Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2009 8:39:24 AM EDT
Hello Everyone.  I'm new to this site, and this is my first post.  I'm looking to replace the red dot on my M4.  I currently have a Bushnell Holosight, but it has  had issues with durability and short battery life.  I am looking to repace it with something else.  My main requirements are: Durability, Battery life, and the compatibility of the device with co-witness sights.  I have about $300 to spend.  So far I've narrowed it down to the the Bushnell Trophy Red Dot, Thye Burris Tactical Xtrem, or the Vortex Strike Fire.  I will be using the sight on the M4 I use at work.  So it will probably spend a lot of time in the trunk.  What do you guys think?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:40:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Check this   http://usarmorment.com/millett-zoom-dot-30mm-reflex-sight-p-485.html?currency=USD

Also check ebay for used eotechs and aimpoints.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:41:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Since this is for possible serious social use I suggest you save up a few more bucks and get the Aimpoint CompC3 package from SWFA for $399: http://swfa.com/Aimpoint-CompC3-Red-Dot-Sights-C8.aspx .
Legendary Aimpoint ruggedness, 50,000 hr battery life. If you simply can't go w/the Comp C3 then I've heard good things about the Burris XTS-135. HTH...
Tomac
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:53:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Since this is for possible serious social use I suggest you save up a few more bucks and get the Aimpoint CompC3 package from SWFA for $399: http://swfa.com/Aimpoint-CompC3-Red-Dot-Sights-C8.aspx .
Legendary Aimpoint ruggedness, 50,000 hr battery life. If you simply can't go w/the Comp C3 then I've heard good things about the Burris XTS-135. HTH...
Tomac

That is a killer deal on the Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:33:13 AM EDT
[#4]
+1 Aimpoint for the win!

I also agree with the previous replies, save a little more and get the Aimpoint, buy once, cry once, they're the most reliable brand I had ever used since my first Aimpoint model 2000 in 1989.

If it's for just a hobby AR any brand will do but for self defense don't skimp and get the most proven and reliable brand like Aimpoint.

I also have an EOTech but when I store it for a while and I use it most of the time the batteries are dead, that never happed to my Aimpoints some of them I change batteries between one to three years.

The LaRue LT-150 QD mount would be the best mount for it because it always returns to zero every time, Aimpoint's QRP with optional spacer would work fine too but the LaRue mounts are better in my honest opinion.

Here's Aimpoint's video link:

Aimpoint - The Red Dot Solution - at DownRange.TV - video link

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:03:48 AM EDT
[#5]
AP or EO
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:54:02 AM EDT
[#6]
When you say you will use the rifle for work, I am assuming you are LE, if so, none of those choices are appropriate with the exception of maybe the Burris.

For $300 I would recommend a used Aimpoint or EOtech 512 or consider the Millett Zoom Dot. For either the AP or ZD, you're going to need a mount, Aimpoint QRP mounts can found on the EE for pretty cheap $50-$60, but this will take you over $300. EOtech and you won't need a mount, takes AA batteries (use lithiums), faster sight/more open FOV IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:58:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Own both aimpoint and Eotech

I like Aimpoint 8yrs with 0 problems

Thanks Chuck for the tip
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:23:04 PM EDT
[#8]
+1 on the Aimpoint
Spend a little extra and get an Aimpoint, you won't regret it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:43:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
For $300 I would recommend a used Aimpoint or EOtech 512.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:12:34 PM EDT
[#10]
OK, you guys have convinced me.  Now the question is:  Should I go with the Aimpoint, One of the Trigicon Reflex Sights (I like the idea of no battries) , the EOTech, or Something else?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#11]
The new Trijocon RX30 looks pretty damn cool, but for LE, I think EOtech is a good choice. You chances of engaging a target past 100 yards is minimal, and a more likely use would be serving high risk warrant, building searches, active shooter.. all stuff inside mostly. I think the EOtech performs well in those roles. Large FOV, quick to pick up, 65 MOA outer ring with a 1 MOA center dot for precision work. Go with the 512 and you can use easy to find lithium AA batteries.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top