Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2005 8:36:05 PM EDT
What are your thoughts on the Advantages/Disadvantages with the EoTechs? compared to the other optics out there? (price, durability, relialiabity? etc?)
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:28:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought a Rev. C. model that had been dragged through Iraq and Afghanastan (sp?).
It looked rough, but worked fine for me.
I don't think you'll have any gripes about reliability or ruggedness.

They are comparable to an Aimpoint in price, ($350 - 500), and are arguably as rugged as the Aimpoint.
The Aimpoint wins in the battery department with 10,000 or more hours on a set of batteries, vs. the 1000 hours on the AA version of the Eotech.

The Eotech will shut off after 4 hours or 8 hours.
If you leave it on accidentally, this is an advantage.
If you're sighted on a bad guy, or game animal, it's a disadvantage.

Since the Eotech doesn't need a mount if putting on a flattop, or a Killflash device, I would consider it a slightly better value for the dollar.
But, if you were heading out, and didn't know how long it would be before you would be able to get more batteries, the Aimpoint would look good.

The Aimpoint and other sights have  a cooler "look". I've seen the Eotech described as a Clown Shoe.

And, you have to decide which type of reticle you prefer.
With an Aimpoint, and the cheaper dot sights, all you get is a dot.
For most users, that's fine.
With the Eotech, you get a cool circle, with a tiny dot in the middle.

The Eotech is designed for Military/ Law Enforcement use, so it will probably stand up to anything you throw at it.

I just sold my older AA Eotech on the EE, because I (mistakenly) thought I could get the smaller N battery version for $250.
Now, I'm torn between getting another Eotech, or going with a Burris or Aimpoint.

I'm sure either one will rock!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:57:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I was a long time EOTech user who just recently went with Aimpoint’s on both my carbine and M4. Don’t get me wrong, the EOTech is a fine optic and it NEVER let me down. I originally bought the EOTech over the Aimpoint because of a shortage of funds and the fact that the EOTech does not need an extra mount, but it always bugged me that I did not buy what I REALLY wanted, so as funds became available I sold the EOTech and went with Aimpoint……..not once, but twice!

Your on the right track by asking questions, research and go with the optic you really want.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:38:48 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks for all the input you guys are giving me.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:48:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Eotech kicks some serious ass. Maybe this is why they are rapidly over taking  Aimpoint in the military, LE, and civilian sectors. FMJs
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:09:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Advantages of EOTech:
1) Will work with a damaged/broken display (other units will not).
2) Uses commonly available AA batteries (with the 5x2 models)
3) Can use rechargeable batteries (5x2 models)
4) Built in mount (saves $$)
5) More of an open design
6) 1 moa center dot for precision/ with a 65moa ring for close up CQB speed
7) can flip between NVG setting and visible setting at the touch of a button (good for Mil - kinda useless for civies)
8) Under typical use it does not have a foward visible indicator

Disadvantages:
1) Shorter battery life compared with Aimpoint
2) 5x1 models still have short life & use a harder to find battery (with no lithium option)
3) Weight & Length is greated compared to the Aimpoint (5x2 series)
4) Slower to change intensity (compared with Aimpoint)

Can go Either way
1) Mounted height is for absolute cowitness - if you're like me and want lower 1/3 cowitness you'll need to buy a mount (which means you're in the same boat as the Aimpoint crew which always needs to buy a mount).
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:45:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Eotech kicks some serious ass. Maybe this is why they are rapidly over taking  Aimpoint in the military, LE, and civilian sectors. FMJs

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:30:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I owned a EOTech 551 for about a year, and decided to go that route for the same reasons QUIB stated about it having a built in mount, and less expensive than Aimpoint/Mount combo. I loved the reticle at first, but after mounting it on my carbine, and actually shooting it for a year, I realized I disliked two things:
1. Reticle was sitting directly on top of the front sight post, and no matter how much "focus on target, not on FS" I tried, it was very distracting.
2. The reticle was much too busy for me with the 65MOA outer ring. I missed a simple red dot I was used to on my pistol.

I even bought a RRA EO mount with built in BUIS to move the EO up and make the irons lower, but it floated above the receiver rail with no clamp at the front (only in the back) and the up/down movement and gap at the front made me distrust the mount as a viable, repeatable platform that would stay zeroed.  So, I sold my EO, EO mount on EE and bought an Aimpoint, and mount. Simple works for me.

To his credit, LaRue's great design of his EO mount locks in front, and back, and is said to return to zero when R&R'd. Although the $120 for that mount, along with the $350 for the EO would put you on even ground with an Aimpoint & mount from ARMS, LaRue, etc.

YMMV. Good Luck.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:02:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Eotech mounting works great on AR flatop, however, for HKs there is/was no way to mount the Eotech so would co-witness, however, since this is AR15.com, will assume this is not an issue.

The large outer ring on the Eotech can work for a fast aimping point at close range, say under 25 yards (65 MOA = 16.25 inches at 25 yards).  At farther distances (100 yards plus) the 1 MOA dot of the Eotech works a little nicer than the 4 MOA Aimpoint dot.  Some place in between I like the Aimpoint better (brighter dot and cleaner dot ;-).

Would try both first, some guys do not like the square window and/or the Eotech "dot" and "ring" being made of many little points.  While other's like the Eotech finen.  Other optionj is buy both ;-).
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:05:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Please...  Try both the aimpoint and eotech before you buy.

I bought an eotech....

When i used it... i had problems.  I guess the reticle was too cluttered and confusing for my brain.  When i looked through the window with both eyes open... i saw 2 circles slightly apart and a dot in the middle.

When I looked through it with one eye closed, i only saw one circle and one dot.

I couldn't stand it and i sold it.

I even emailed Eotech asking if the reticle could be changed to just a 1 moa dot, but i never got a reply back.

Based on personal experience, i like the simplicity of just ONE dot, in the middle.

have a good one
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:38:07 AM EDT
[#10]
At first I hated my Eotech, I had it directly on my flattop.  The FSB kept getting in the way and I just could not sight it in.  Then I got a YHM riser for it and I was able to sight it in with just a few rounds and now I like it.  Maybe it was just me, but I think if you go the Eotech route get a riser.  Just my .02.

Mike
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top