Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2006 11:37:13 PM EDT
Ones a Nikon, the other a Burris, both are 6.5-20s. Both are 1'. The only real differece I can see is that the Burris has some form of Mil-dot, where the Nikon is the Nikoplex, not sure how accurate the Mil-dots are on the Burris though. Price is close enough so that it wont be a deciding factor. What im asking for is personal experience with the 2 brands customer support, warranty, ect.  As stated in the title, these will grace my new DPMS .308

The Nikon

Nikon

The Burris

Burris
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:35:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Sheesh, little help here?
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 10:09:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I had that exact Burris on my Savage 22-250 and the Optics was terrible. My friends $110.00 Eagle optics scope had far better optics. Needless to say I either got a bad one or that is what they are, I did take mine back to Cabelas.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 12:21:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not overly impressed withe the 2 Fullfield IIs I had...and wouldn't pay that kind of money for one.  

I don't know which DPMS .308 you have...I've got the LR model.  I had the barrel cut to 20" and fluted...it really helped to alleviate the front heaviness of the rifle.  I have a 10x Super Sniper on that rifle, which I think works really well.  

I don't have any experiences with the Monarch line, but I love my Buckmaster...great scope for what I paid for it (dealer pricing at Midway--$237).  

Honestly, I'd look at the Weaver Grand Slams...the glass is very nice on those, and they make a 6x20x40 version.  I have one, and recommend this scope to everyone who's looking for that much magnification, and doesn't have the $$ for a Zeiss or higher end Leupy.  

I guess most folks would consider a 6x20x scope more of a "varmint" scope, but there's no reason you can't slap one on a .308.  

No warranty issues so far on any of these scopes that I own, so I can't give you any assist on that, sorry.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 12:30:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm not overly impressed withe the 2 Fullfield IIs I had...and wouldn't pay that kind of money for one.  

I don't know which DPMS .308 you have...I've got the LR model.  I had the barrel cut to 20" and fluted...it really helped to alleviate the front heaviness of the rifle.  I have a 10x Super Sniper on that rifle, which I think works really well.  

I don't have any experiences with the Monarch line, but I love my Buckmaster...great scope for what I paid for it (dealer pricing at Midway--$237).  

Honestly, I'd look at the Weaver Grand Slams...the glass is very nice on those, and they make a 6x20x40 version.  I have one, and recommend this scope to everyone who's looking for that much magnification, and doesn't have the $$ for a Zeiss or higher end Leupy.  

Its the same as yours, the 24in LR model.  Other than weight reduction, did the LR seem to handle better after loosing 4in?

I guess most folks would consider a 6x20x scope more of a "varmint" scope, but there's no reason you can't slap one on a .308.  

No warranty issues so far on any of these scopes that I own, so I can't give you any assist on that, sorry.  

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 2:17:31 PM EDT
[#5]
You're not going to like the answer, but go with a Super Sniper fixed power scope, or save your money and buy something better (a Leupold for example).

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 2:26:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Im sure to get an ass whoopin for this one, but I have had a Nikon Monarch and loved it, I currently have on my DPMS LR 308 .........................
Tasco Varminter 6-24 X40----- I know you wont believe this but its a freakin great scope for the money, I know I know, hey, I wasnt thinking of keeping it till I shot with it. I have no problem except for maybe eye relief at higher magnification. And its not quite as bright as my Nikon or Leupold, but for the money....... Its a Damned good scope.
Flame away.
Paul
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:44:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Its the same as yours, the 24in LR model.  Other than weight reduction, did the LR seem to handle better after loosing 4in?

World of difference in the way the thing feels/points.  It's still not light, but the awkward feel of the front heaviness is long gone.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top