Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2006 3:47:04 PM EDT
Anybody have any experience with this red dot.....????? Is it like a smaller version of the Eotech????
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:12:14 PM EDT
[#1]
It is a small red dot sight that is closer to an aimpoint as compared to an EOTech. It comes in 4 different models: a 3.5 MOA dot and a 7 MOA dot, in a standard sight or their Military Model. I have both a standard and a military, and as far as I can tell the only difference between the two is that the military model has a saffire covering that protects the emitter from foreign object entry (ie: mud and snow) and a gasket that makes the unit wate resistant to 3 or 4 meters.

The sight works on the "always on" principle...it has a small sensor that detects ambient light levels in the target area and then automatically adjusts the contrast of the sight. There is NO manual brightness adjustment. To turn the sight "off", you have to either put on the little  hood that comes with it, or store it in darkness. The battery is said to last 3 years with normal use...whatever that means I don't know. I have had my initial Dr Sight for over 3 years now, used for about 10 minutes every day and the battery is still going strong. I will replace it soon just to stop worrying.

The sight is very similar to the JPoints...except it is far better made (glass and metal construction as compared to plastic and acrylic). The sight is extremely small, and weighs a mere 2 to 3 ounces.

Photograph illustrating the view through the Dr:

Photograph of the Dr Optik Military:

Mini review of the Dr. Sight on a SAGE EBR Chopmod equipped M1A here (about 2/3 of the way down).

Diminuative footprint of the sight on my M1A:

Do I like it? You betcha, however I've since stripped the sight off the gun and am now an irons only lad...

Good luck,

Brobee
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:24:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Brobee,

Thanks for the good info.... Is there any reason besides size, why I should consider the doctor over an Eotech....  ???
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:50:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd like to try the Doctor sight for a lightweight project.  Someone needs to make a mount for it with an integrated protective hood like the EOTech 51x/55x series.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:52:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Plus over Eotech... it automatically adjusts to all lighting conditions. Day night, quick use of flashlight indoors etc with a built in forward facing light sensor.

Negative... a tiny glob of mud 1mm by 1mm will obsure the emitter and render the whole sight useless.  

The Eotech uses a holographic laser from withing the glass viewing pane area.  Dr Optic uses a reflected LED.  The Dr Optic must have the straight shot from the emitter to your eye, bouncing off the glass.  The Eotech can have a hole shot in the lens or have the body covered in mud and any part fo the lense ouncoverd will still work as an aiming sight.

The Eotech is about 10X as robust as a Dr Optic.  The aluminum body for the Dr Optic is very thin and fragile.  If you dropped your weapon on the optic from waist height it would destroy the Dr Optic but probably not the Eotech. The Dr Optic weighs only 1.06 ounces.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:04:09 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks guys for all the input...
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top