Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2007 5:40:23 PM EDT
I just wanted to know what you think about this.  Would the IOR 4x24 be a good cost wise substitute for an ACOG?  Anyone have any experience with the IOR?
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:36:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:52:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I assume you are talking about the M2.  Yes, excellent!  

Very clear optics, lit reticle, BDC for 62 gr (which should be close enough for 55 gr and 69 gr), nice target style turrets, range finding scale on the reticle.  

Only bad thing I can say is it is ugly.  Looks like something that fell off a steam locomotive.  I had seen them in catalogs for some time, but would not have bought one had I not seen one on a friend's AR.  If you can get over the ugly factor, it is a great scope.  Then again, the ACOG is not pretty either.

The funky little rubber bellows eyepiece is great.  Stick your eye on it and you are at the correct eye relief.  Very comfortable and it shields outside light.

Did I mention it is very rugged?

The thing I really liked about it, we stepped out back with his rifle at night, and I turned the reticle up low.  I was surprised how clearly I could see in those dark conditions.  Very clear.  I ordered one immediately.

Though originally designed for the Dragounov, I think it is very well suited to the AR-15.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:54:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I have both and the IOR has some real strong points that when combined with the lower price, I say get it. The ACOG is clearer glass and is most likely going to take more abuse without loosing zero. But I prefer the retical and the illumination on the IOR. Plus the IOR can be mounted much lower, which is real nice for non AR's.

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:29:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:28:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I have both.  Bought the IOR first because I just couldn't justify the cost of an ACOG.  The scope was ok, but the short eye relief and rubber eye piece bugged me.  Made an impulse buy on a ACOG some time later.  While the 4x ACOG eye relief is still too short, everything else about the optic is much better.  Target acquisition is so much faster and the BDC scale being right there is quite nice.  The IOR is currently sitting in a box until I get around to putting a flattop upper on my 20".

As long as I continue to repress the memory of how much I paid for the optic, I really do like my ACOG, it really is a great piece of glass.  Honestly though, the extras you get with the ACOG over the IOR probably don't measure up to the cost difference.  Simply put, the IOR is a better bang for the buck.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:19:45 AM EDT
[#6]

What about somehing like this.  I would say this piece is alittle better comarison between the Acog and IOR.  They seem to be right up there as far as features for the most part, and The IOR has the m1913 rails for a small red dot...  Looks like this IOR is a good buy to me.  Just my .02

The new 3x25 compact tactical scope is IOR's first model designed especially for AR15/M16-series weapons. Its integral flat-top base offers out-of-the-box compatibility with M16A3s and M4 carbines, and it attaches directly to any mil-std. 1913 Picatinny rail for use on a variety of other weapon systems as well. The 3x25 tactical scope is not caliber-specific; It's 1/4 min. adjustment system provides precise windage and elevetion corrections on small arms in most sizes and calibers.
The 3x25 tactical scope features a fully-illuminated reticle for day/night use as well as a uniqe, 3-position, detachable Picatinny collar for mounting lights, lasers and other accessories. Other features include:

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top