Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2006 5:06:21 PM EDT
I have a Yankee Hill Machine front gas block/flip-up sight.  It has a lot of finish wear to a point that it looks terrible.  I want to refinish it, so I was wondering if it is possible to disassemble it with just a press, or what would I need?  Anyone ever attempted taking a YHM front flip up apart, or know how I should go about it?  Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:45:19 PM EDT
[#1]
No idea Bernie, but how do you like the sight other then finish wear?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:05:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Send it to me.  I'll duracoat it in flat black for you for nothing as long as it doesn't require disassembly because it's rusted or something.

I have been known to get some nice thin coats in some very tight areas (if ya know what I mean)

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:20:20 PM EDT
[#3]
The hinge pin is just an interference fit. I used a punch and small hammer to tap it out.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:56:55 PM EDT
[#4]
 Thanks guys, but I had a change of plans.  I liked the YHM sight, but I decided to go with a longer 9 inch handguard (Samson).  I am just using a LaRue gas block underneath and mounting a Troy HK-style flip-up on top of the handguard.  It looks sooooo sweet.  Oh yeah, don't even try to disassemble the YHM unless you have a press (I don't know how you did it chuck1).  Thanks for the duracoat offer anyways JosephR.  I hope to post some pics in the other threads when my build is complete.  
 Mark, I liked the YHM sight sight, but I also did not need the bayonet lug or the sling adapter (I am using a single-point).  The only downside to me besides the finish is the clamp method that it uses to mount (atleast the one I had).  The screws just go up through the bottom, not a very smooth look.  After it is all said and done, I like the way that I opted to go best (covering the gas block with the handguard), but that is my personal preference.  It is probably a good buy for the money.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top