Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2005 9:44:34 PM EDT
Looking for the best general purpose binoc.  Pretty much decided on Steiner for the money but open to suggestions.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:21:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't get the steiner! There's a lot better glass for the money.  Check out the zeiss.  Unfortunatly, the more money you spend on Binos, the happer you will be, because you will use them more often.  A few years ago I sprung for some Lecias,  if I lost them tomorrow, I would have to replace them.  They are that good.  Also look at some pentax, awesome bang for the buck!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:04:55 AM EDT
[#2]
What, what's wrong with Steiners?  I have a pair of 10x50mm Military with range finder, they're rugged, clear and bright, they're probably not as good as something that cost 4 times as much, but I wouldn't call a $500 pair of binocs crap
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:10:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I've used some 20x80 steiner binos and I was quite impressed.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:17:12 AM EDT
[#4]
huck doesn't like Steiners, but recommends Pentax?
haveThe only binos that are significantly better are the Swarovski.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:23:17 AM EDT
[#5]
tagged because I need some
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:04:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:54:59 AM EDT
[#7]
do yourself a favor and go somewhere where you can actually compare them for yourself.
then you can make the price/performance decision that best meets your needs.
Bass Pro has a lot of binoc in stock.
You can also usually find someone with a good selection at a gun show, and the light is usually so bad that it makes for a good environment to compare low light performance.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:17:53 PM EDT
[#8]
i've been on a buying spree lately and was in the market for a pair of rangefinding binocs.  i ran across this page and noticed the optics test pattern that can be used.  check these out.  a guy can print this off, take it to a retailer and check out the optics for himself.  i think this is the route i'll go.  i suppose i'd be wise to bounce off any of my top choices and see what kind of feedback i get.

check this out.  it might help.

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?tid=446

-michael

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:51:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I was hoping to find the pattern I could print.....the thread talks about Help select a Silhouette scope
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:24:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I was hoping to find the pattern I could print.....the thread talks about Help select a Silhouette scopehinking.gif

this is the link provided on the page i copied onto my post.  it's one of the files attached to the posts on the page i viewed.  

http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/USAF.pdf

you should be able to print it.  all the attachments are printable on the page i was able to view.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:04:05 PM EDT
[#11]
sorry i swear i copied and pasted twice but i got the rifle scope range, now if I do it it's showing the patterns
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:55:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I have an old pair of rubber armored 7x35 Leitz Trinovids.  You can get them at a reasonable price on optics auction sites.  VERY good value if they are a lil used and not being bid on by collectors.

Leitz = Leica BTW
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:01:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Steiner 8x30 Predator here. Very light,good price and a very good bino for the money.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:11:42 PM EDT
[#14]
there was an interesting article in the September issue of American Rifleman by Bill McRae, "How Sharp Is Sharp?" that discusses why to invest in good glass.  It seems that the USAF developed a test target in 1951 to check the resolution of it's aerial cameras http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlinecatalog/DisplayProduct.cfm?productid=1790

A lower power bino with better resolution will outperform a higher power bino with glass of lesser resolution.

I am looking at the Merlin series from Steiner but haven't made the trip to the store to actually check them out.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:30:22 AM EDT
[#15]
now that we've found and posted the link to this "1951" test pattern to be used for comparing optics quality, let's have some feedback on how it works.  i'm planning on using it in the short term.  

i'd encourage anyone to post their experience with this thing or the Zeiss Test Pattern.  maybe we can cut through some of the sales spin from the manufacturers and "see" for ourselves...  (bad pun - sorry)

when it comes to rifles i have a fair grasp on what is and isn't.  i can't say that for the many optics out there and i know i can use some feedback and help.

-mikes

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:27:39 PM EDT
[#16]
When I bought the Lecias I tested them against zeiss, Swarovski, stiener and  Leopold.  The reason that I said don't get the steiner is because I feel like that there are better binos for the money.  Particularly the pentax and the american ziess.  The best thing to do is to go somewhere where they have a bunch of binos in stock and play with all of them in your price range.  If possible get somewhere with low light. Also check for sharpness and color transmission, don't hesitate to adjust them for your eyes so you can see how they will really be when you own them.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:18:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I was looking for good pair of Binoculars under $400 about a year and half ago and went to try the Steiner 8x30 Military's. They were terrible. The images were not clear and they had short eye relief. I tried several others brands and ended up getting the Pentax 8x42 DCF/WP's, they were incredible. Everyone I have shown them to comments on how clear they are.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:27:50 PM EDT
[#18]
"General purpose use" is pretty broad... if you can narrow down how you intend to use them most of the time, it will help you make the best choice for you.  Regardless, look at the binos, not the name.  My experience has been that Leitz & Zeiss are top tier.  Swarovski too. Steiners have a good rep; they are rugged and most are good quality, but IMNSHO, many are overrated/overpriced.  Pentax and Nikon both make very good glass that is as good or better than anyone's at their price point.   And BTW, if you plan on getting a "pre-focused" model, get something cheap and don't waste your money.    
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:33:36 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a pair of the predator 8x30's, and have been very happy with them.  They have taken a lot of abuse, and still work great.  I also have some of the compacts that are totally satisfactory and perform well.  I bought the Steiners because I used them in the military, and thought they were very good optically, and very durable (we abused them - they didn't belong to us, you know).  I don;t think you can go wrong with Steiner.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:37:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Check the DRMO, The Steiner M22 Bino's have been showing up there once in a while
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:51:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I got the Steiner 8X30 Predator binos for a Mule deer/Elk hunt in 1999. I have found them to a good set of glass for the money. At the time I got mine I paid $229 . I have looked through a lot of 8X30 binos and unless they read Zeiss, Swarovski, or Leica I think the Steiners will hang right with them.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#22]
IOR's 7x40 will be under 400 bucks and be the best all around binocular you will ever own.

IOR's can only be compared to the leica's. BUT, You dont have to pay the price.

The 7x40's are different altogether anyway....The light transmission is 99.9%!!!!! And in that price range are NUMERO UNO, KING HUNCHO, Whatever. The other good thing is you do not have to baby them like a Leica, I mean, If i pay 1000 bucks I am going to think twice about it, WITH THE IOR's you still are getting The best in the world and you can drag them through...whatever!!

The difference is IMMEADIATE next to a Steiner, Check them out.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:51:43 PM EDT
[#23]
IOR Valdada
Excellent product
European Quality
Excellent Reviews
and a Great Value!

http://www.valdada.com

myit
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top