Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2009 10:35:27 AM EDT
I used the search function and scanned about 8 pages, but couldn't find any info on this....

When attaching the front sight to the front of a railed handguard, I would expect POI to change slightly with handguard pressure.  Am I incorrect?

I'm planning on putting together a 16" carbine w/ iron sights, and I want as long of a sight radius as possible.  I figure I can either use a rifle length railed handguard and attach the front sight to the rail, or use a standard free-float rifle length tube and a dummy gas block w/ rail right behind the flash hider for my front sight. I don't want to use a standard A2 front sight.

So, does POI change w/ the sight on the railed handguard?

Thanks for any help, guys.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:43:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Come on, I know some of you guys actually shoot their rifles.....

How much can POI change at 400 yards if the front sight is mounted on a railed handguard?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:44:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I mounted mine on the front handguard because I have a carbine length barrel but a midlength rail, mainly for looks. I'm not sure on POI change, but in theory wouldn't a longer sight plane or whatever its called make it more accurate? Granted mine is there for back-up, I have shot with my irons out to about 100m.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top