Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2006 10:08:52 PM EDT
I'm brainstorming what I want on my first AR and I want a setup that gives me a good lower third cowitness with an EOtech.

The ARMS #38 sleeve seems like a practical and affordable combination of a riser, rail protector, and back up iron... if it can give me a good cowitness I will be sold.

What do you guys think?  If I didn't go for this set up I would probably get a La Rue BUIS and wait for the new EOtechs with the inreased height and throw lever to come out.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:22:16 AM EDT
[#1]
IT will work as you have noted, placing the irons in the lower third of the EO.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:28:09 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm brainstorming what I want on my first AR and I want a setup that gives me a good lower third cowitness with an EOtech.

The ARMS #38 sleeve seems like a practical and affordable combination of a riser, rail protector, and back up iron... if it can give me a good cowitness I will be sold.

What do you guys think?  If I didn't go for this set up I would probably get a La Rue BUIS and wait for the new EOtechs with the inreased height and throw lever to come out.

I think it will put the EOTech to high and you won't be able to co-witness at all. I have never tried it, but do have a LT EOTech mount and I know that it is not as high as the #38.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:39:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I think it will put the EOTech to high and you won't be able to co-witness at all. I have never tried it, but do have a LT EOTech mount and I know that it is not as high as the #38.

+1

The #38 is too high...mine puts the front sight post in the lower 1/5 when cowitnessing. I bought my #38 for the same reasons you mention, now I never use it. It does work great with an ACOG.

The LT Mount and seperate BUIS is a much better solution as you swap-out optics and change configurations. (more mounts are designed for the flat top, than the #38)
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:36:17 AM EDT
[#4]
As I have used the EOTech I once had at a "true" co-witness height, sorry for my comments above, in that the one time I actually set it and shot it on the ARMS #38 EX equipped rifle, I always thought that's what they meant by being in the lower third of the glass.

The irons are low in the glass but they were still useable, just not all that fast.

Now I find out that's the lower fifth, my bad....., guess that's why it didn't stay long in that configuration as I preferred co-witness height and used the EO I had sans additional mounts; it just set directly on the flat-top.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:23:35 PM EDT
[#5]
yeah, the #38 is definitely higher than you want.  Most other types of plain ol' risers are also too high.

The RRA Dominator, YHM Eotech Riser and LaRue are the only three that I can think of that raise it a good amount.

I have the LaRue...
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:17:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info guys, exactly what I needed.  

I just noticed that the YHM mount is only $40 (according to their website).  I'm sure all these mounts are great, but for my Wallet's sake I'll probably go with the YHM mount and the LaRue back up sight.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:25:17 PM EDT
[#7]
No cowitness with the #38.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top