Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2009 10:47:24 AM EDT
I currently have the comp m4 aimpoint and i was thinking of adding a magnifier.  Those of you with experience with these, your input would be greatly appreciated.  I did a search and did not find much.  How well do these work.  how far do they extend the range?  just overall what do you think of them.  thanks.  oh yea, thinking of getting one on a larue pivot  qd mount.  thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/14/2009 11:53:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I use an Aimpoint 3x magnifier om my M3 and I love it.  helps me get real tight groups off of my chrome lined barrels. I don't really use it for super accuracy, but I have no problem hitting human silhoute targets out at up to 300 yards. I think they're an excellent purchase because they make a red dot's effective range triple
Link Posted: 3/14/2009 12:00:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an Aimpoint 3X behind a micro T1. the T1 is on a Larue mount, the 3x in a Sampson flip mount. I also have one on my PD carbine at work, behind a Eotech. They add some flexability to the carbine, and the glass quality is pretty good. The eye relief is pretty short though, so an adjustable stock is nice. Only thing that I have noticed, when running it with the T1, the dot looks kinda oblong rather than round..probably more my eyes than the optic.Overall I like them.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3274/3112110136_949dd908e9.jpg
Link Posted: 3/14/2009 12:22:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I have an Aimpoint 3X behind a micro T1. the T1 is on a Larue mount, the 3x in a Sampson flip mount. I also have one on my PD carbine at work, behind a Eotech. They add some flexability to the carbine, and the glass quality is pretty good. The eye relief is pretty short though, so an adjustable stock is nice. Only thing that I have noticed, when running it with the T1, the dot looks kinda oblong rather than round..probably more my eyes than the optic.Overall I like them.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3274/3112110136_949dd908e9.jpg

Can you post a couple of more pics of that setup?  How does that mount for the 3X work?  Does it flip to the side?
Link Posted: 3/14/2009 12:30:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Heres a pic when I was using the Eotech..(rear sight is up) The mount is a leftie, since I shoot left handed.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3542/3354701876_8842ffe6ab.jpg
Link Posted: 3/14/2009 12:38:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I like how you have it swinging out to the left as I've switched out that way as well. By default, I've had my EOTech magnifier swinging to the right and it caught quite a bit of gas splatter on the glass.  Of course, when you're running and gunning, you don't really notice until you go to take a long-range shot, flip the magnifier back into position and notice that it's all fogged up.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2009 12:47:53 PM EDT
[#6]
A fine piece of equipment...
Link Posted: 3/14/2009 12:57:36 PM EDT
[#7]
How do you like that T1 compared to the EOTech?
Link Posted: 3/14/2009 2:17:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Thats a Ford vs. Chevy thing, probably been beaten to death..But for me, I prefer the Aimpoints. I have the T1 on the AR and a ML2 on a M1A. Both have been rock solid, no issues. I have a Eotech on my city issue gun, and we have been having issues with them. Reticles suddenly going away while firing, and fading in and out. Now I like the reticle on the Eo, but in my humble opion the Aimpoint is alittle more rugged, with better battery life. But of course lots of people love them and have no issues.
Link Posted: 3/14/2009 2:51:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Tag for thinking of getting one myself.
Link Posted: 3/14/2009 6:10:22 PM EDT
[#10]
thanks for all the answers.  I have thought of another question if you would please,  the compm4 is a 2 moa dot.  Correct me where i am wrong, but that equals approx. 2 inches at 100 yds, meaning that the dot would only cover 2 inches of target, does the magnifier increase the dot size or just the target?  ie.  at 100 yds with the magnifier will the dot still cover only 2 inches or will it be multiplied by 3 and then cover 6 inches?  thinking of like 300 yds would it cover 6 inches or 18 inches as that could make a huge difference.  sorry for the long and I am sure not grammatically correct sentence.  thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/14/2009 6:33:41 PM EDT
[#11]
At mag the dot is still 2 MOA as both the dot and target are magnified by the same amount.

I have a Comp M4S and 3x mag on a LaRue pivot mount and love it. The pivot mount is fast enough I actually use it during running stages when moving from close targets to ones at say 50+ yards.
Link Posted: 3/14/2009 7:12:33 PM EDT
[#12]
thanks, which side do you flip it over to?  does it not hang up?
Link Posted: 3/14/2009 7:54:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I flip it right as I'm a RHS. No hang ups. I used this setup in a tactical match a few weeks ago. Lots of prone, urban prone (under ridiculously low barricades), etc., with no problems.

I know a lot of people are religious about LaRue. I'm not. But good kit is good kit. There stuff just works.
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 1:40:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I currently have the comp m4 aimpoint and i was thinking of adding a magnifier.  Those of you with experience with these, your input would be greatly appreciated.  I did a search and did not find much.  How well do these work.  how far do they extend the range?  just overall what do you think of them.  thanks.  oh yea, thinking of getting one on a larue pivot  qd mount.  thanks in advance.

I like my magnifier a lot. It helps with long shots. I swap mine back and forth between my Colt 6920 with my Aimpoint Comp M4 and my RRA 9mm with a early Aimpoint comp ML.

Link Posted: 3/16/2009 1:55:15 PM EDT
[#15]
when flipped to the right does the sight get overspray from the action cycling?
Link Posted: 3/16/2009 2:56:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
when flipped to the right does the sight get overspray from the action cycling?

I have not had that problem.
Pat
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:45:06 PM EDT
[#17]
LOVE mine on my AR. I have it behind an EoTech 512. I have it mounted with a Aimpoint TwistMount AND their spacer so I can twist and take it off and it sits over a GG&G rear flip up BUIS which I can cowitness thru the EoTech thanks to the spacer. I was 'considering' putting another Aimpoint TwistMount base on my rails so if I ever had to twist and take it off, I could quick attach it to the rail versus throw it in a pocket.

I break it out for shots out at 75 yards or more and it makes a massive difference.

anyone ever seen a rubber curved form fitting eye-piece for the magnifier to block sunlight?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:24:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

anyone ever seen a rubber curved form fitting eye-piece for the magnifier to block sunlight?
 I saw exactly what you are talking about while browsing today but I can't seem to find it back.  I want to say it might have been for the 4x eotech magnifier though.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:52:44 PM EDT
[#19]
It's my favorite multi purpose set-up.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:53:05 PM EDT
[#20]
In case you wanted some pics, I just finished uploading some reticule pics of a T-1/AimPoint 3X combo and an EOTech 557/4X combo.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 4:42:43 AM EDT
[#21]
I love mine. I use it with the comp M3. Good for 3 to 4" groups at 200 yards.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 4:46:40 AM EDT
[#22]
I can shoot human sized targets out to 600 yards with this set-up:

Aimpoint 3x in a LaRue FTS Mount and a EoTech 512
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 8:39:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw exactly what you are talking about while browsing today but I can't seem to find it back.  I want to say it might have been for the 4x eotech magnifier though.

wow... please post a link if you find it.. I want to see if maybe i can make it work as I did not see such a device on their website
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top