Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2005 1:25:41 PM EDT
My new LARUE SPR base is mounted on my new Colt Tactical 6721. The scope is fully maxed out for down elevation, and is shooting an 1 1/2" high at 50 yards, and higher then that at 100 yards .

It seems a Larue base is one solid machined block of metal with no available adjustments. If the rings were like many sporting rings that have top and bottom halves then I'd put a shim in the back ring. But these rings have right and left sides, and I can't see how to apply a shim.

Anybody had this problem? I can use your input as to what  you think I might do, as I'm not sure if the problem rests exclusively with the scope or what.

EDIT: THE LARUE BASE IS A WELL DESIGNED DEVICE, AND GRANT WHO SOLD IT TO ME IS A GREAT GUY TO DO BUSINESS WITH. THE PROBLEM IS WITH THE ELEVATION BIAS BUILT INTO MY SCOPE.  I have followed the suggestion mentioned on this thread to change the title here, and not imply a problem with the Laure base. I am infact very pleased with this product.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:36:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Aim lower

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:43:32 PM EDT
[#2]
IIRC the SPR puts the scope 10 MOA down with no adjustment. I set my adjustment at zero when I sighted mine in and it was about an inch low at the initial shot. Sounds like you might have the scope mounted backwards. The QDs should be on the left side of the rail and the overhang pointing forward.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:05:32 PM EDT
[#3]
What scope is it?

Are you putting the mount on backwards?

Have you tried with a different scope, or mount?

If anything strange when you sight in some BUIS?

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:09:56 PM EDT
[#4]
LaRue mount on your rifle has a build in MOA drop much in line with the scope mount you find on precision rifle.  you need to get a std LaRue mount.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:39:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I mounted the base with the Levers to the left as it should be.( It would probably be hard to mount the base backwards , as the scope placement and eye relief would likely be real screwy)

HOWEVER, LARUE TOLD ME A FEW WEEKS BACK WHEN I SPOKE TO THEM ABOUT BUYING IT, THAT THEY ARE NO LONGER PRODUCING THE DOWNWARD ANGLE IN THEIR SPR THAT YOU GUYS ARE REFERRING TO.

This base is one of the very newer ones I bought a month ago when they started putting the lock on it. (and does not have the 10 MOA drop built in) Makes me wonder now if the older style with the built in 10 MOA drop in it was made like that for good reason?????

The ARMS BUIS 40L SP is working fine for me. Haven't tried a different scope yet, but wanted to see if anybody eldse had this problem WITH THESE NEWER bases that don't have the built in drop, before I went changing out the scope.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:42:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I've never had a problem with 10MOA incline.  Most scopes have over 50MOA elevation adjustment, which would accomodate 25MOA incline if everything else was lined up right.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:32:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Zak,

If you promise not to laugh, I'll let you in on what scope I'm using; It's a 2X-7X Beeman "Blue Ribbon" scope that was intended for air rifles. As you know, the main difference between air rifle scopes and regular scopes is that air rifle scope lens is reinforced to withstand the backward and forward recoil/vibration of  the powerfull spring in air rifles that would soon rattle any other scope's internals loose. (Even top quality Leupolds)

I bought this scope about 20 years ago. It was not a cheap scope back then at $170.  This scope is made in Japan, has parralex adjustment which I like on my scopes, and the 2X-7X variable magnification is a good all purpose scope for a flat top Colt. It also allows room for my ARMS BUIS.

If the scope is to blame, I wouldn't mind having the elevation adjustment professionally fixed for more drop if it can be done. I don't know who manufactured these scopes.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:21:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:22:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:05:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I can't believe you are running a air rifle scope on a Larue SPR.

Stop that...or Mark will have to send the boys round and take back the SPR on grounds of cruelty.

A spanky new LT SPR and 20-yr old air rifle scaope. Which one would you wonder about FIRST????

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#11]
If you wanna sell that LaRue mount, you let me know.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:28:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Hello Grant,

Well, I went and dragged my butt into the attic looking for the original box and instructions that came with this Beeman scope 22 years ago.

YOU'RE RIGHT....THE INSTRUCTIONS STATE THAT THE SCOPE IS PURPOSELY CALIBRATED FOR "ELEVATION BIAS".

I thought I'd save me a few bucks by utilizing this good quality scope I had on hand already.
It had all the features I desired and was shopping for; low CQC style 2X magnification, adjustable parrelex, matt black finish, and a small enough bell that just fits above the ARMS 40L BUIS.  

Anyway, I'm enjoying this Larue base and ARMS 40L I got from you. It sure is neat being able to snap that Larue base on and off the rifle to alternate between the scope and the BUIS without losing POI.  

EDIT... Simon Tan; You mean that this Beeeman "BB gun" scope is no different then the same shitload of $19.99  Bushnell, Simmons, and BSA, scopes that are packaged in celophane and hanging on the racks at Walmart, or Gander Mountain today? I guess Beeman must have lied when he sold it as also being a suitable choice for centerfire rifles as well. Stupid me.  I paid $170 for it some 22 years ago. What a sucker I was. I could of bought me a 4X  Tasco  for $12.99 at Woolco and had enough money left over to buy me a fish tank full of BB's.

Funny though, how guys on the Air Gun Forums talk about the reticle on their Night Force, or Leupold scopes breaking loose with their $800 European B.B rifles after a couple of hundred shots.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:58:36 PM EDT
[#13]
The scope appears to have been the problem, no? I must assume you have never shot it on anything but an air rifle otherwise you wouldn't have raised the matter to begin with.

You certainly spend enough time and effort to find out that the current SPRs have no incline BUT you didn't make sure the AIR RIFLE scope you were proposing to use in the spanky new mount was calibrated for the intended purpose. You put the cart before the horse on this one so don't get defensive when I muse aloud about your judgement.

You'd better go down to KMart and pick up a NCStar now.

Simon
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:10:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:06:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:51:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:43:21 PM EDT
[#17]
It should be...."Why you shouldn't use a air rifle scope on an AR. " or "No amount of HSLD can make up for......." or "Before you decide to buy a funky throw lever mount.......".

The implication was that somehow the SPR was to blame and not user ignorance.

Simon
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:26:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
NOW THAT YOUR PROBLEM HAS BEEN ADDRESSED, I SUGGEST YOU CONSIDER REWORDING THE TITLE OF YOUR POST.

I CAN THINK OF SEVERAL POSSIBILITIES, OFFHAND. I AM SURE MARK LARUE COULD, TOO.

WES GRANT
M.S.T.N.
LARUE DEALER

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top