User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2005 9:25:12 PM EDT
What are your thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:46:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a 6x24 BSA that I use to do preliminary accuracy testing when I don't have the scope that i really want for the rifle. The optics aren't real bad, actually pretty good for a low end scope. The clicks on it are useless. You cannot count off clicks to zero it. If you don't plan on adjusting for range correction it will work. In my opinion save for something better. My personal favorites are Sightron. The clicks on those are on the money and the optics are great.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:08:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Save your money.  You'll thank me later......
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:05:41 AM EDT
[#3]
BSA makes a couple of scopes that people seem to like...the Sweet 17 among them.  I know a guy who has a couple of other models, and I see him at the range with one on his .223 all the time.  I asked him about it, and he said he's never had any problems.  

I had a 36x Platinum that was pretty useless...expecting clarity and brightness out of that powerful a scope at that price was pretty dumb on my part.  

There are much better scopes out there than BSA, and not all of them cost $800.  If you insist on keeping the upper magnification at 20x, you won't have too many choices for a *good* scope at a reasonable price....Meuller and/or Swift come to mind, but even with them, you're looking at spending $200.  

In your case, the admonition to save for something better is well mentioned.  

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:21:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I hesitate even mentioning this because I hate Simmons, at least the older Simmons. Anyway they have a new Master Series that the claim tracks properly. Have no idea how the optics are on these or if their claims are true. I think that for the power range your looking for it is $200 or a little better. Meade Industries has acquired Simmons and Redfield so I would hope things are better than before. Who knows maybe one of these days I'll break down and try one.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:22:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Tried a BSA 6-24x50. Great for punching paper, but horrible for any hunting, etc. I don't even know if it maintained zero between shooting sessions. The magnification is nice; the optics are not. Save your money and get a leupold. You won't have any problems.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:59:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top