Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2006 4:35:43 PM EDT
Has anyone tried these? how did you like them? I'd like to use them as a cheap alternative to a red dot for low light.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:21:20 PM EDT
[#1]
They work and require a totally different method for aiming at night.  Its a long ass explanation but I would pass is the short answer.  They in NO WAY can compete with a red dot sight.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:51:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I use nightsights on all my SHTF guns, but if you are looking for a red dot alternative for night work, you'd be better served by spending ten bucks more or so and buying one of those fairly rugged Aimpoint copies off jack in the EE or from his ebay store.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:59:53 PM EDT
[#3]
My eyes aren't as good as they use to be.  When shooting in low light conditions I have a hard time locating the front sight post.  I've painted a white mark on my front sight and it helps.  I was thinking of using only the front night sight on my go to AR15.  Not as a real night sight but something to help locate the sight easier.  

I've got an Aimpoint on my carbine but figure it would help.  Anyone using a front night sight to help their old eyes?  

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:24:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I use a Trijicon FSP.  Troy rear with no inserts.  The general consensus is that night sights on the rear sight would be too close to the eye to be usefull.  

I use an Aimpoint as my primary but like the Trijicon FSP as backup for lowlight.  Definatley makes a big difference in picking up the FSP at night.  Huge difference.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:16:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I have Trijicon on both the front and rear. I swapped the rear out on a ARMS 40. They back up my Aimpoint.
The rears are fuzzy when sighting but without any rear sight reference what good is a front sight?
Thats why the rear lamps are so small.

mark
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:24:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm no Navy Seal but I'll chime in on the other side of the fence as I do alot of shooting after work hours.  I do not like tritium front sight posts on my AR15(s) because if I'm in a low light situation I always have a light on my AR15 and with one push of the button my black sight post is once again the dominant feature in my sight plane.

I find the tritium also does not give me the option of brightness control, and trying to focus on a target at dusk with the tritium glaring at you is a annoying to me.  With the red dots you can adjust the brightness level.  As with all things YMMV but that's my 2 cents.

Sure you can find the front sight post faster but at what cost?

Discuss.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:30:17 PM EDT
[#7]
If they're sturdy, I will give em a shot. You guys think they will fit an A1 upper?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:23:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the front and rear.  Read are a waste of money.  Front work at night, but don't expect precision from the sight as it is really thick.  This is a backup sight for me.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:28:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a tritium front on the carbine, and don't know that it offers much advantage, particularly on a flip-up BUIS.  Also, if it is really dark out, the tritium tends to bloom a bit in the NV.

Both of my Glocks have tritium F&R, and I wouldn't have it any other way for that application.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:40:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I've herd that the tritium sights will give you away under night vision.  I have no idea if this is true or not. sounds plausable.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:45:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've herd that the tritium sights will give you away under night vision.  I have no idea if this is true or not. sounds plausable.

Very believable. On moonless nights in rural areas I've spotted tritiums about 15 yards away with the naked eye. My main beef with tritiums is they don't have an "off" switch.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:34:10 PM EDT
[#12]
You can definitely see tritium with NV, but then again, you can also see the operator.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top