Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2009 10:23:38 AM EDT
I did a search for it and I can't find any weight comparisons. Is it the KAC micros, Magpul MBUS or something else?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:28:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Magpul would be thought of, off the bat...it is plastic, but its also a fair bit bulkier than other models...are you really concerned about an ounce or two of difference?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:52:41 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

are you really concerned about an ounce or two of difference?

Meh, an ounce or two winds-up being a pound or two.

This is kind of a weight critical build... To give you and example, the barrel is lathe threaded like the older Steyr AUG 20" because it removed about 5 ounces and quadrupled the surface area. (2 hours of lathe time and repark costs)

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:31:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm with ridge runner.  The Magpul MBUS I bet would be the lightest, and they are not made of plastic. They are made of the same polymer that the P-Mags are made out of. With that being the case, I think it would be safe to assume they are kidna durable. But if you are looking online for them. Watch out. There are two versions of them, one made of plastic and the other made of the polymer. So make sure you know what you are buying before you buy!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:41:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Magpul's set was the first thing I thought of

Quoted:
I'm with ridge runner.  The Magpul MBUS I bet would be the lightest, and they are not made of plastic. They are made of the same polymer that the P-Mags are made out of. With that being the case, I think it would be safe to assume they are kidna durable. But if you are looking online for them. Watch out. There are two versions of them, one made of plastic and the other made of the polymer. So make sure you know what you are buying before you buy!

do you mean:

plastic = knock-offs

polymer = gen magpul

or that magpul makes both?  an airsoft version?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:43:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Correct, Magpul makes both. The Magpul PTS is the one that is made of the plastic, not the polymer.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:00:26 PM EDT
[#6]
The easy answer there is to get them from a respectable dealer with roots here on site:  Rainier, Spikes, Brownells, Bravo Company (you can click those above, so no hotlinks).

But if weight is you pimary issue, MBUS should fit the bill.  They are also pretty inexpensive, so if you change your mind later, you will not be hitting yourself on the head.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:35:45 PM EDT
[#7]
AIM also has the real ones, just ordered one, $55 with penny shipping
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top