Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2005 2:51:24 AM EDT
So for Christmas the girlfriend let me get a few toys:

A.R.M.S. RAS II forearm
ARMS #40L BUIS
ARMS #22M68 w/ aimpoint m3

So I've heard from two different sources about loctite. One said that I should loctite at least the RAS and buis; the other said loctite screws stuff up and I shouldn't bother. Whats the consensus about use of loctite?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:35:21 AM EDT
[#1]
You are not even married and she is telling you what you can buy??

Anywho, I use a dap of blue on things not meant to come off without intent.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:23:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I know, I'm so whipped... Anyone else have experience?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:48:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Experience with being whipped or with loctite?

I concur with the reocmmendation for a little touch of blue loctite for small (<1/4")screws that are not removed regularly.

About being whipped I can only offer this advice: It is both easier and better to get forgiveness than permission...."easier" because she usually won't remember the last time you needed forgiving, "better" because you can't find most A.R.M.S. products in any bar in town, unlike a ready and willing replacement for anything she comes equipped with.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:19:36 PM EDT
[#4]

If you are going to war, loctite it.

If you are going to shoot 1,000 rds FA this weekend, locktite it.

If you only shoot a couple hundred rounds at a time and check screws for tightness once in a while you should be fine.

If you plan on changing optics once in a while that loctite is a mess to deal with. I've tired of it and have yet to have anything get loose yet. If something does prove to be a problem it's easy enough to add loctite to it later.

A cheaply made mount it may require loctite and a bit of luck to stay on, but that's another story.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top