Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2008 9:54:20 AM EDT
I have been looking at both of these micro red dots and other than the inlcusion of a manual on/off switch I do not see any real difference between the two?  

Anyone have a strong opinion one way or the other in regards to dot brightness, clarity, etc?  Has anyone used either of these sights with night vision?

Thanks,

Dawg
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:38:45 PM EDT
[#1]
No one? I was wondering the same
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:45:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I own both and they're both just OK....

I like having the on/off switch capability of the Burris.  BOTH of them are sub-optimal for shooting in low-light / no-light conditions.  With both of them, I REALLY wish I could determine the scope's brightness (like with an Aimpoint or EO-Tech) rather than dealing with the "auto-brightness" sensor.  

Hope this helps,
Mike

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:59:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually xmikex that is a *tremendous* help!  I did not expect anyone would own both.

If you have a weapon mounted light and 'flash' it on a target, do you suffer reticle washout?  

FYI, my anticipated application is to use an SAR mount to bolt it on top of a factory MSAR STG-556 optic and give me a scope with reticle for precision shooting and a red dot for speed shooting and a BUOS (back up optical sight).  

I just wanted to know if it would also allow me to have an option for optics with night vision, although based on some experimenting witha friends gear I have foudn that a laser is probably the best bet for that- goggles or head mounted monocles are just too difficult to geta  good sight pic on a red dot due to focus issues, at least on the low end stuff.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:41:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I just got a fastfire from the EE and have only played with it a little, I put it on a beretta cx4 carbine; but here is my two cents.

The dot is only 4moa I believe. That is fine except in dim light. The inability to adjust the brightness can make for a hard to find dot. It brightens up great in daylight, not overly bright. In near darkness it flickers, very annoying, may just be the unit I have.

Off topic but for anyone with the beretta it is nice on my storm.  Co-witnesses with the factory iron sights perfectly, they fold down when not needed. Glad I bought it, this gun is just a range toy for me and I couldn't justify the cost of an eotech on it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 3:55:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I know at least with older RDPs they are OFF in the dark unlike say a Dr Optc which is just dimmed to the correct level for shooting in the dark but wont go all the way to not even giving a usable dot.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top