Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2006 7:19:23 PM EDT
I am not sure where to post this but this seems to be the best location because it concerns sights.

I have had a former student contact me with a question about his upcoming cataracts surgercy.

For thos who are not familiar with cataracts or the surgery, here is the short version: cataracts is basically a milky discoloration/clouding of the clear lens in your eye and can make seeing very fuzzy (specially in the dark). The surgery involves removing the lens and replacing it with  new clear plastic lens. This usually restores vision to pretty close to 20/20.
If both eyes are done (as it he case with this student) they usually make one eye focus for near sight and the other focus for far sight.

Now here is issue to which I did not really have a good answer:
The student is right handed but left eye dominant. how should the eyes be "re-focused"?
Does he have his right eye focused for near sight (so he can see his gun sights clearly). If he does, how does that affect his dominant eye and taking aim? I would expect he would have to relearn a lot on grip, stance, sight picture etc. etc. since he is left eye dominant and he would now start using his other eye (or am I completely wrong?)
Or does he have his left eye (dominant eye) focused for near sight and his right eye for far sight? This would pretty much allow him to keep shooting the way he has been for a decades.
How does this affect both shooting hand guns as well as rifles (both scoped and non scoped)?

Who has any experience with cataracts surgery or knows of a source to contact that can help answer this gentelman's questions?

Thanks,
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top