Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2005 7:48:51 PM EDT
With normal Iron sights the distance the front sight is from your eye the less the sight will cover - smaller MOA.  Does the same apply to red dot sights or does the dot size increase the further it is from your eye thus continuing to cover the same MOA?

If you don't know don't guess!
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#1]
It would depend on the intensity of your light setting. For me, the higher the intensity, the more the PERCIEVED area the dot covers (in relation to the target).

To answer your question IMO, if your setting / light intensity is constant, then it works pretty much the same as your irons. The farther away the dot, the less area it covers in relation to the target.

BUT THE DIFFERENCE IS VERY MINIMAL WITH A DOT. It is almost unnoticeable.

Again ... thats MHO.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 10:31:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I have used a dot sight for two years and have never noticed a difference in size, whether it was mounted fore or aft on my weapon. Brightness has MUCH more to do with the apparent size of the dot.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:58:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Distance fore and aft of the dot sight has no impact on its size relative to target.  It defys physics for it to change size when mounted more forward or rearward.  The amount of difference, due to the inital emitter size is so small you cant measure it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 9:17:08 PM EDT
[#4]
so if your eye is 10 feet away from the sight the red dot would either not be visible (too far) or it would look very large relative to the size of the sight itself?  since this is the only way the red dot would cover the same MOA regardless of distance from eye.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:18:12 AM EDT
[#5]
With an EOTech, the reticle always appears the same size, no matter how far away the actual site is.

At 5" the reticle looks really small in the screen.

at 6' the reticle fills the screen, but is still the same size (to your eye) as when it was only inches from your face.

Kinda hard to explain, but very obvious when you play with one long enough.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:49:59 PM EDT
[#6]
well then that settles it
kind of disappointing because i wanted to mount it more forward for the purpose of getting the dot to be a smaller MOA but I now know that won't have the intended effect.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 12:55:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
well then that settles it
kind of disappointing because i wanted to mount it more forward for the purpose of getting the dot to be a smaller MOA but I now know that won't have the intended effect.

think of it this way. It covers (say) 4 MOA. 4 MOA is distance invariant. If you put a dime at arm's length, it may cover 4 MOA. If it was 20 feet away, it would cover (say) .5 MOA.

Since the dot covers 4 MOA, no matter where the sight is, it covers the same area.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:56:56 AM EDT
[#8]
you move it forward to make it easier to aim with both eyes and get better vision of what is happenign around you.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 1:08:39 PM EDT
[#9]
It's all personal preference.  I run my EOT as close to my eye as possible, giving me the largest field of veiw, and damn near eliminating a side view of the shroud.  And to reaffirm some of the above posts, a 2 MOA dot will always be a 2 MOA dot whether its 1" from your eye, or 12"; at least on the EOT.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top