Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2008 10:04:42 AM EDT
New to the whole BUIS option as my first AR already had them on. I am putting specs together for an upper.

There are so many manufacturers with different offerings. They all seem good and the styles vary. Can the community offer what to look for in an attachable BUIS? This assumes a flat top AR of course.

I am also contemplating replacing a stock FSB (or chopping it) on an upper and then installing an integrated rail. This presents to opportunity for a front iron sight. Of course I need a rear BUIS.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 10:10:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Get a set of Troy BUIS, end of thread.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 11:11:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Read the BUIS FAQ
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 11:36:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Durability is first, they're BUIS.
Size is next, depending on application.
Apetures follows - single, double; SPLP, 0-2?
Adjustability (windage, elevation? Bullet tip, manual?)
Other features (Wieight, which apeture comes up when flipped, how to activate).

The right answer is most commonly the TROY BUIS, and while they're expensive, they're usually worth the cost.  I also have Matech, ARMS, MI sights too, so look around, take it all in.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 11:55:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Unless you want a fixed BUIS, then get a Larue.

BSW
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 12:34:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BSW

These two quotes are all you need to know
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 1:16:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I use only Troy on my rifles. Just my preference.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 3:26:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BSW

These two quotes are all you need to know

I have Troy and YHM.  Get the Troy.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 4:11:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd like a set of Troys but I don't get $250 for a set of back up irons.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 4:17:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'd like a set of Troys but I don't get $250 for a set of back up irons.

Troy = Ferrari Enzo
YHM = Toyota Camry

You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 4:48:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I agree. I guess after I thought about it, I use ARMS 40's on the rear and thats $115-$120. It's when you see that price as a set, it sounds worse than it is.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 5:25:58 PM EDT
[#11]
what's wrong with filing down a carry handle?
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 5:27:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Get a Matech.. its what the military uses ... its rugged ... simple... and cheap. Cost me 35 on Ebay.. but that is a crazy good deal. normally cost around 60.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 5:36:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought a Matech. Looking at it I didn't even bother mounting it. Looks failure prone. Even though it's a buis, I want to know it's not going to open up when I don't want it to. The aperature is too small, especially for QCB. Looking at how it's made, it's just a matter of time before it pops open on it's own. But, to each their own.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 6:25:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Read the BUIS FAQ

Looked at the BUIS FAQ but it lays out the options, not necessarily what to look out for but it appears that Troy and Larue are the big winners.

Just out of curiosity - why'd you guys go with them? Rugged I imagine. Is one vendor's iron better than others?
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 6:41:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Read the BUIS FAQ

Looked at the BUIS FAQ but it lays out the options, not necessarily what to look out for but it appears that Troy and Larue are the big winners.

Just out of curiosity - why'd you guys go with them? Rugged I imagine. Is one vendor's iron better than others?

Both the Larue and the Troy sight are damn tough. The other thing I like about them is that they require a tool to adjust windage: I never want to wonder if my zero is off because a easy to adjust knob has snagged or some twat fingerfucked it.

If you're using a Aimpoint or EoThing I'd use the Larue, scoped rifles that the Larue won't clear get the Troy.

BSW
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 7:51:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Here is a thread with some thoughts on the two best options in regards to the rear BUIS - Troy and ARMS #40L  SP.

Link Posted: 9/7/2008 6:05:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 1:18:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Durability is first, they're BUIS.
Size is next, depending on application.
Apetures follows - single, double; SPLP, 0-2?
Adjustability (windage, elevation? Bullet tip, manual?)
Other features (Wieight, which apeture comes up when flipped, how to activate).

The right answer is most commonly the TROY BUIS, and while they're expensive, they're usually worth the cost.  I also have Matech, ARMS, MI sights too, so look around, take it all in.

For me the list went like this:

1. Durability.  These sights are back-up so they have to be ready to go at the WORST time.
2. Size.  As it is a back-up there is an assumption that a primary optic is going to be used and the BUIS has to fit with the primary.
3. Adjustability.  I want something that I can zero and forget, so no finger click adjustments.  Again, this is a back-up so it needs to be ready to go when it is called upon.
4. Deployment.  The sight should be easy to deploy if need be and I prefer the large aperture to come up first.
5. Aperture size.  As long as it's got a large and a relatively decent small aperture it's GTG in my opinion.  Odds are good the sight will never be used or will only be used until the primary can be replaced/repaired/whatever.

For me that left only the Troy. (setup: Fixed FSB, ACOG TA33R-8 in LaRue mount, Troy rear BUIS)

Fixed BUIS is a different story, but to me a fixed BUIS is not actually a back-up sight... it's a primary.
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 3:52:41 PM EDT
[#19]
For my new Armalite flattop I went with the overwhelming favorite rear BUIS, the Troy (in FDE, scored a deal off the EE, $120) and wouldn't you know it, it is one finely machined sight. I've learned some time ago to trust these guys - they know their stuff.
The Troy is - very user friendly deployment/adjustments, very useful apertures (Large/small), low profile, good lookin' and solid. Worth every penny.
It will ride behind an Aimpoint ML2 on A.R.M.S. M68 w/ 1/2 spacer.
A.R.M.S. is good stuff too. The #40L BUIS was a close second but not made in FDE (yet).
HTH
M4C
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Troy makes the absolute best folding front and rear BUIS.  Larue makes the best fixed BUIS.  Neither one of these sights has elevation adjustments so you have to use the front sight post for this.  The windage knob on both are flushed out so there is no chance of accidentally knocking them out of alignment.  Both options are rugged and simple which is what you want for back up sights.  Just remember to use loctite on the screws when installing the Troy sighs.  The Larue has a QD lever.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top