Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2006 12:27:43 PM EDT
Ok I've decided to do the Improved Barttlesight Zero from Maryland Ar Shooters site.  I have some things I'm just a touch foggy on.

On one of my ARs the DPMS buis I have is the 6/3 style with 4 "clicks" from 3 to 4.  (Funny..the same buis I bought about 4 years ago is the 8/3 2 click animal?)  So when I do the adjustment with loosening the set screw I should move the site wheel 4 "clicks" CW instead of 2?

Once the zero-ing at 50 yards is accomplished I should bring the site back to the 6/3 (8/3 for my other buis) position with the larger aperture (0-2) for general shooting, say zombies at 0-100 yards?

Boy,  I hope my questions make sense.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Rob
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:10:22 PM EDT
[#1]

On one of my ARs the DPMS buis I have is the 6/3 style with 4 "clicks" from 3 to 4.  ... So when I do the adjustment with loosening the set screw I should move the site wheel 4 "clicks" CW instead of 2?

Yep.  Think of that as having "half clicks" so you double everything from the A2 numbers.

Once the zero-ing at 50 yards is accomplished I should bring the site back to the 6/3 (8/3 for my other buis) position with the larger aperture (0-2) for general shooting, say zombies at 0-100 yards?

Yep.  Use "8/3-2" (6/3-4 on the half-click one) with the small aperture for 0-250 and with it set at 8/3 (6/3) with the big aperture it should be the same.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:24:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the help.  Much appreciated!

R
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:05:25 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
On one of my ARs the DPMS buis I have is the 6/3 style with 4 "clicks" from 3 to 4.

I just re-read this part, and the IBSZ instructions again.  It says the "full click" has 3 clicks from 3 to 4 and the "half click" has 6.   So now I'm not sure which yours is.  

IIRC the clicks build up--3 from 3 to 4, 4 from 4 to 5, 5 from 5 to 6, etc--on my fixed A2 and the handle is double that.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:35:31 AM EDT
[#4]
My bad

3 and 6 is what I meant.  I got it cornfused with the -4 part.

R
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:35:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok a progress report

I went to a nearby indoor 50 yard range today and played with my new RRA upper with the DPMS BUIS.  I used the small aperture and found the only adjustment needed was for raising the shot about 3".  RRA was shooting super straight with very tight groupage!  So I then move the wheel to the 8/3 mark and flipped the aperture to the larger one.  Shot again at the same 50 yards and found the groups to be larger and the gun shooting about 2-3" high. I wonder if it was me or does this sound normal?

R
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:30:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I have one of the XS same-plane apertures on my carbine so I don't have to worry about it, but my 20" still has the A2 aperture.  My groups get bigger with the big aperture too.  I've not noticed such a big POI shift, but my groups with the big are so much bigger it's hard to tell if they're centered on the same place or not.  

According to this FAQ there are 3 different versions of the rear aperture (and as far as I know no way to tell them apart).   IIRC the "full" clicks are 1 MOA and they show shifts of more than 2 clicks worth so it's entirely possible for the two settings to not match up like they should, but I believe it should shoot low, not high, if you had one of the bigger shifts.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:37:10 AM EDT
[#7]
So what's the difficulty in changing that aperture out?  I picture all these small parts being flung across my basement once a screw is removed!~

Rob
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:41:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
So what's the difficulty in changing that aperture out?  I picture all these small parts being flung across my basement once a screw is removed!~

Rob

Not tought at all, just be careful as there are some small parts (springs & ball bearings).

If you haven't already done so download the -23& from this site (click on the information button), it will have complete instructions in chapter 3 (complete with pictures).

It's just a matter of tapping out a roll pin MOST of the way, then turning a screw.  Pretty darn easy.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:14:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Takes about 5 mintes and I did it at the range so I could compare befor and after back to back.  The XS aperture comes with instructions, but I had looked at the -23&P too.  Basically you just push the roll pin in the windage knob out enough to get the knob to turn on the screw, unscrew it, making sure you don't lose the ball and spring under it, turn the screw side until the aperture comes off the end, put the new one on and reverse to reassemble.  I used the punch as slave pin to hold everything lined up while I pushed the roll pin back in with a larger one.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:37:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Hmm Ok so what was your results at the range?

Sounds like more money spent on my ARs!  :D

R
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:44:33 AM EDT
[#11]
My results?  IIRC the plane the XS uses wasn't the same as the small on the A2 so I had to re-zero, but it worked fine.   The apertures on the XS are larger than the A2--the A2 has small and large, the XS has medium and huge--and I'm not sure yet if I like that or not.  The XS is a darker black, but a little shinier than the A2 ap as well.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:29:55 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My results?  IIRC the plane the XS uses wasn't the same as the small on the A2 so I had to re-zero, but it worked fine.   The apertures on the XS are larger than the A2--the A2 has small and large, the XS has medium and huge--and I'm not sure yet if I like that or not.  The XS is a darker black, but a little shinier than the A2 ap as well.  

Remember the XS was designed to be used with their wider front sights, hence the larger apertures.  It also works well with the Trijicon front sight IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:39:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Ok that makes sense.  Anyone have the good source for the good price on the XS parts?  

R
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:05:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I got mine from Midway, on sale for about $28.  I can't find the aperture by itself there now though, just packaged with the tritium fronts.  Brownell's had it too, and IIRC their price was cheaper than Midway's regular price by about $1.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top