Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2006 9:21:33 PM EDT
I was wondering what type of battery life to expect from one of these eotech on just regular run of the mill duracell or energizer alkaline batteries.  Im sure they are far less then lithium AA batteries, but they must be at least sufficient.  Im sure in the SHTF situation, regular AA batteries will be easy to find.  Hell, I have about 48 AA batteries that I bought from costco sitting in a drawer downstairs.  

Just wondering.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:53:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends on what setting you leave the sight on.  There is data posted at EOTech's website for the standard setting of 12 (the default on setting).  However the default setting isn't bright enough for a sunny day outside - you need more like 17 or 18 for that.

Run the test yourself it shouldn't take more than a week or two.  Put in a pair of batteries turn on the sight (8 hours) and set it where you want to test it.  At 7 hours or so verify the sight is still on.  Then when it turns off at 8 hours - restart it (check to see if the reticule is blinking) and reset it to your preffered setting.  You should be able to get in two 8 hour cycles per day, continue this till you get a cycle that doesn't last 8 hours (sometime after the reticule starts blinking on startup).

That way you will KNOW exactly what your sight can do with your chosen battery.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:06:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep, that would give me the best answer, however...

The reason why I am asking is because the utility of having an optic that can use AA bataries sounds like I good idea.  I have not yet purchased one yet, so I am trying to see if having AA capabilities is worth buying this optic over say an aimpoint.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:37:35 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yep, that would give me the best answer, however...

The reason why I am asking is because the utility of having an optic that can use AA bataries sounds like I good idea.  I have not yet purchased one yet, so I am trying to see if having AA capabilities is worth buying this optic over say an aimpoint.  

Where do you live?

I've been out in a lot of cold weather hunting and shooting this winter (the coldest was about 4 hours out at a shoot between -10 and 0 degrees) and the duracells finally gave up the ghost after about 7 months.

I would suggest Lithiums if you're in any cold weather. Hell, I'd suggest Lithiums....period.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:29:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
...so I am trying to see if having AA capabilities is worth buying this optic over say an aimpoint.  

Either you like the idea or not.  EOTechs use a Laser, Aimpoints use a LED, as such EOTechs will never have the battery life of an Aimpoint.

Like I said the data is published on their website if you're really interested.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top