Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/23/2006 8:16:12 PM EDT
I have the IOR 1.1-4 on a Larue mount and it conflicts with my YHM BUIS, as shown below.  That configuration is workable, but I'd like to get the scope back over the BUIS like the second picture.

Is the YHM too tall, the objective on the IOR too large, or am I missing something?

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:16:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like you need a low profile BUIS.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:27:46 AM EDT
[#2]
How do you like that scope?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:17:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I've searched here and looked through the big bad buis faq but "low profile" doesn't seem to be a characteristic of BUISs that gets a lot of attention.  Do you know of any low profile BUIS I could check out?

I haven't had a chance to shoot with the scope, but based on my couch commando sessions I'm pretty impressed.  The thickness of the ring is fast up close on 1.1x but not much bother at distances.  1.1x works well with both eyes open; the dominant eye image is slightly larger but not enough to confuse things.  The lighted reticle doesn't show much in daylight unless the background is very dark, which is about the only time I really need a lighted reticle with good light.  It's a gray day out and any issues with clarity in the following pictures are an artifact of my camera; the scope itself is crisp at all powers.

The gate in the fence is about 50 yards out, I think.  This is at 1.1x.

Same gate at 4x.

Same as above only with lit reticle on highest setting.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:38:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Do you know of any low profile BUIS I could check out?

ARMS#40L

Troy

KAC 300M

KAC 600M

All are low profile.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:51:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Is the YHM too tall, the objective on the IOR too large, or am I missing something?

www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/S&B%20short%20dot.JPG

Yes, the YHM is too tall for your set-up. The low-profile sight in the pic you posted from G&R is the TROY Folding Battle Sight. I highly recommend the TROY and the ARMS 40L is a close second choice.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:12:28 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 on the troy or arms 40l
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:12:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys; Troy it is.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:46:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice cat.  Mine always had an annoying tendency of walking in front of my rifle when I'm shooting.  And no I haven't shot one it's just annoying.  

I was going to say something about the backup but it looks like it's sitting flush even with the railgrabber not right.  That's surprising as the Larue mounts are pretty high.  

Now I'm wondering if my Ior will claer my GG&G mad.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:01:41 PM EDT
[#9]
What scope caps do you have on your IOR?

Still waiting for someone0 else's IOR Pics and range report too
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:01:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Nice cat.

...looks like it's sitting flush even with the railgrabber not right.

Now I'm wondering if my Ior will claer my GG&G mad.

The cat's waiting to drag back a deer if one wanders into the back yard there and I shoot it through the dining room window.  Good eye on the rail cleat, or whatever it's called, not being right!  I corrected that after I took the picture and it improved the situation slightly but the scope still hit.  I ran the rifle by the shop I frequent and test fit a Troy battle sight and it did indeed fit under there with some room to spare.

Quoted:
What scope caps do you have on your IOR?

I have the Weaver Polar Scope Caps, which I like because they come with gray and yellow lenses so you can sight through the scope with the caps closed, but the rear doesn't fit all that great.  Once the rubber ring that comes with the IOR is removed there is just a narrow ledge for it to grab on between the ridges for the original rubber ring and the blue ring that's a larger diameter.  It doesn't even slide on all the way before hitting the blue ring.  I'm going to try a Butler Creek and see how that works.

BTW, I'm going to scan in the IOR manual, such that it is, and post it later this morning in the 1x-4x optic thread or this thread.

ETA:  I forgot the range report!  I was shooting at a 10" circle at 50yrds to get things sighted in.  After a couple of adjustments without too much effort and resting on sandbags I was chewing out a nice 1.25" hole in the middle of the target.  The fat ring of the CQB reticle wasn't in the way like I thought it might be, it even seemed to help lining up on the rings of the target.  Next weeekend I'm going up to shoot on the family farm so I should have a better idea then how the reticle works picking up various non-paper targets closer in, as well as punching paper at 100 yards and farther.

ETA:  Here's the IOR manual as a PDF download and as pics below:

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:21:03 PM EDT
[#11]
best thing to do when using buis is to mount the scope forward enough to deploy the buis.  itll work perfectly when shooting ntch.  use the eer and mount the scope forward in the rings.  i just use a one piece mount and gap it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:12:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
best thing to do when using buis is to mount the scope forward enough to deploy the buis.  itll work perfectly when shooting ntch.

Are you implying that you can co-witness through the scope?  Most of the set-ups I see on here show magnified optics with the BUIS under the scope, planning to remove the scope in order to employ the BUIS, while non-magnified optics are located forward of the rear BUIS so the iron sights can be flipped up to co-witness through a nonoperative optic.  Or am I missing something?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:17:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
best thing to do when using buis is to mount the scope forward enough to deploy the buis.  itll work perfectly when shooting ntch.

Are you implying that you can co-witness through the scope?  Most of the set-ups I see on here show magnified optics with the BUIS under the scope, planning to remove the scope in order to employ the BUIS, while non-magnified optics are located forward of the rear BUIS so the iron sights can be flipped up to co-witness through a nonoperative optic.  Or am I missing something?

thats the idea.  may not work with your 1.1.  never looked through one of those.  i was thinking with a true 1x.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:26:39 AM EDT
[#14]
I get you.  I was just assuming it wouldn't work with the 1.1x.  I'll have to give it a look this weekend and see how it works.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top