Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/28/2006 3:11:54 PM EDT
Anyone have any good info on whether it is better to mount your scope using high mounts or have the scope sit lower to the flat top?

Advantages, disadvantages??
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#1]
its best to keep it close as possable to keep it low to the barrel. but  i had to go with extra high rings tho to clear my b.u.i.s
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:11:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Keep it as close to the barrel as possible but also get the rings that work with you.
Everyone is different.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:55:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Guess I'm thinking of clearance of the front sight.  Suggestions.

I have read posts where it said you would only see a blur??? if your scope was mounted in line with the front sights.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:08:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep, just a blur
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:43:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd like to know myself. I'm buying a scope and wondering how to mount it now. Looks like the carrying handle is my only option unless there is scope mounts that offset to the side some to bypass the front sights.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:47:01 PM EDT
[#6]
The optimum hieght for the optic to be on an AR platform is 1.5" on axis above the flat top reciever. I used a Larue SPR mount with a 3-9 power scope and never saw even a blur of the front sight. MSTN has a great thread in his industry forum on mounting a scope on an AR you should check out. here is the link
www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=134&t=141691
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:59:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I mounted a 3x9 on a colt HBAR in the late 80's on the carrying handle. Only problem you could have is if the scope has enough internal adjustments to bring it to zero. som have to be shimmed in the rear rings.
JR
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top