Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2005 7:45:48 PM EDT
I see PVS-14's everywhere with a wide variety of prices.

Is there a difference in the Military vs civillian versions  (Accessories is obvious the civilian version will not have helmet mounts and such)

My question is there just as many accessories available for the civillian version or will all the military goodies fit the civillian version

I see things like protective lenses, dermist lens, camera adapters, zoom lens adaptors etc etc etc

Where do I look for one stop shooping on this unit.  If Im going to spend that kind of money  I would rather spend a little more to guarantee a newer more capable unit with no tube problems with an included case to carry it in. and a source for accessories.

also whats the difference in the pvs-14d vs pvs-14
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:47:25 AM EDT
[#1]
There is a military and civillian version of the AN/PVS-14 although it isn't what you might think. Military pvs-14s are always adjstable gain and typicaly have nicer tubes (due to contract specs, but not always, some civi systems have damn nice tubes). Oh, and they are marked "US property" on the housing. That being said, you can buy a PVS-14 that is exactly the same as the military versions in preformace. Finding a unit with adjustable gain and a nice tube is not too hard. Even finding a housing with "US property" on it can be done, although I would NOT recommend it. All PVS-14 accesories that fit a Military PVS-14 will fit a civiy one. Even the head mount. The only differance I can think about is in the headmounts. Both look the same but the military mount is wired so that when you remove the unit from the face mask or flip up your helmet mount it turns off. You can use this adapter on your civiy unit, but unless the body has the connections for it it won't work. You can find a good unit here on Equipment exchange or at www.usnightvision.com. I am shopping for a unit as well, once I get the money together....

D vs Regular 14, D will have a nicer tube, omni 4 or 5 at least.  There is also a AN/PVS-14A, which is a PVS 14 with a few improvements, 1. takes one AA batt. 2. redesigned lanyard ring, and that's all I rememeber off the top of my head.

Good luck,

mrf2
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:18:58 PM EDT
[#2]
anyone else?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:09:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top