Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2006 8:55:14 AM EDT
Just wanted to let shooters know about the Mueller Tac II scope.

I just picked up this 3x10x44 mildot scope and really like it.  I am not much of a precision rifle shooter, in fact have never shot with a scope past 100 yards previous to getting this scope.  I wanted to get a "cheap" scope to put on my 18" DPMS .308 that I normally use for He-Man division in 3-gun competition.  This division is "iron sights" only so I didn't want to spend the $800.00 to $1000.00 for a big name scope.  Just looking to make an inexpensive part time precision rig using a rifle I already owned.

Spent a little time on the range sighting the gun in dead on at 100 yards.  Then entered a local informal rifle competion.  The shoot involved shooting smallest group at 100 yards, then shooting for points on bullseye and animal targets from varied position at the 200, 300, 400, and 500 yard lines.  The majority of competitors rifles were heavy bench guns topped with the likes of "Nightforce", "Leupold", "Nikon" etc..  My son was using the excellent 10x Super Sniper.

I wound up placing in the top 1/3 out of 38 shooters.  The reasons are as follows:  

The scope was awesome!!  A lot of the other shooters thought so also.  Good glass with excellent finger adjustments.  I didn't use the mildots to adjust for wind or elevation, just used the clicks.  Very repeatable and appeared to be right on the money.  One 1/4" click at 100 yrds  was exactly 1 1/4" at 500 yards.  More power would be nice for bench type target shooting, but this is exactly the scope I needed for my rifle.  

The rifle was also excellent.  This is a box stock DPMS 18" AR type rifle with a Miculek compensator the only addition.  I may have shot better with an upgraded trigger but was happy overall.

The gun/scope combination was giving me sub 1/2" groups at 100 yards.

For anyone looking to pickup a great scope for an even better price make sure and give Rich at www.muelleroptics.com. a call.  This was by far the best money I have spent on all of my weapons related purchases.  I am not going to go so far as saying this scope was equal to the Nightforces or high end Leupolds of the world.  But I will say dollar for dollar it can't be beat.  Great company to deal with also.

Now I need to pick up one of those new scopes Mueller is making that is geared toward the 3-gun market.  I have a DPMS .223 AR15 just begging for a scope for the Tactical Division.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:50:34 PM EDT
[#1]
What kind of rings are you using with the TAC II?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:28:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I use the Armalite one piece scope mount.

I never really thought this scope and rifle set up would work this well.  Just went the inexpensive route to have something to play with.  The rifle normally wears iron sights only for competition.  I wanted a scope mount that was cheap, durable, and easy to take on and off.  $15.00 on the special sale section at Armalite web site because it was already cammo. colored.

I have to say, with this set up, anyone that is good with a rifle would easily hang with the best mid range precision bolt guns out there.  I am not saying this scope is the equal to the best Leupold, or Nightforce.  But I would rate it better than the Super Sniper, Mid Range Leupolds, Buckmasters, etc..

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top