Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/9/2006 1:19:59 PM EDT
VERY Exciting Stuff.

More pics on page 2

The LaRue Team has done it again. In response to the Warfighter needs, they've designed a QD mount for the popular line of micro red-dots (Pride Fowler, J-Point, Dr.Optics). Mark sent me this photo, to see if I could work my "magic" on it...more on their "photography" later.

LaRue's mount combines the excellent Locking QD lever with a custom base and full protective hood (like a mini EOTech). So far, I've only seen the photos, Mark is getting me a real one this week for better pics. Awesome. Mark told me that they planned to sell the mount combined with the Pride Fowler Red Dot, I have one of these sites...and love it. The PF system has an on/off switch and loads batteries from the top. Once you zero the site, you can take it off and put it in your pocket! Because of the LT mount, once you put it back on...it's dead-zeroed (like all their mounts). The mount will be in three heights...one for M4 ...second is .50" lower than 1st for RASII-CAS/V...third is set for HK416 height. I can't wait to try it out!!!

As for their photography...I tactfully let Mark know that photography isn't one of their strong points and asked to join the LT Team and be their "staff photographer" (since I seem to have most of their items in my personal inventory). Mark agreed (booYah!). So, I'll be helping Mark with their new website, Ads, and other marketing materials as they grow. Also expect new product updates and great photos to back them up.

The LT Team is running 24/7, producing all kinds of great innovations...hope I can keep up!

Mark Fingar (mfingar)
Link Posted: 7/9/2006 1:31:48 PM EDT
[#1]
VERY hawt.

What kind of rail is on that upper?
Link Posted: 7/9/2006 1:35:17 PM EDT
[#2]
yah what's that rail?
Link Posted: 7/9/2006 1:41:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Good question. I'm not sure. The Red Dot mount shown in the photo is a prototype of the lower HK416 version.
Link Posted: 7/9/2006 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#4]
i really like that mount, it's pretty simple and compact, i like it alot.

Link Posted: 7/9/2006 1:56:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow. Gotta love those guys.
Link Posted: 7/9/2006 2:56:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Very interesting.  This setup might be good for a lightweight carbine...
Link Posted: 7/9/2006 3:24:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/9/2006 3:30:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/9/2006 3:37:18 PM EDT
[#9]
this is absolutely amazing!!!!

super sweet!!!!
Link Posted: 7/9/2006 3:52:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
He cheated and edited the pic...

the rear of the rail looked like a URX -- but the dovetail rail I had not seen (gone now since he croped the pic) I handled the 416 before but never noticed the rail interface

Yep, the dovetail is something I have never seen before.  

Anyone know if that is a feature of the HK 416?

I have never seen a pic of one from the top.

ETA:  sToopid spellun...!
Link Posted: 7/9/2006 4:15:18 PM EDT
[#11]
This is a beautiful idea!

Great big tag.
Link Posted: 7/9/2006 6:36:21 PM EDT
[#12]
im *thinking* this would be great for a shotgun? Obviously with a rail attachment, a great alternative to adding another pound to the gun with an aimpoint/eotech + mount...
Link Posted: 7/9/2006 7:36:28 PM EDT
[#13]
nice
Link Posted: 7/10/2006 4:19:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Pretty nice.  That is one compact little package, and the protective hood is a great idea.
Link Posted: 7/10/2006 4:40:33 AM EDT
[#15]
The SOCAUTO LED is a great optic and this mount looks great! I am thinking that this  mount should also work with the JPoint.
Link Posted: 7/10/2006 5:16:08 AM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 7/10/2006 5:31:52 AM EDT
[#17]
It'll will work with the J-Point.
Link Posted: 7/10/2006 5:37:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/10/2006 6:22:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Woke up this am...logged on...and while waiting for the site to load (dial up in the sticks)

Was thinking about LRT and what new thing they'd come up with and BAM...found this post..

Called LaRue and the boss answers the phone...we chatted about this new product...

All I can say is once again..."this is awesome"....and I'm now on the 'civie list'....:)

thanks much for this post...and pics....
Link Posted: 7/10/2006 7:32:54 AM EDT
[#20]
I’ve had my Dr Sight mounted on my ACOG for a while and have felt that it might be more useful to me mounted elsewhere, but just couldn’t bring myself to buy the ARMS mount setup. My prayers have been answered.
Link Posted: 7/13/2006 2:25:58 PM EDT
[#21]
UPDATE:

Mark LaRue just sent me the latest CAD Model of the "M4 Version".  It'll sit 5/8" higher than the one pictured above, and have an optional BUIS "Blade" and will co-exist with standard front sights.

No need for additional BUIS...interesting. I like it. The sight-ring will come up just over the optic's housing, in perfect position.

The RASII-CAS/V version should look just like this, but be .50" lower.

I'll be getting a real one (low-version) tomorrow, for pics and range time. I'll post pics tomorrow night, once I get out of my pesky day job .

Thanks again Mark, Keep up the great work!

- mfingar

Link Posted: 7/13/2006 3:27:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Now give that sight blade the ability to fold up/down and you will truly have the ultimate back up/lightweight sight!

A full peep would also be nice. That one reminds me too much of the standard ARMS 40.
Link Posted: 7/13/2006 3:36:34 PM EDT
[#23]
that is AWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESOME
Link Posted: 7/13/2006 5:08:05 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Now give that sight blade the ability to fold up/down and you will truly have the ultimate back up/lightweight sight!

A full peep would also be nice. That one reminds me too much of the standard ARMS 40.

Agreed, a fold-down sight would be nice, but probably too complex (this is one, small sucker with a 7/8" wide window). The rear sight can be taken off the mount easily enough if needed, and conventional BUIS dropped on.

I like the broken-peep. Once again, this is like a micro EOTech. A full circle would just obscure the FOV more. Personally, I might have to try it both ways, to see what works best for me.

By the way, keep the comments coming, it'll make for a better final version.
Link Posted: 7/13/2006 5:54:05 PM EDT
[#25]
The blue portion in the CAD drawings, is that to simulate the sight or is that a protective hood for the sight?
Link Posted: 7/13/2006 5:54:27 PM EDT
[#26]
OK,

These guys work fast! (and they're listening)

Here's the revised sight.

The'll use a flat spring that'll rotate the peep out of the way, just like the A-2 sight.

Pretty darn smart.

How's that?
Link Posted: 7/13/2006 5:55:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
The blue portion in the CAD drawings, is that to simulate the sight or is that a protective hood for the sight?

The "blue" represents the hood. The optics will drop inside...just like the EOTech.
Link Posted: 7/13/2006 5:58:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The "blue" represents the hood. The optics will drop inside...just like the EOTech.

Cool, that's what I was thinking.  I'm really liking this idea, I think that this would go great on my 10.5" MRP.
Link Posted: 7/13/2006 6:14:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/13/2006 6:36:47 PM EDT
[#30]
that looks like a really nice mount. i've been using a docter optic on top of my MRP for the past two years and really like it as it's so unobtrusive.
since no dedicated flattop mount was available for mounting it on the M4 at that time, i had to stack a docter weaver mount on top of another brand's QD mount, so that the proper height could be achieved for looking through the window with the irons. the height from the top of the flattop to the bottom of my docter is .75", but .8 to .9 would be better, so i'm hoping the larue mount is about that height. i'm glad to see the protecting hood.

while i don't have a pride-fowler sight, given the choice, i'd pick it over a docter. when john showed it to me last year at the SAR show, it looked robustly built with a nice, clear window. besides being able to change the battery without removing the sight from the mount, i really like the ability to turn the dot off, and also to full brightness. the docter only has auto brightness. the docter dot can sometimes be too dim when looking out from a dark room into sunlight, and the P-F eliminates that problem. having an off switch also means you don't need the plastic cover that the docter uses to turn it 'off' - actually very low power. the cover is easily misplaced or lost, or cracked when stepped on (ask me how i know).

the larue mount with pride-fowler sight is gonna be the combo to get, IMHO. great job.

Link Posted: 7/13/2006 7:48:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Agreed, the protective hood is the perfect touch of armor needed for these little optics.

I was just informed LT also designed a Hooded Pride-Fowler mount for the ACOG. (images to come)

Do these guys ever sleep?  
Link Posted: 7/13/2006 8:28:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Dayum.
Link Posted: 7/13/2006 8:41:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Cool, but I still don't understand. This for using the micro-dot as a primary sight, or using it in lieu of the back ironsight?
Link Posted: 7/13/2006 9:15:39 PM EDT
[#34]
primary, for me.
Link Posted: 7/13/2006 9:45:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Tagged!
Link Posted: 7/13/2006 10:22:08 PM EDT
[#36]
tagaro
Link Posted: 7/14/2006 12:58:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Who needs back-up irons when you can have back-up optics... with back up irons!
Link Posted: 7/14/2006 5:14:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Bravo!

You guys are truly innovative.

Link Posted: 7/14/2006 6:01:59 AM EDT
[#39]
I would love to have the protective hood on the Larue Dr mount ring half.

With it extended on the side it's much more prone to damage.

Sorry to stray OT a bit, I do love the new mount.

Link Posted: 7/14/2006 6:26:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Nice mount!

The folding peep is much better, but it looks like it might be little difficult to flip up, especially w/gloves.
Link Posted: 7/14/2006 9:16:30 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
im *thinking* this would be great for a shotgun? Obviously with a rail attachment, a great alternative to adding another pound to the gun with an aimpoint/eotech + mount...

I think you are exactly right, I use this set up for three gun, works great and weighs almost nothnig...this is a JPoint with the Protective Wings and Rail Mount on a Moss 590.

I really, really like the EOTech type protective cover on this mount, man, every day I see something new and exciting the I Gotta Have!!!  Guess its off to Idaho to pick up some more Power Ball tickets!!!

Any idea when these might be available to the general public, I imagine once this hits production, it will be offered to Uncle Sam first?
Link Posted: 7/14/2006 10:10:01 AM EDT
[#42]
I hope he intends to keep the low version for those of us who want to use in on weapons other than the AR. It would be perfect for so many other weapons like shotguns, PS90, MP5 clones, etc.
Link Posted: 7/14/2006 10:44:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Will Pride/Fowler and LaRue Tactical dealers be offering these mounts or do we have to buy them direct?
Link Posted: 7/14/2006 11:07:34 AM EDT
[#44]
How practical is a killflash on these smaller sights?  

Ideally there would be a rectangular KF, but maybe an optional metal plate that can be dropped in through the hood, or bolted to the front, with a threaded round opening to accept a widely available standard sized KF with similar external dimensions as the metal hood to maintain the largest field of view possible.  Round the aluminum hood?    

Do they make a rectangular KF for the Eotechs?

Just some ideas that came to mind while looking at the new setup.
Link Posted: 7/14/2006 11:48:50 AM EDT
[#45]
There is no ARD for the JPoint, DR or SOCAUTO and there really isn't a need for one in my opinion. There also isn't one for the EOTech (and the Military has been using them for years).
Link Posted: 7/14/2006 12:13:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/15/2006 9:02:52 AM EDT
[#47]
The Brown Truck just visited me this morning. (Thanks LT Guys!)

Very impressive!, my Pride Fowler dropped right in place, and was weapon-ready in about 2 minutes time.

Being the "short" mount, I put it up on a 5/8 riser to simulate the M-4 version height & took some quick photos.

Next to the EOTech...which one would fit in your pocket?

One small system

Next to LT BUIS, the sight allowed for use with irons...even though they're working on a integrated flip up, I wanted to see how well it worked. It's killer!.

Also,
Here's the latest iteration of the Flip-Up Rear sight.

A+ work guys! This thing is a piece of art!

- Mark

Link Posted: 7/15/2006 9:08:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Nice pics.
Link Posted: 7/15/2006 9:11:09 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Nice pics.

I'll take some more tonight, showing the full rifle. However, it's so small, it won't show up so well.
Link Posted: 7/15/2006 9:14:12 AM EDT
[#50]
I will stick with just my OLD BUIS! Old Skool KISS

But for the New School Guys its cool
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top