Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/17/2006 8:51:08 PM EDT
It's not what you think, because I have both.  I'm not asking for an utter opinion so I can run out and buy just one.

This being California, there are no stores anywhere that stock Aimpoints or EOTechs, let alone both.  So I bought both that I might compare them in person.

Problem is, I can't decide.  Everyone else's prior opinions aside, I came up with my own plusses and minuses, but I still can't make a decision.  Keeping both is not an option, I don't want two kinds of red dot optics if I need multiples.

EOTech positives:
-Wide field of view.  This is a plus, but barely, because the EOTech reticle is so huge, the frame HAS to be big to accomodate it if you move your head at all.
-Easy mountability without expensive mounts.
-Simple operation.  Tap one button, reticle comes up at an appreciable luminosity.

EOTech negatives:
-Big reticle.  Yes, I consider this a negative.  The reticle is just too huge, and to me, it's not any "faster" than the Aimpoint.  Though if the reticle were any smaller, the 1 MOA dot would be crowded too much, and if it were any larger, it would be comical.  The reticle IS the right size... it's just... too big.
-Sits too low.  It's good to have the front sight post as a point of reference, but the EOTech sits too low.  This means I have to buy some rediculously expensive 1/4" riser, something that should come with it from the factory.
-Thick frame.  The aluminum shell adds another 1/4" on all sides, and it's a shame.  I wish they either hugged the aluminum shell closer to the plastic frame, or just made the whole body out of aluminum to get it thinner.

Aimpoint positives:
-Utter simplicity.  It's a circle, with a red dot in the center.  Aim and shoot.  No confusing square frame, no bulky reticle.
-Just as "fast" as the EOTech, because of the first point--simplicity.  The EOTech tries to mimick the Aimpoint by adding a circle with a dot in the center, but the Aimpoint's circle is bigger and more simple.  No squares or hard edges involved.
-A little bit lighter than the EOTech.

Aimpoint negatives:
-Difficult to turn on.  Yeah, you can leave it on for 10 years, but why?  I'm not leaving it on in my safe, and I wouldn't leave it on most of the time.  Having to turn the knob to 6 or 7 every single time you want it on is a pain, and settings 1-3 aren't visible even in complete darkness (though to be fair I didn't let my eyes adjust).
-Expensive optic, and expensive mount.
-Also has a thick frame.  Though it's not as thick as the EOTech, it is thicker than the EOTech would be if it didn't have it's protective shell.

This all goes of course with the known facts.  Aimpoints batteries last longer, but AAs are easier to get for the EOTech.  They are both rugged, both used by armed forces, both accurate and easily adjustable, and both look keen, on the outside and through the viewport.

It would seem as though I favor the EOTech, but I don't.  The simplicity of the Aimpoint is too valuable to ignore.

Can you guys help me?  I just can't come to a decision on my own.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:06:47 PM EDT
[#1]
AIMPOINT!...don't need to put up much argument or opinion..you did that.
I just think the eotech negatives outweigh the aimpoint negatives.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:30:18 AM EDT
[#2]
EOTech!!!

Personally, flip a coin. I have both (512 F and CompM) and I'm not getting rid of either. I will buy another EOTech before I get another Aimpoint, though.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:35:16 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
EOTech!!!

Personally, flip a coin. I have both (512 F and CompM) and I'm not getting rid of either. I will buy another EOTech before I get another Aimpoint, though.

WIZZO

I too have both, just recently the 512. I'm impressed with it. I'd probably get another EOThing before another ML2.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 1:30:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

A

Aimpoint negatives:
-Difficult to turn on.  Yeah, you can leave it on for 10 years, but why?  I'm not leaving it on in my safe, and I wouldn't leave it on most of the time.  Having to turn the knob to 6 or 7 every single time you want it on is a pain,

No offense, but you can load magazines, pull a trigger, hit a bolt release, pull the charging handle, but you can't turn a knob?
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 4:02:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Flip the coin...  I was in the same boat and went with the Aimpoint M2.  I based my decision on the praticular EOTech of mine having several reliability/quality issues.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 4:23:03 PM EDT
[#6]
*sigh*

If I couldn't come to a decision myself, I don't really know why I made this thread.  Dumb idea.

I made my choice.  Aimpoint is on it's way back home.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top