Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2006 8:04:59 PM EDT
I'm in the market for an ACOG, and I can't decide which one.

I have narrowed it down to the TA31A (triangle) and the TA31F (Chevron).

What are the pros and cons of the various reticles?
Is the glass just as good in both models?
Which one do you prefer and why?

I have only had the chance to look through the ACOG reticles once, long time ago.  IIRC, I preferred the TA31A (Triangle) as it seemed "less busy" than the TA31F.

It will sit proudly on an LMT Defender MRP CQB.  Main purpose is plinking and home defense.  Typical ranges from 25 - 200+ yds.
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 5:31:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I find not much difference between the two using BAC. the chevron looks like a triangle untill i close one eye but some feel the triangle is a little better for close range.

The ta31f is much better for mid range work, 200-300 meters, which is why the ta31a is not that popular.

Everything exept the reticle is the same and the f model is made for a flat top where as the A model reticle is for a carry handle all though it is still usable on the other.

I have the F as most here do as well.
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 5:44:49 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Main purpose is plinking and home defense.  Typical ranges from 25 - 200+ yds.

Sounds like you'd be better served with a TA31A.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 6:39:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I am actually in the same boat, and I put a ta31f on layaway at my local shop. I am still thinking about switching to the ta31a though. It seems like the triangle is faster (to me atleast) but I was told that when shooting long distances it may obscure part of the target...whereas the chevron would allow the shooter to see more of the target at longer ranges. I only shoot 200 yards max...

Also, the ta31f comes with the flattop mount, but I was thinking about picking up a qd larue mount for it anyway...thus lowering the base cost of the scope by around 100 dollars (without the trijicon mount)

For some reason, the ta31f seems to be way more popular than the ta31a! Thats what scares me! When you are dropping that kind of dough (1000 dollars or so) you want to make a good decision.

Anymore input on this would be appreciated!
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 6:55:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Main purpose is plinking and home defense.  Typical ranges from 25 - 200+ yds.

Sounds like you'd be better served with a TA31A.

I agree.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 11:06:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I am also leaning to the TA31A for a Bushmaster M4 A-3 style rifle to mount on the carry handle.

I like the triangle over the chevron in the pics, but if shooters have real life experience to share, I'd like to hear it.

I did look through one of the reflex sites (with triangle) on a rifle, and it was very nice. No mag, but the triangle picked up the target fast for my eyes. At 100 yds, it was like it was magnified.

The optic would be for shooting steel and paper at ranges varying from 100 to 500 yds.

Thanks for any tips, advice or experience with these optics.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 12:28:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I always thought I would like the triangle better than the chevron.  I have a Triangle in my Reflex sight, but I got the TA11F with the Chevron, and I prefer the Chevron.  I don't find it any less fast or visible at short to intermediate ranges, but find it more precise and less target obscuring at 100-200 yds than the triangle.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 3:33:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a TA31F and specifically chose the chevron over the triangle because of the 200-300m shots.  If it is properly zeroed, the tip of the chevron (or triangle) is your aiming point at 100m.  The inside of the chevron tip is 200m.  The bottom flat across the chevron is the same elevation as the top of the vertical reticle post, which is 300m.  The next hashmark down is marked 4 for 400m.

So, while the triangle is good for CQB, it will obscure your target at any range between 100 and 300m.  Yes, your bullet will impact within that triangle, but I may want more accuracy than that.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 3:52:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I agree. Why get an ACOG if you dont plan on using the BDC with efficency? 100m-300m is where most shooters shoot anyway.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 6:39:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info. That is helpful and may change my mind on reticle.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 8:09:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Me too, thanks.  

Now strongly considering the 31F to go on my 16" MRP.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top