Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2005 8:12:14 PM EDT
I have an eotech on a 16" wilson chrome lined barrel........at 100 yrds I am all over the target.  now i am just learning how to really shot.  I know eotech are for more tactical ranges but i was just curious what is a respectable grouping at 100 yrd with a configuration like this

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#1]
2 or three inches. Some guys can shoot 1moa w/ an eotech. They aren't bad at all for precision shooting with the 1moa center dot.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:01:48 PM EDT
[#2]
about 1.5" to 2" but only after a lot of practice!!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:06:54 PM EDT
[#3]
If I have good glass I can do the 2 inch thing but with the Aimpoint Im all over the place also.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:11:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If I have good glass I can do the 2 inch thing but with the Aimpoint Im all over the place also.

The aimpoints dot is 4moa so it makes precise shooting harder at 100 yards. The 1moa dot makes it much easier. I am minute of dead w/ an aimpoint at 100 but easlily 2 or 3 moa or better  w/ an Eotech. That being said I prefer the aimpoint.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:32:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a M3 aimpoint with NV option. I think mine is a 2 MOA. Maybe or is it? I think its me but I might try a Eo thingy.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:48:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Let me try and help a bit.

In order to gage teh inherent accuracy you need a target that is about three times the size of your reticle.  So, your EOTech has a 1MOA dot, get a 3" black disk to aim at.  

This will allow you to gage relativetively small movements of the firearm against that small target.  When lined up properly, the red dot is centered on a small black ring.  When it is not centered (pulse beat, jerking trigger, etc) you will know which way it moved.

Give it a try - "Aim small, miss small".
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:40:46 AM EDT
[#7]
A lot of first time EOTech users don't mount the EOTech properly and if it's too loose it will change POI everytime it gets shook up by the recoil.

Make sure the EOTech is mounted properly.
1. Push forward on it as you tighten up the mounting thumb screw.
2. Get it hand tight plus 1/4-1/2 turn with a quarter.  
3. If you really want to make sure it stays put some blue loc-tite won't hurt.
4. Shoot with both eyes open.
5. Focus on the target not the reticle.
6. The 65 MOA ring is for CQB so it's okay if it's a bit fuzzy.  Use it like a big ghost ring for close in shooting.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:41:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:27:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
A lot of first time EOTech users don't mount the EOTech properly and if it's too loose it will change POI everytime it gets shook up by the recoil.

3. If you really want to make sure it stays put some blue loc-tite won't hurt.hoot5. Focus on the target not the reticle.
6. The 65 MOA ring is for CQB so it's okay if it's a bit fuzzy.  Use it like a big ghost ring for close in shooting.

I normally shoot with both eyes opened at close ranges, but at 100 yards and further I usually close my weak eye.

Will keeping both eyes open help at further distance?  I always thought it was just for target recognition.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:41:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:34:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Both eyes---every time, all the time.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:54:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:18:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If using iron sights or magnified precision optics I focus on the front sight or reticle for non-magnfied redot's sights I focus on the target.  

I use the red dot reticles like a laser that's projected on the target.

It works great for me gives me fast target aquisition while also allowing me to keep my focus the threat.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:23:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I too close my weak eye on longer shots, but even so I no where come close to 1 or 2 inch groups, head shots are a easy  deal.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:07:59 PM EDT
[#15]
try doing it at night...... with a red dot optic. not practical at all. take a night class and you'll see why.

meat
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:20:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
try doing it at night...... with a red dot optic. not practical at all. take a night class and you'll see why.

meat

What are you talking about and who are responding to?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:18:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks guys for all the input .....well my sight is on properly....I had a real marksman check it.  I just wanted to see how far off from the norm i was with my 10 to 12 MOA.  Thanks again for the help i think im doing pretty alright for only really shooting for not even a month.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:20:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I shoot both eyes open all the time with a dot.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:16:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:32:37 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

meat

I have quite successfully used my EoTech and Surefire-equipped AR to take a few hogs and an unfortunate rabbit at night, so I don't understand what you mean by that.

I got the rabbit at about 50 yards, and only IDed it with the reflection of the eyes.  That was a seriously lucky shot.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:49:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Your target could look like this:

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:26:25 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

With irons yes, but with red-dots (particularly the EOTech) they allow you to focus on the target (threat) and the dot will be superimposed on the target - like they are both in the same plane.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:28:16 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

meat

?? Meat I don't understand your comment.  Are you saying it's better to use both eyes at night, and it's not practical to use a single eye at night with a red-dot?

If so I'll agree, using both eyes at night makes it MUCH easier.  Using a red-dot makes it easier still.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:12:33 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

With irons yes, but with red-dots (particularly the EOTech) they allow you to focus on the target (threat) and the dot will be superimposed on the target - like they are both in the same plane.  

And used properly thats great. Problem is, people get to looking at the target and pull the trigger while the dot is improperly aligned. That makes it less accurate under time or combat stress. Also, when firing rapily or on auto, looking at the dot tends to keep the rounds close together. I didn't believe it till I saw it, and saw how much that technique improved my shooting.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:31:50 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

And used properly thats great. Problem is, people get to looking at the target and pull the trigger while the dot is improperly aligned. That makes it less accurate under time or combat stress. Also, when firing rapily or on auto, looking at the dot tends to keep the rounds close together. I didn't believe it till I saw it, and saw how much that technique improved my shooting.

It all comes down to training properly.  Just because you're focusing on the target doesn't mean you can get sloppy and yank the trigger without seeing the reticle on the target.  

I'm not saying to look at the target and disregard the reticle but rather, as I mentioned above, use the red dot reticle like it was a laser projected on the target.  As Forest also mentioned the EOTech reticle and target will appear to be on the same plane.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:04:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I just got my EOTech and replaced my 6920's carry handle with it.  I'm still waiting for my LaRue mount in another week so wasn't being real picky about wringing the best accuracy out of it, just couldn't wait another week to try it out.  So I took it to the range and zeroed it at 25 yds with 4 shots  (Wolf 62 gr HP) so poa = poi.  

Backed up to 100 yds and  switched to M855PD which had previously proven more accurate than the Wolf.   The 1 MOA dot seemed to cover all of the 4" black square (on 8.5 x 11" white paper).  Since I zeroed at 25 yds, and perhaps because I was using hotter ammo,  I was higher at 100 (understandable). However, the 'group" of about 20 shots was about 4".

Does anyone have any tips on how to get the most precision out of the 1" dot?  I'm thinking turn the brightness down to the lowest visible brightness so I can see what's "behind" it, e.g. 1" red do should have some of the 4" black square visible around it. Comments?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:32:15 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Does anyone have any tips on how to get the most precision out of the 1" dot?  I'm thinking turn the brightness down to the lowest visible brightness so I can see what's "behind" it, e.g. 1" red do should have some of the 4" black square visible around it. Comments?

Sounds like you've got the right idea.

When you really want to get precise with the 1 MOA dot turn down the brightness until the dot is barely visible but not too difficult to see.  After you play with it for awhile you'll find the sweet spot...
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:41:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Sh00ter,

20 shots into 4 inches at 100 yards is actually very good shooting with a dot sight; about as good as it's going to get given the ammo you mentioned and a standard barrel, you are close to the theoretical limits of accuracy possible from the combo.  See Old Painless's Box 'O Truth post.  Better glass, better trigger, target ammo and a good barrel will get you closer but without that, you aren't going to see much improvement.  I don't intend to disparage anyone elses accuracy claims but that sounds like a very realistic group.

I also don't think of dot sights as being all that precise.  Now I'm sure someone can tell me why but I do a little better with irons than with dot sights.  The dot sights are faster and I don't feel like I'm doing better with irons but when I take that walk of truth the groups are always about 25-30% smaller with irons.  Anyone else notice this?  Is there a reason?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:28:21 PM EDT
[#29]
My father-in-law has a shooting bench and a target 140 yds away.  I have shot my 11.5 inch upper with eotech and gotten pretty good groups, about 3 inches @ 140yds.

As someone else said, close your weak eye and put the dot right on target.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:04:49 AM EDT
[#30]

what is a respectable grouping at 100 yrd with a configuration like this

2-3 MOA (~2-3" groups @ 100yd) is respectable (& difficult to improve upon).  As you mentioned, accuracy at distance is not the EOTech's forte, but I am able to get tight 2MOA groups @ 100yd from a bench, with XM855PD ammo thru  carbines, weak eye shut, EOTech (552revF) dimmed until barely visible when really taking my time.  I can achieve about the same with both eyes open but staring down range 100yds at a 1MOA dot for extended sessions and things start to go soft/blurry (after-image, etc.,) ~ so I tend to revert to 'scope technique' quickly.  CQB scenarios with the EOTech are much more fun  (if I want long range accuracy I switch to my 338LapuMag w/USO SN3 lit reticle scope).

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:22:49 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I have an eotech on a 16" wilson chrome lined barrel........at 100 yrds I am all over the target.  now i am just learning how to really shot.  I know eotech are for more tactical ranges but i was just curious what is a respectable grouping at 100 yrd with a configuration like this

Thanks

I zeroed my first EOtech on a 16" colt LE carbine a few days ago.  I shot it off a bench (which I rarely do - not realistic).  At a little over 100 (106 actually), I was getting 1-1.5" 3 shot groups (was not shooting for groups, was shooting for zero, so only 3) with our issue BH 55gr SP ammo.  I was pleasantly surprised.  I turned the reticle down to where it was faint but visible - less flare from the center dot.  This helped me a lot.  Was also shooting a head-sized target, so I had target around the dot - easy to center.  I really like this rifle/optic setup, but you really have to concentrate on your shooting.  It was also weird looking at the target - which if you don't do, the reticle fuzzes out on me.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:40:41 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Sounds like you've got the right idea.

When you really want to get precise with the 1 MOA dot turn down the brightness until the dot is barely visible but not too difficult to see.  After you play with it for awhile you'll find the sweet spot...

Ditto on this, I do the exact same thing when shooting at 100 yards. It just makes it so much easier to keep your group together when dimmed. It makes it more of a translucent dot, so it's easier to see where I'm placing my shots.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top