Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2006 2:50:55 AM EDT
I was thinking of getting a red dot sight for my PS90 and/or AR-15.
The Bushnell 4-reticle red dot sight looks pretty decent especially at the price. It's less expensive than a Hakko tacpoint but carries a lifetime warranty.
Has anyone used one (The Bushnell)? Can you tell me if its crap or not?
Are there are any other inexpensive red dots I should look at?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:24:04 AM EDT
[#1]
What’s your limit$$$$$$$?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:27:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a Burris XTS-135 and love it.  The dot is crisp and clear.  It only carries a one year warrenty  though.  I paid $198.00 for it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:38:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I did want to get a higher end Red dot but most of them have like 1-2 year warranties, same as the cheap ones.

My limit would be somewhere around $150.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:46:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I did want to get a higher end Red dot but most of them have like 1-2 year warranties, same as the cheap ones.

Then I would agree with WolfFox, that you might be interested in the Burris. But check the Optics section of the E n' E, sometimes you'd be surprised what people sell good quality used optics for.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:05:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I got an Ultradot from Natchez for about $130 to mount on a pistol for pin shooting, but I later put it on a rifle.  It is what the top bullseye shooters use, comes with mounts and a lifetime warrantee.  They come in silver and black, 1" and 30mm.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:31:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Easy choice - the S.P.O.T. (and it comes with a mount).

See this thread: Photoman's SPOT Testing

I picked one up for my son's AR and I gotta say I like it so far.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:48:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the 4 reticle on my FAL and I love it.  It works great and has a very small that I like or you can go with a doughnut of death retilcle.  I paid $90 for mine a gun shop locally.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:00:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

For that price range get a SPOT!!

If this is a range/fun gun that is.

Talk to C4iGrant (G&R Tactical) there are two versions of it now a 4MOA and a 2MOA. The 2 MOA IIRC are going to be shipping without a mount, but Grant may still have some of the 2MOA with mounts. Any Aimpoint type mount will work for them, I run mine in an Aimpoint QRP mount with a spacer when I run it on ARs.

It's a good lil optic.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:10:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I have the Bushnell on my Marlin 375 Win. "brush" rifle. It has either Red or Green sight picture and lived through 1 deer season so far and 40 rounds of 375 fired through it. Paid about $100 or so. Works for me.

SCOUTS OUT
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:41:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I was looking at the Bushnell 4-reticle red dot. Is the 30mm tube large enough for adequate light in low-light conditions?
I desire the 65 MOA circle + 3 MOA dot (aka donut of death). This is similar to the PS90's day reticle.

How is the battery life? What Butler Creek covers will I need? I understand switching to a different reticle will change the sight adjustments, it's not a big deal. I'll stick with 1 reticle that I like.

Also, are the rings that come with the Bushnell of high quality or does it easily break? I heard a few negative reviews on Midway because of the rings breaking apart (the top screws are too short?).
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:35:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I was looking at the Bushnell 4-reticle red dot. Is the 30mm tube large enough for adequate light in low-light conditions? The lenses have a coating on them that mildly reduces light through the scope but I have shot mine in post sunset not quite darkness and it did fine.  
I desire the 65 MOA circle + 3 MOA dot (aka donut of death). This is similar to the PS90's day reticle.

How is the battery life? Great I have never changed mine and I have had it over a year but I don't leave it on for extended periods (maybe an hour a week total)What Butler Creek covers will I need?No clue there. I understand switching to a different reticle will change the sight adjustments, it's not a big deal I was not aware of this, I changed mine and never noticed any issues shooting 12X12 plates at 200 yard.   . I'll stick with 1 reticle that I like.

Also, are the rings that come with the Bushnell of high quality or does it easily break? Mine are on a shorty FAL and a 22lr pistol so recoil is not to harsh but they seem fine to me.  Some folks could break darn near anything though.   I heard a few negative reviews on Midway because of the rings breaking apart (the top screws are too short?). Again never had an issue.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:04:54 AM EDT
[#12]

Thanks for answering my questions! Would you mind measuring the OD at the eyepiece bell and objective bell? I want to get a pair of Butler creek covers but I'm not sure on the size. Midway was guessing that the rubber ring at the eyepiece bell wasn't removable. I'm not even sure flip up covers are needed.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:37:32 AM EDT
[#13]
I believe in you get what you pay for. But  that being said, I have a Simmons Red dot I purchased for a little over $100 several years ago. Still very effective.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:20:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Mellet red dots in 30mm are very nice for the money
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:32:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Millet only carries 5 year warranties on their red dots.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:06:23 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I was thinking of getting a red dot sight for my PS90 and/or AR-15.
The Bushnell 4-reticle red dot sight looks pretty decent especially at the price. It's less expensive than a Hakko tacpoint but carries a lifetime warranty.
Has anyone used one (The Bushnell)? Can you tell me if its crap or not?
Are there are any other inexpensive red dots I should look at?

I have the Bushnell multi-reticle sight on my Beretta Storm, and I love it. Very rugged and it holds its zero. The 65MOA circle/dot is awesome, and fast.

My only gripe is that the 2032 lithium batteries don't last a long time (maybe 6 hours if left one), but that's not a big deal given the scope's cheap price. I turn it off when not in use, but extended on periods might be troublesome if you forget to toggle it. I wish they had a battery saver feature or instant-on button. Small taters, tho.

I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

Quoted:

Thanks for answering my questions! Would you mind measuring the OD at the eyepiece bell and objective bell? I want to get a pair of Butler creek covers but I'm not sure on the size. Midway was guessing that the rubber ring at the eyepiece bell wasn't removable. I'm not even sure flip up covers are needed.

The scope's OD measures 30mm exactly, flip-up caps are easy to find. I used Butler Creek (11A's, IIRC). The rubber eye-piece is removable, both bell and objective end are same size, so one 30mm cap fits both ends the same.

Here's what it looks like with the caps:

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:00:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Got the old style (just red not red/green) multi-reticle on my rabbit-chasing 10/22 and it works just fine.  No complaints at all.  Holds zero, has taken its share of bumps and bruises, and still performs like a champ.  Still on my first set of batteries too (I do turn it off when I'm not using it though).

I might have to pull the glass off my AR and see how it shoots on a real rifle, but no reason to believe it won't do fine.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:31:54 AM EDT
[#18]
I got the 4-reticle Bushnell red dot and it even came with a polarizing filter. At the "1" setting, all reticles appear fairly crisp and clear even when aimed at the sky. I can definitely see each reticle even on bright white surfaces, but it may be clearer at the "3" or "5" settings. Once I took off the polarizing filter, the reticle washes out! I think it was rather neat that Bushnell included one.

The 3 MOA dot is very fine, the crosshairs are neat but the donut of death is very cool!

The only negatives I can see are that the LED reflection seems to show up inside the tube, and when using it in darkness/indoors, the reticles are fuzzy/bloated even at the "1" setting". Once you take it outside, the reticles clear up significantly (ultra sharp).
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top