Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 3:31:53 PM EDT
Argh, I hate it when I do this. I bought a bushnell elite 4200 1-4x and, after taking it out on it's maiden voyage, I wish I had gotten something with more magnification. I've got it sitting on a LaRue Stealth and the rifle is just so much more capable than that scope. Sucks. Guess it's time to take a beating on a "used" optic and look for something else. Such is life....
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:33:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a Night Force next time.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:40:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

What great advice!

I'm saying I'm not happy with the magnification of a 1-4 on that rifle... the scope itself is really nice for what I paid. My budget won't let me get a nightforce anything and, as an aside, it wouldn't have made a difference who's name was on the side of the scope if it were followed by 1.25-4x anyways.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:47:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I hate when people do this.  Its a magnafication problem not a brand problem
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:25:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Tell me about it. Like I said, the scope itself is actually damn nice, especially for the price... I just wish I had gone with the 3-9 instead, which is actually the cheaper of the two. Or hell, maybe I should've just went all in and got a fixed 10 or something along those lines. This stick is my range duty only stick... not because of something being wrong with the gun, quite the opposite actually, I don't want this thing in an evidence locker, ever....

Those of ya'll running fixed, how's it worked out for ya?  Would you rather have a variable? eh...back to the drawing board.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:01:58 PM EDT
[#5]
You are seriously going to laugh at me, maybe even consider me retarded. But go to walmart, and buy the centerpoint 4-16x40mm. Its a new brand, and on top of walmart's awsome return policy, the company have a lifetime warranty. Its $69.99. So you wont break the bank, and you can keep the new scope you just got

It has as Adjustable objective, parallax focus from 5yds to infinity. My father bought one and it is a bit big, but the clarity of it is AMAZING. I seriously dont know how a scope or anything can get clearer then it.

I found a whole thread of people using this scope on rifles from .223 to 30-06 without a problem. Let me go hunt that down and get back to you. If i have time tomorrow i will try to take a picture to show how clear the optic really it.

Again laugh all you want but it is a really nice scope and seems to be well made. Just so you know it is a HUGE scope. But the magnification is great. You can easily see .223 bullet holes at 150 yards. My range doesnt go farther then that though.

INFO

Here is that thread

This is how large it is though.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:17:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey,  you always need more than one optic.   Keep the 1x4 and get something like a 2.5 x10 so you can vary your optic depending on the mission.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:30:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate when people do this.  Its a magnafication problem not a brand problem

This and that....

Bill
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:52:29 PM EDT
[#8]
If it makes you feel any better my M1A has an EO thingy on it. and I cant afford to replace it right now.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:54:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I too bought the Bushnell 4200 on Amazon.  It's great glass for the money, as you said but more importantly it fits the role of my rifle perfectly (make hits on targets easier).

Sounds like you just didnt fully think through your intended role for the rifle.  It seems like you were looking for more precision shooting than just "hit my target out to 400" type shooting (which is perfectly fine as its your rig and the stealth is more than capable).

10x is "Sniper" scope magnification, IMO.  I think you may regret getting a fixed 10x because it will really limit your close in shots.  As someone else mentioned, you may want to go with a 3-9 or even better, a 2.5-10.

I dont think you will take a huge hit on the Elite series.  They are good optics... I would say you could get at least 85% of what you paid for it if you posted it on the EE.

ETA:  The Weaver Extreme at Natchez is a great 2.5-10 for the money.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:00:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:15:04 PM EDT
[#11]

I cannot believe how much higher Leupold's price point has gotten.   That scope used to be a 550-650 dollar scope back 4-5 years ago.   I got a 4.5-14x duplex MKIV from Midway on clearance 3-4 years ago for 600 bucks before shipping, 6 months before that I got a MKIV 6.5-20x MilDot for 700.

Leupold pricing has gotten to the point that they are no longer a bargin/value for the money when I could spend a little bit more(when comparing illuminated reticle leupold) and simply get a NXS.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:22:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Just how far are you trying to shoot?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:22:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I too bought the Bushnell 4200 on Amazon. It's great glass for the money, as you said but more importantly it fits the role of my rifle perfectly (make hits on targets easier).

Sounds like you just didnt fully think through your intended role for the rifle. It seems like you were looking for more precision shooting than just "hit my target out to 400" type shooting (which is perfectly fine as its your rig and the stealth is more than capable).

10x is "Sniper" scope magnification, IMO. I think you may regret getting a fixed 10x because it will really limit your close in shots. As someone else mentioned, you may want to go with a 3-9 or even better, a 2.5-10.

I dont think you will take a huge hit on the Elite series. They are good optics... I would say you could get at least 85% of what you paid for it if you posted it on the EE.

ETA: The Weaver Extreme at Natchez is a great 2.5-10 for the money.

You read and understood my post.... for that, I thank you. Yeah, I got the 4200 off amazon too. The funny thing is that you can get a 4200 3-9, off of amazon, for like 20 bucks LESS than the 1.25-4... I just now saw that actually.

I was checking those weavers out. Be awsome if folks in TN could spend our money there, but the good folks at Natchez are apparently richer than shit and can shun our cash...
sucks, cause I'd like to have one.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:24:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I don't think trying to get groups at 500 yards, with this rifle, would out of the question.... I might be pipe dreaming though, as they say.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:38:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I cannot believe how much higher Leupold's price point has gotten.   That scope used to be a 550-650 dollar scope back 4-5 years ago.   I got a 4.5-14x duplex MKIV from Midway on clearance 3-4 years ago for 600 bucks before shipping, 6 months before that I got a MKIV 6.5-20x MilDot for 700.

Leupold pricing has gotten to the point that they are no longer a bargin/value for the money when I could spend a little bit more(when comparing illuminated reticle leupold) and simply get a NXS.
What did ammo etc etc cost 5yrs ago

I don't like the prices anymore than anyone else just saying.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:00:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I too bought the Bushnell 4200 on Amazon. It's great glass for the money, as you said but more importantly it fits the role of my rifle perfectly (make hits on targets easier).

Sounds like you just didnt fully think through your intended role for the rifle. It seems like you were looking for more precision shooting than just "hit my target out to 400" type shooting (which is perfectly fine as its your rig and the stealth is more than capable).

10x is "Sniper" scope magnification, IMO. I think you may regret getting a fixed 10x because it will really limit your close in shots. As someone else mentioned, you may want to go with a 3-9 or even better, a 2.5-10.

I dont think you will take a huge hit on the Elite series. They are good optics... I would say you could get at least 85% of what you paid for it if you posted it on the EE.

ETA: The Weaver Extreme at Natchez is a great 2.5-10 for the money.

You read and understood my post.... for that, I thank you. Yeah, I got the 4200 off amazon too. The funny thing is that you can get a 4200 3-9, off of amazon, for like 20 bucks LESS than the 1.25-4... I just now saw that actually.

I was checking those weavers out. Be awsome if folks in TN could spend our money there, but the good folks at Natchez are apparently richer than shit and can shun our cash... sucks, cause I'd like to have one.

Damn, I didnt realize that Natchez didnt sell to TN folks.  That sucks, to be sure as that scope seemingly suits your needs perfectly.

I dont understand why the 4200 is a 3-9 scope.  Isnt the whole point of the 4200 series a 4x erector (where as the 3200 has a 3x)?  Wouldnt that make it a 2.5-10 or 3-12?

I have been impressed with the Elite.  I think it has better glass than my Monarch.  If I couldnt go with the Weaver (like you), I would probably get another Elite for "bang for the buck".

Put the Bushnell up on the EE for $ 280-300 shipped and see if you get any takers.  Thats a good $160-180 less than they are going for on SWFA right now.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:04:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think trying to get groups at 500 yards, with this rifle, would out of the question.... I might be pipe dreaming though, as they say.

Then you'll want something more than 10x.

Lots of folks out there shooting irons at 500 though. I guess it just depends on how precise you need to get. I have 10x on my deer gun. Ok for deer, prairie dogs would be a stretch.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:13:50 PM EDT
[#18]
After thinking it over a bit, it really isn't the optic I need for this rifle. But I'm not going to get rid of it to help fund anything else, either. It's a really nice scope, I can use it somewhere. It'll sit where it is til I have the funds available for something a bit different.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:09:13 AM EDT
[#19]
I just bought one from Amazon.  I haven't mounted it yet, but it looks like it will be perfect for 3 gun.  The illumination is brighter than I expected based on some of the comments.  With a clear sky at noon it might not be visible, but even with a little overcast, it looks like the dot is going to show up very well.

If mine hadn't shown up today, I'd offer you $300 for it and we'd both be happy!  
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:10:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Don't feel bad, I think we all go through many different variations of everything from optics to stocks.  It is actually a huge appeal of the AR.  Just keep the 1-4x scope and use it on your next build.  If you are anything like the majority of us, 1 AR won't do it.  Life is good.

About a year ago, I got a 4x ACOG with the idea of a do-all rifle.  I stuck a mini-red dot on it for under 50yard shots.  I will say I absolutely loved the set up.  It was fast, accurate and very durable.  But, it didn't fit the majority of my needs, which was primarily target shooting.  So I traded the ACOG for a Luepold 3-9x.  I put it on my 18" SPR rifle and stuck an Aimpoint on my 10.5" SBR.  I am much happy with two different sighting systems rather than trying to make one fit.  The 4x was good for minute of man shots out to 4-500yards, but the ACOG isn't (and doesn't pretend to be) a target or long range scope.  The 3-9x scope is great on the range.  The Luepold MK4 3-9x MRT is an overkill for me, but I like it.  On my next 18" SPR build, I will go with a much cheaper scope.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 1:01:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
After thinking it over a bit, it really isn't the optic I need for this rifle. But I'm not going to get rid of it to help fund anything else, either. It's a really nice scope, I can use it somewhere. It'll sit where it is til I have the funds available for something a bit different.

IMO if you are not happy with 4X for 100 you wont be happy with only 9X either... for precision shooting at 500 yards, consider 12-18X max magnification range.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top