Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2006 7:47:44 AM EDT
Ok, as a newbie, I need a little education here. What are the advantages and disadvantages of having either a scope or a red dot site? What is the purpose of each one in certain situations? I know the scope would be for long range work and the red dot for short range tactical work. I guess I am just trying to decide what I really need and what to get. Thanks for any comments and help!

E
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:15:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I would have to say go with a scope. Because if your batteries die in a SHTF situation and you lose your little red dot, I would'nt want to be changing batteries while I'm being shot at. Then again I'm a newb also so someone may say thats why you have BUIS. Oh well I'm happy with my compact scope.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:23:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Red-dot gives you faster target aquisition but good with the iron sights first.

That's why you co-witness the red-dot with your iron sights or you could get a Trijicon reflex sight and not worry about batteries at all
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:44:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Ok, as a newbie, I need a little education here. What are the advantages and disadvantages of having either a scope or a red dot site? What is the purpose of each one in certain situations? I know the scope would be for long range work and the red dot for short range tactical work. I guess I am just trying to decide what I really need and what to get. Thanks for any comments and help!

E

You really need to decide what type of shooting you will be doing and what type of rifle you have/will be getting.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:18:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

E

From my experience and what someone else posted, you really have to decide what you are going to need the scope/red dot for.

Red Dots:
a.  Uses:  (0-100 Yards)
b.  The best CQB (Close Quarters) sight available due to rapid target acquisition.
c.  Good all purpose Military/Law Enforcement sight.  Limited only by 1X magnification.
d.  Excellent for hunting where speed is desired over magnification.

Pro’s:
a.  Generally very rugged.
b.  Unlimited eye relief.
c.  Parallax free (Dot does not need to be centered in the scope.).

Con’s:
a.  Uses batteries.  (Although some have a battery life of 50,000 hrs.).
b.  1X magnification.  (Although some Aimpoint Sights come in a fixed 2X magnification or a 3X magnifier can be used in tandem with some Aimpoint Sights.).
c.  Can fail.

Scopes:
a.  Uses:  (0-500 Yards)
b.  Good CQB scope, depending on the magnification range.
c.  Good all purpose Military/Law Enforcement scope.
d.  Good for hunting where speed and magnification is desired.

Pro’s:
a.  Variable magnification offers options.  (1-4X magnification.).
b.  Generally very rugged.
c.  Optical glass makes identification easier.
d.  Batteries not an issue since reticle is black.

Con’s:
1.  Not parallax free (Dot needs to be centered in the scope.).
2.  Eye relief is critical.
3.  Can be very expensive.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:40:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the repsonses! Some good food for thought :)
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:02:12 PM EDT
[#6]
What type of rifle are you thinking about putting an optic on.

In my opinion a red dot is better for something shorter, faster, more CQB friendly. While a scope is more practical for something that is accurate at longer ranges, but may be used at shorter ranges if needed.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:07:22 PM EDT
[#7]
my rule of thumb...

If you expect to be making most shots past 100 meters get some magnification.  Under? Get a red dot.  No mater what practice with your irons with you rifle.

I have a rifle with each.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:58:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I have an DPMS M4gery A1 for all that have asked what I have.

E
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:08:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have an DPMS M4gery A1 for all that have asked what I have.

E

Now that I know which rifle you have, if it were me, my first choice would be a red dot, Aimpoint or Eotech. My second choice would be a Trijicon ACOG TA31 or TA31A.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top