Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2009 4:45:32 PM EDT
Below is a picture of my rifle.  Will be using this rifle at maximum ranges of 200 yards, mostly in fast paced CQB-style competitions.  I really like the 2MOA dot on the M4 for the 100+ yard shots and am leaning toward that option.

This might be a dumb question...  I know they both have "unlimited field of view", but isn't it easier to get on target quickly with the M4 versus the Micro because it has a larger viewing area?  I had a Micro a year ago and I recall having to "find the dot" more than once.  Maybe I had it mounted too close or something?

Link Posted: 10/18/2009 4:56:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Sweet rifle,  I vote for a Aimpoint CompM4s.  The weight is not even a factor, and the 2moa really is the way to go.  Go with the M4s and you'll never look back!

Link Posted: 10/18/2009 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Great picture.  I've been looking for pics of the M4S mounted on an AR with no A2 front sight all day.  I'm 90% sure that's what I am going with.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 5:12:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Make sure you get it from LaRue though!    It will come with the aimpoint caps and the usual goodies.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 5:25:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Either would work well.  I'd replace the stock too while you're at it.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 5:31:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I've had every stock under the sun on this rifle at one time or another.  For my purposes, a fixed A1 stock works best.  It doesn't rip out facial hair (which ALL collapsibles have done to me) and I can just pick it up and use it without messing with it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 5:59:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I vote M4s as well. The T-1 is nice for applications, but since your rifle is already light, the 10 ounces really wont hurt too bad. Its a little quicker on target, so im competition it might make all the difference.

Here is mine, not quite as light, but I run without the 3x a lot

http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss192/goteron/2c0929b6.jpg
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 6:14:41 PM EDT
[#7]
The t1 has a 3.2 moa dot and weighs almost 1/2 lb less in a DD mount. Battery life and the use of AAs is about the only advantage I see to the m4.
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 4:57:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This might be a dumb question...  I know they both have "unlimited field of view", but isn't it easier to get on target quickly with the M4 versus the Micro because it has a larger viewing area?

IMO, no. I prefer the T1.
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 4:59:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Ended up running across a 2MOA ML3 in the classifieds, so I am going to roll with that.
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 5:45:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ended up running across a 2MOA ML3 in the classifieds, so I am going to roll with that.

That will work as well as any.  The ML3 2MOA was my first Aimpoint, and it's still going strong.
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 9:35:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I just got a m4s and like it but if youve already found something im sure it will work to.
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 1:20:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Let's see some pics of her when she's finished!
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 11:29:51 AM EDT
[#13]
I had both, get the T1.
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 2:06:02 PM EDT
[#14]
FWIW, in that giant thread about what pparts break in carbine courses, Pat Rogers said that the T1 has all upsides & no down  sides.  He said the FOV is a non issue & the weight savings is great.
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 2:25:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#16]
M4S for me.  Something about this sight lets me shoot even faster than the previous Aimpoints.
Here is the rarely seen Aimpoint forward cantilver spacer as well.

Link Posted: 10/21/2009 11:56:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
M4S for me.  Something about this sight lets me shoot even faster than the previous Aimpoints.
Here is the rarely seen Aimpoint forward cantilver spacer as well.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/e/d/edwin907/_A216549.jpg

http://bellsouthpwp.net/e/d/edwin907/_A216552.jpg

Nice rig!!
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 11:59:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Make sure you get it from LaRue though!    It will come with the aimpoint caps and the usual goodies.

you mean flip caps or the rubber bikini?
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 12:31:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got the flip caps with the order from LaRue Tactical with their mount, the stock M4S I got comes with the Aimpoint Mount & Verticle Spacer, ARD and bikini. I had to order the cantilever spacer separately.
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 3:47:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got the flip caps with the order from LaRue Tactical with their mount, the stock M4S I got comes with the Aimpoint Mount & Verticle Spacer, ARD and bikini. I had to order the cantilever spacer separately.

im sorry, i worded my question wrong.
so if i order the m4s with the larue mount they also throw in flip covers?
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 4:10:42 PM EDT
[#21]
T1 hands down.  The big ass Aimpoints are heavy dinosaurs.
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 4:34:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, they come with the flip covers.  Not the bikini style rubber covers.

Link Posted: 10/22/2009 4:24:19 AM EDT
[#23]
I have the ML3, the M4S, and the T1.  The T1 would be my choice for range or competition.  But, if I had to choose just one for minimally supported combat or just “roughing it” in general.  I would opt for the M4S.  It does what the others will do and it’s built like a tank.  For me, it’s additional weight is a small price to pay for its durability.  Having said that, I think the T1 or M3 might make for better balance on your 12" SBR.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 5:30:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thank you.
last question, is the dot too small???

Link Posted: 10/22/2009 5:34:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 6:38:27 AM EDT
[#26]
M4S for a "REAL" werapon.

LOL, just kidding, I have a T-1 as well, and actually, on the Krink, it outperforms the bigger models.

50 yard rapid fire prone with Iraqi 7.62X39 surplus

But on a SBR AR, I shoot faster/more accurate/more comfortable with the M2/3/4.  Not a big difference.
Now I'm an old guy with older eyes, so I can use all the help I can get.
I also use a 3X/flip mount as well as a PVS-14.
BAC with the Aimpoint and 3X works wonderfully for me as well, probably since I'm a ACOG/OEG guy all the way back to pre-flattop days.

Link Posted: 10/22/2009 3:14:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Beautiful rifles Edwin.  Must be nice to live in a free state.  Remember, 50 is the new 30, so stay healthy and enjoy those toys.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 3:33:30 PM EDT
[#28]
A SBR is to be used for CQB right? the bigger T1 dot is better for CQB and it is lighter. i vote T1 hands down. for a larger rifle id say M4s. but the main thing to find the dot easy in the FOV is to choose a mount that works with your head and stock. mabey get the KAC mount that has adjustable height to find what works for you. it should feel natural when you put the stock to your face that the dot is centered in the T1. good luck.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 4:10:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Get a Larue mount for that Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 6:56:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Actually no.  The 2 moa dot allows you to shoot past 100 yrds w/out the use of magnification.  The T-1's 3.2 moa dot or 4 moa dots may cover your target at that range. YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 7:10:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thank you.

Sorry, forgot to add your quote, I answered your question above.

Link Posted: 10/23/2009 3:54:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thank you.

Sorry, forgot to add your quote, I answered your question above.

no problem.
thx again for your time.
i was concerned that 2 moa dot would be too small.
im sold on the M4s.
thx again.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 9:33:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Good Choice!  Remember buy once cry once.
Link Posted: 10/24/2009 3:24:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Good Choice!  Remember buy once cry once.

Unless you've got TWO of them!

Actually, I don't cry over the price of Aimpoints, not even the M4S, I cry over the price of NV.
And ammo!
At least I'm not in CA!  What are you guys gonna do out there!

"You inna heap of trouble, boy"

I love that, 1098!

Link Posted: 10/24/2009 9:02:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Thank you sir.....I wish I can say that it was original, but if you can remember back in the mid 60's, Dodge commercials had a Buford T. Justice lookalike saying just that on TV.   Don't think it would go over well on traffic stops nowadays.  Just took the plunge and ordered an Aimpoint 3X magnifier and LaRue pivot mount...so I have to cry once again.  Have a good one Edwin.

ETA  I see a move to a free state in the future (NV).
Link Posted: 10/25/2009 5:18:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

ETA  I see a move to a free state in the future (NV).

Come on down to Georgia!

Link Posted: 10/25/2009 11:47:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Nuttin like Georgia Peaches!  But we got our "fruits" too!  LOL!
Link Posted: 10/25/2009 12:21:22 PM EDT
[#38]
The dot on the M4S is more precise than the T-1? Not talking about the MOA size, but having a T-1 now, and remembering the ML2 I used to have, it seems that the Aimpoints other than the T-1 have a more clearly defined dot- no matter the size.
Link Posted: 10/25/2009 1:02:11 PM EDT
[#39]
I just got a Micro T-1 and it will meet your requirements, that's for sure.  It weighs nothing and with a LaRue mount it is rock solid.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Thanks for making me second guess my stock.  Ended up buying a SOPMOD today.  Haven't tried that one yet.  I figure if I have an SBR, might as well go short.

Also ended up getting a CompM4S.  Will be moving the ML3 to my AK or sell it.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top