Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2009 5:41:29 PM EDT
I have an opportunity to buy a TA31F-G at a great price and I've always wanted an ACOG. However, I've been reading various forums and the number one complaint for this model is the lack of eye relief.

Unfortunately, I live in San Francisco and I have never seen an ACOG in real life at any local stores, nor have I ever run across someone at a range who had one mounted. So, I wanted to post here to get people's thoughts on how big of an issue this is. Are people regularly injuring themselves as a result of this, or is it just a matter of personal preference? Or something in-between?

Any insight appreciated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:49:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Nose to the charging handle   .... never had a problem

Eye near the Acog ... haven't had a problem

(haven't put an Acog on my FAL though, bit more  recoil  )
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:49:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have an opportunity to buy a TA31F-G at a great price and I've always wanted an ACOG. However, I've been reading various forums and the number one complaint for this model is the lack of eye relief.

Unfortunately, I live in San Francisco and I have never seen an ACOG in real life at any local stores, nor have I ever run across someone at a range who had one mounted. So, I wanted to post here to get people's thoughts on how big of an issue this is. Are people regularly injuring themselves as a result of this, or is it just a matter of personal preference? Or something in-between?

Any insight appreciated. Thanks!

The ACOG junkies will tell you to go with a TA11. It is only 3.5x magnification and has more eye relief than the TA31. 2.39 in of eye relief vs. 1.5 in.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:57:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Eye relief is horrible, I've had an TA01, TA01NSN, and a TA31F, got rid of all of them cause I just couldn't get used to that 1.5" eye relief.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:50:42 PM EDT
[#4]
If you don't shoot ntch and you want a flip down rear buis behind it it's going to be difficult.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:02:27 PM EDT
[#5]
TA11 or 33 and you won't have any complaints.  All the 4x models, you have to be very close.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:26:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I run a TA31H on my 6.8 and it doesn't bother me because I shoot Nose to CH.  I run a Magpul MBUS under mine with no problems.  I could understand how people would like more eye relief though.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:18:16 PM EDT
[#7]
BAC works much better for me with the ER of an 11 versus a 31.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:20:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Comparatively....with regards to eye socket molestation....

TA31:

Eye Relief = 1.5"
Exit Pupil = 8mm

TA11:

Eye Relief = 2.4"
Exit Pupil = 10mm

TA33:

Eye Relief = 1.9"
Exit Pupil = 10mm
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:40:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I run a TA31H on my 6.8 and it doesn't bother me because I shoot Nose to CH.  I run a Magpul MBUS under mine with no problems.  I could understand how people would like more eye relief though.

That about sums it up.

I've ben running a TA31F for months and never had a problem, but I could definitely understand the point.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:51:21 AM EDT
[#10]
If you have an A2 stock, it may be a problem with a 4x32 ACOG, but then you could always remove the BUIS and mount the ACOG all the way back, or you can get a LaRue RCO mount.

If you have a collapsible stock, it makes all the difference.  All the way collapsed, it's about perfect for me (with SOPMOD stocks).  These days I shoot with the stock completely collapsed whether I have a 4x32 ACOG, Aimpoint or EOTech on it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:17:05 AM EDT
[#11]
It wount smack you in the eye but if you wear shooting glasses it will hit the glasses every few rounds.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top