model I want...............but I do know that I can't spend Aimpoint money, thats ridiculous. I'm leaning towards the strikefire, but I have no good reason why.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:01:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Strikefire seems narrow if you put the supplied multiplier on it. it seems to eat  batteries IE short life .cr2 spendy so I forget where I got the last one. mount did not stay tight on 308 caliber rifle.the one i had was tough was running when i gave it away.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:24:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Reasons NOT to buy it?

-you plan on using it in a professional manner

-you have enough money to afford an Aimpoint in the first place

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:47:39 AM EDT
[#3]
vbfg135, when you say short batty. life how long do they last??
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:46:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got a SPARC I'm happy with.  I really like the 2 MOA dot it has.  The glass is clear and it holds a zero.  I had a problem with the dot flickering on and off after a shot when I first got it, but I really cranked down on the battery cover and it's been good ever since.  $200 for a decent, reliable red dot that comes with three different mounts and a 2x magnifier(kinda gimmicky, but kinda useful in some circumstances) is not a bad deal.  The lifetime, forever, no fault, no bullshit warranty is also a nice touch.  I'd buy another one.  It's not a Delta door kicker risk your life grade optic, but for a hobbyist, with 98% of ARFCOM is, it's fine.  

I'm also pretty happy with the Viper 2-7x32 scope from them I got for $170 on sale from SWFA.  Vortex would appear to be totally GTG from my perspective.  

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:29:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've got a SPARC I'm happy with.  I really like the 2 MOA dot it has.  The glass is clear and it holds a zero.  I had a problem with the dot flickering on and off after a shot when I first got it, but I really cranked down on the battery cover and it's been good ever since.  $200 for a decent, reliable red dot that comes with three different mounts and a 2x magnifier(kinda gimmicky, but kinda useful in some circumstances) is not a bad deal.  The lifetime, forever, no fault, no bullshit warranty is also a nice touch.  I'd buy another one.  It's not a Delta door kicker risk your life grade optic, but for a hobbyist, with 98% of ARFCOM is, it's fine.  

I'm also pretty happy with the Viper 2-7x32 scope from them I got for $170 on sale from SWFA.  Vortex would appear to be totally GTG from my perspective.    

+1

The only issue I had with my SPARC was the battery that came in the unit died after about 20 hours. But they include 2 batteries, and the second one has been fine. They claim battery life is ~600 hours on the medium setting, which is bright enough for me for all but the really sunny days.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:51:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Strikefire compared to comp4 it is short.I would say maybe 20 hours of day use or high setting.

Quoted:

vbfg135, when you say short batty. life how long do they last??

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:22:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Used aimpoint M2s are around $300, save your money and get something you won't regret latter.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:07:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

What he said

+ 1

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:26:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I would like to get an affordable red dot, both of these fit the bill. Any reason not to buy one? I'm still unsure which model I want...............but I do know that I can't spend Aimpoint money, thats ridiculous. I'm leaning towards the strikefire, but I have no good reason why.

I have used both Red Dot Scopes in the past, I cannot tell the difference between the two on the glass, the Aimpoint battery life will last you along time about 3-5000 hours. The SPARC is tough and will work for you, for the money you get alot compared to Aimpoint. Lifetime Warranty and so forth, I have not drained my battery yet on my SPARC and I have smacked it around pretty good, it still hold Zero and still works like new.

Just because it does not say Aimpoint does not mean it is a piece of shit, too many Internet-Commandos running a muck on this site, drinking Cool-Aid. The StrikeFire and Lucid HD7 are both good to go red dot optics and good quality for the money(both under $200.00 dollars) and they will both work in a operational environment. Just because it does not say Aimpoint is not a good enough reason to look at other optics for less money.

I have seen the EE board, and I am not impressed with "These So-called good deals" why pay new Aimpoint Prices for used? Vortex and Lucid Red Dot sites are good to go, I am sure the " all the Nay-Sayers and Flamers will say otherwise" but they all keep their shit locked up in a safe and use Primary Arms for the range only. I am sure some REMF/Pogue Poser with a military icon will claim something different, but I stand behind the Vortex since I use it everyday day. But if you have the money to spend on a Aimpoint get a Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:58:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Used aimpoint M2s are around $300, save your money and get something you won't regret latter.

Regret may be a little strong.  The overwhelming consensus is that Vortex offers an excellent deal (bang for your buck) across their entire product line.  I'm not saying I'd rather have a Strikefire than an M2, but I certainly wouldn't regret spending the $200 or whatever it is they cost on one.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:06:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I tried both the SPARC and regular unit. The field of view is just way too small.

They both seemed quality, had crisp dots, worked with first and second gen night scopes, was pretty much parallax free and no optical distortion. i wanted to keep the strikefire BUT>>>

The actual opening you can see thru in the scope has to be less than  25mm. Even smaller on the SPARC. like looking down a straw.

I returned them, just not for me..

Brent
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:04:32 PM EDT
[#12]
For the price it is a very good deal on the Vortex.

If you have coupon from SPG for $10 even better.

The SPARC is almost like using a H1 or T1 at about 22 mm, 2 moa, NVG certified. The Battery is good for between 120-4600 hours depending on what setting you have.

You also get a 2x Magnifier, (2) CR2354 batteries, High ,low,and Extra-High Riser, and they will Co-Witness w/BUIS. The SPARC only weighs in at about 5 oz.

I have not had my battery drain as some have said? And I use it every day (had it for almost 2 months now).

I had a Eliat Falcon on my Colt M4 before swapping it out to Spikes and the SPARC.

FOR the PRICE: Hands down will be the Vortex StrikeFire and SPARC and the LUCID HD7 which looks like a ACOG/EOTECH/AIMPOINT(It does get really good rave reviews)
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:37:31 PM EDT
[#13]
you can get a cr2 battery at wally world for less than 2 bucks and I have used the same one for the last 18 months . ( I turn it off when not in use )  .  I have had mine on my 458 socom and tried to shoot it loose with 500 rounds of heavy loads and it come through just fine . there is a guy who post in the variant and hunting forums here who uses one for pig hunting . I dont buy the narrow field of view thing . you are suppose to look through the optic with both eyes open and yes of course the field of view will get smaller if you use a magnifier . look through a variable power scope for instance and see what happens.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:34:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I have literally put five thousand rounds through my rifle using a Vortex Strike fire and have had no issues.  Also, some of you seem to forget.... THE AIMPOINT HAD TO START SOMEWHERE!!!!  dont forget that as you through your, "Aimpoint or no point" thoughts on this topic.  

per the Aimpoint website:

THE ORIGINAL
Aimpoint is the recognized worldwide leader and originator of the red dot sighting technology. After more than 30 years of working closely with military weapon systems experts, experienced hunters and marksmen around the world, Aimpoint red dot sights remain the No. 1 choice for combining speed and accuracy.

If the vortex is around in 2040, I guess I can pick up my second one.  For those of you who have been in the military, such as my self; there wil be no switching due to the history of product, but that does not mean it is not a good one.

I have both,  My aimpoint was issued to me,  My Vortex was purchased due to curiosity.  No complaints about either.  And yes, I know some marines using the vortex now in the new sand box
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:32:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Vortex Sparc is good to go; mine has seen at least 2000 rounds; never lost zero, never had it break. I've run through several rifle competitions with em, and it will hold up just fine.

Unless you're planning on running around the sandbox with your rifle, you'll do well to save the $200-300 from a aimpoint and go with Vortex. Good folks.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:32:45 AM EDT
[#16]
The fact that they advertise contests available to Team Members only in GD is a good enough reason for me to avoid them.

Or were you looking for more practical reasons, like for a few bucks more, you can get an Aimpoint, which is regarded as the best red dot optic on the planet?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:49:49 AM EDT
[#17]
A few more bucks is 200 of them. No reason not to get one at all. If you have the spare money, then get the AP. I dont see the problem with the Vortex.
Not everyone here is going to war, as much as they think they are. The intermediate priced RD's are fine for 95% of the people on here. I've
had a Burris for a few years now, and it's taken a few knocks. And it still runs great. And I would trust it for a HD/SD red dot.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:31:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

The fact that they advertise contests available to Team Members only in GD is a good enough reason for me to avoid them.

Or were you looking for more practical reasons, like for a few bucks more, you can get an Aimpoint, which is regarded as the best red dot optic on the planet?

And Larue doesn't? So I should not buy a Larue because they do give-a-ways?

I think some people have watched "The Hurt Locker" to many times.

A few bucks more on a AimPoint? Try several hundred dollars more. I am not on a two way range with hadji.

Even though Vortex would work fine.

ETA: EE Listing

I have a like new in box Aimpoint M3 4MOA for sale.

Picked up from another dealer about a year ago as new in the box, been sitting in the safe since.

Comes with the black rubber cover and all inserts.

$475 shipped

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:58:25 AM EDT
[#19]
The Strike Fire got the NTOA (National Tactical Officers Association) seal of approval, which is pretty good in my book. If was really a POS, they would not have listed it. I have one on order, so we shall see.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:46:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Just like every site sponsor that has a contest. That's the whole point of the contests is to drive people to join up and support the site.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:58:55 AM EDT
[#21]
I've got a Strikefire on one of my AK's and its a good optic for the money. I'd go with an Aimpoint CompC3 (even a used one) if I could, but if that's not an option financially, the Vortex is definitely a good alternative. I've heard pretty good things about the SPARC too, just don't have any personal experience with one.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:23:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The Strike Fire got the NTOA (National Tactical Officers Association) seal of approval, which is pretty good in my book. If was really a POS, they would not have listed it. I have one on order, so we shall see.

NTOA will endorse anything, their stamp means nothing. They endorse CProducts mags, and the Sixell Never Quit Grip, for example. As for the Vortex, I had two SPARCs. I broke two SPARCs, without severe abuse. They are not a robust piece.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:57:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Not a reason not to buy one, just an observation: The on/off button should be recessed, to avoid turn it on when laying th weapon on the left side.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:13:37 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NTOA will endorse anything, their stamp means nothing. They endorse CProducts mags, and the Sixell Never Quit Grip, for example. As for the Vortex, I had two SPARCs. I broke two SPARCs, without severe abuse. They are not a robust piece.

I find that hard to swallow, but the CProducts Mags? They are good to go, I have heard nothing but good things. Naw I don't believe it.

I just have to call Bull Shit on your entire reply.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#25]
BS on what part?

The fact that I broke two SPARCS? Or the part that NTOA endorses shit?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:53:12 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

BS on what part?

Both actually. What Shit products are the NTOA endorsing? And how did you break the SPARC(S)?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:55:45 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

BS on what part?

Both actually. How did the SPARC(S) break and did you get a replacement, with the no question asked warranty? What Shit Products is the NTOA endorsing?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:00:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
BS on what part?

Were you trying? I call bs. Plus, you can break ANY sight. Vortex however, will send you a fresh one.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:03:29 PM EDT
[#29]
First of all, one must realize NTOA does not endorse items, they have a system that allows its members to receive, test, and review items. These items receive a "NTOA Memeber tested and Approved" label. This stamp gets applied to all kinds of shit, like the CP mags, and the SIXELL Never Quit Grip I mentioned earlier. Yes, I am a member of NTOA.

As for the SPARC, the first one I destroyed going over a six foot slick wall, in tac gear, during training. When I went to complete a string of fire immediately after the obstacle, the sight was not on. After going to my irons and firing the string, I had a chance to examine the sight. The entire control module was loose from the sight, attached only by a wire.

The second sight was crap from the box. It was a replacement for the first, and when I attempted to sight it in, there was absolutely no elevation adjustment. The knob would turn, but the dot did not respond in any way. I guess it would be more accurate to say I destroyed one, the other was broke when I got it. Admittedly, two is a small sample, but I wont travel that road again. I still like their magnified optics, i just dont think their RDS are ready for prime time yet. Their is a reason quality RDS are not cheap.

Vortex does have an awesome, no questions asked, warranty. Some of us, however, cannot rely on the guarantee that if it breaks, it will be replaced. It has to work.

Call it BS, or what you will, I am simply relating personal experience.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:57:00 PM EDT
[#30]
I use mine for duty, and it has been thrown/bounced around and scuffed up and it is still holding zero, my partner was using a 512 EoTech but not anymore, he banged that one up and it will not hold zero, and has "donut bounce".

Did you take a hammer to it? I am lucky than, mine still works good. The only issue I had was with the bikini covers tearing and that is it.

When I sighted mine in , I just moved it one click, but for the record it did not "visibly move", I now it did by co-witnessing it through my BUIS and looking at the FSP.

The C-P mags are pretty decent, the grip no idea on that.

Than again I am not jumping a six foot wall with a loaded rifle, tacked out, that is what my partner is for, he holds the rifle while I go over the barricade.

For the warranty I cannot complain, it will save me a a lot of money in the future.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:59:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
BS on what part?

I, for one, would LOVE to hear what is wrong with Cproducts mags.

All reports I've ever seen have been VERY positive. I know they're not the "mag of the week", but their reputation is pretty solid.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:48:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Mr. SRT is just a TROLL
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#33]
I believe you'll do fine with a Vortex Strikefire or something that doesn't get a lot of abuse.  I've been keeping my AR pistol as my "trunk" gun and did notice recently the ring holding the optic, my Aimpoint comp M2, was coming loose from the pic-rail.  This is simply riding around in a car...

I actually did put my strikefire in a lo-mount on my CX4––-it has yet to work loose during recoil and i'm slamming water bottles at 50yd with it.  Fun.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:02:12 PM EDT
[#34]
The milspec awesomeness of the Aimpoint will overcome that loose ring should the need arise.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top