Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2005 8:18:14 AM EDT
I would appreciate any advice / suggestions on how to setup the sighting system on my new AR-15.  It’s a flat-top Competition/Varmint design with free-float round forend.  The gas-block does have a rail to mount the iron front sight.

Well, here is what I am trying to do – I am looking strongly at a variable power mid-range scope such as Leupold Mark 4 1.5X-5X, or Horrus Vision 1X-4X.  I would also like to get a pair of iron sights that would mount to the front gas block and flat-top rail.  I would like to shoot with the scope sometimes and when desired, easily transition to iron sights.

Some of the things I’ve heard about are – 1.) Shoot or see – through scope rings that allow the use of iron sights without removal of the scope 2.) Quick detachable 1-piece ring mounts (LaRue) that can come right off and then use the iron sights.

Any specific ideas or pictures of current setups would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance for steering me in the right direction.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:37:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:38:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:00:37 AM EDT
[#3]
No such thing as see through scope rings for your application.  Are you wanting a detatchable fixed front or folding front?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:46:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Go with a flip-up front BUIS, as when using the scope at a higher magnification, you will not have any ghosting that occurs with a static front sight.  GG&G makes a great one, but a bit pricey, so I who suggest a Yankee Hill.

As for a rear BUIS, one determining factor is the size of the rear objective of the scope.  Smaller the profile of the BUIS the better obviously.  Knights 300M and 600M will do fine as well as the ARMS #40-L and Troy.  

Eye relief of the optic is another concern, so a mounting platform is of upmost importance.  Generally, Leupolds have very forgiving eye-releif so the scope will need to be mounted further forward than what the flattop can accommodate.  A cantilever design mounting solution would be your best bet.  Options are the LaRue or ARMS #35.  I would stay away from Armalite's unit as it weight entirely too much, but it is a stout piece of gear.

Lots of info avaialble, but typing with one hand has slowed me down .
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:46:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Bro here is the ultimate setup, well I thing anyway.

Mark 4 MR/T ILL from C&S and the SPR mount came from G&R tactical.

dcobra23
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:51:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:35:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got a 16" gun I built with an Accuoint 1.25x4 in a LaRue EER mount.  I have a Yankee Hill lightweight forend on there...with the little pop up sight that goes on the tube, and a 40L *right* benind the scope.  It's a very tight fit...the front sight barely clears the front of the scope on the way up, and the rear buis is right up close to the back of the scope.  I prefer a flip up front sight for use with low power scopes.

I have a similar setup on another rifle, but I'm using a YHM flip up sight/gas block for that one.  

The LaRue EER mount makes it easier to us a rear BUIS, since it moves the scope forward enough to accomodate one.

I don't know about the SPR mount, though...a 40L is probably too long to use with that.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top