Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2006 9:01:55 PM EDT
I'm currently in the market for the rear Troy Industries BUIS.  I've looked through the EE and found that SKD Tactical, Inc. has two different models.

1.  FBS-F
2.  FBS-RA1.SKD

So far the only difference I can find between them is the windage dial has a pin lock on model #2.  I know that it can be adjusted by using the tip of the 5.56 bullet.

My question is...why would you want that?  Wouldn't you want to be able to make quicker adjustments?  Or should I be more worried about accidently making an adjustment?

So which one would you guys buy or own?

Thanks!

-MEI
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:15:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:43:09 AM EDT
[#2]
The standard M16/M4 rear is designed to be adjusted using the tip of a round, hence the request by some for the (excellent) Troy BUIS to be similar.

That said, how many times will you adjust the windage on your rifle?  After the first range session & you get it zerod in it'll prolly spend most all of its time folded back down, as it's supposed to be a supplement to an optic of some sort.

It just boils down to personal preference.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:33:47 AM EDT
[#3]
i have never had a problem with my std troy's wind. knob moving and as much of a pain it is to move intentionally i doubt it will move accidently
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:29:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
i have never had a problem with my std troy's wind. knob moving and as much of a pain it is to move intentionally i doubt it will move accidently

Thanks

Has anyone else had a problem with it accidently moving?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:43:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I went with the SKD model because, 1. I wanted something a little different, and 2. I wanted the added insurance. Like someone already mentioned, set it and forget it so why not have the lock. One thing though, an M193 tip (55 gr.) won't work, not on mine at least. Maybe M855 will work better.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:38:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I went with the SKD model because, 1. I wanted something a little different, and 2. I wanted the added insurance. Like someone already mentioned, set it and forget it so why not have the lock. One thing though, an M193 tip (55 gr.) won't work, not on mine at least. Maybe M855 will work better.

So what do you keep on hand to adjust it?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:51:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

Won't happen.  What he said.  It's TIGHT.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:20:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

Won't happen.  What he said.  It's TIGHT.

Damn...now I can't decide whether or not I should wait for the pin lock model to be back in stock.  I know that I want that model but I would like to order it now.  I have no patience.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:44:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what do you keep on hand to adjust it?

A Pilot G2.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:26:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I just ordered the standard today, why spend extra unless you feel it's necessary
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:38:49 AM EDT
[#11]
That's good feedback for me too, thanks
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:17:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I just ordered the standard today, why spend extra unless you feel it's necessary

I dunno...just the thought of knowing that it will be exactly where you put it when time comes when you have to use it makes me wanna spend the extra $10 on it.

Just my .02

-MEI
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:26:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dunno...just the thought of knowing that it will be exactly where you put it when time comes when you have to use it makes me wanna spend the extra $10 on it.

Just my .02

-MEI

Just to give you some perspective, MEI, when we say it's tight we mean it's TIGHT.

As in, you really have to push to make it move one click.  It's the tightest windage knob I've ever found, actually.  It's not trivial to move it.

But, by all means, get what you want so you don't have buyer's remorse.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:31:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just my .02

-MEI

Just to give you some perspective, MEI, when we say it's tight we mean it's TIGHT.

As in, you really have to push to make it move one click.  It's the tightest windage knob I've ever found, actually.  It's not trivial to move it.

But, by all means, get what you want so you don't have buyer's remorse.

Hmm...that's good to know.  I just figured it was like any other windage knob I had used in the past.  My current BUIS is easy to move.  Funny thing is...SKD just got them back in stock and I ordered one just minutes ago.  I may have wasted $10...but i'll be happy.  Thanks for your feedback on the situation...very nice.

-MEI
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:17:59 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a RA1.SKD I will sell for the price of a regular model.  I want to get a front sight and want to order the front and rear together to make sure the anodisation matches.  I use a Bic pen to adjust the sight.

[Edit]

Oops. Too late.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:20:04 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I have a RA1.SKD I will sell for the price of a regular model.  I want to get a front sight and want to order the front and rear together to make sure the anodisation matches.

Wow...
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:29:03 AM EDT
[#17]
I remember reading somewheres the reason for the locking windage knob is it was designed with soldiers/cops in mind. That when you draw you weapon out of the arms room you dont have to worry if someone was messing with your windage.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:53:38 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have a RA1.SKD I will sell for the price of a regular model.  I want to get a front sight and want to order the front and rear together to make sure the anodisation matches.

Wow...

twas a joke bud.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:28:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Exactly...hahaha, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone tried that one.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top