Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2005 8:37:12 AM EDT

I rented this addictive semiauto Thompson clone at the range. It ate ammo like candy and was more fun than an M4. Now I must have one. But it sights through the charging handle on top of the receiver and covers too much of the target for my taste. It seems like a perfect candidate for an Aimpoint.

Does anyone make a good mount for it?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:38:16 PM EDT
[#1]
ok,,,as a thompson owner (the semi one) the sights,,,,,,SUCK!

(fwiw,,,,I have looked and looked at the AR uppers,,,,but wanted one in 45,,,,,,and just was not satisfied with most of the options,,,,,then the thompson showed up used,,,,,and at a price you go,,,oh why not,,,,,)

when I picked up mine,,,,ran out to the gravel pit,,,,,,and  couldnt hit a pop can at 20 feet with the as is sights,,,,,,,

well back to the house,,,the fit throwing process,a few beers,,,,,,stare at it,,,going I spent HOW much money on the this boat anchor!,,,,,anyway it took a week to settle down,,,,,,,

then I got thinking looking, looking and thinking,,,,,first off the rear sight assembly came off,(red locktite,warm the screws),,,,then a dupe  shroud got made, then in the center,,,,,a  williams peep got installed,,,then off to shoot it again,,,,,,

ok better sight picture,,,,hey I can hit a pop can,,,,but I had an occassional sound of the bullet whining and missing what I was aiming at,,,,,,a close look at the cutts on the end,,,,,,rub marks,,,,,,,ho kay,,,,,,took it off and machined off the cutts,(amazing how heavy that chunk is, and it does feel less barrel heavy with it off),,,and now its more like a M1 thompson style front sight,,,,,,then on the belt to take it down to more eye pleasing  size and conture,,,,,,

back out ,,,,you have to use the front sight for windage too, for when you are looking down through the charging handle,,,,,you have to find a balance of the front sight, and rear windage for a decent sight pic through the charging handle then you locktite everything down when you figure out what your doing,,,,,,with the charging handle there its like sighting down a channel,,,,,your eyes just center it all up,,pretty quick and easy once you shoot it a while

now with that done,,,,,,,this thing is a blast, shots at over 150yds, are easy off hand,,,minute of pop can on a pit wall,,,,,,

now, as to a mount,,,,,take a look at brownells piccitinny rail blanks they sell,,,,,mill it down and drill and tap the top of the thompson (I would look at forward of the charging handle),,then you can put anything you want on it,,,,,,but dang that thing is heavy enough with out putting more on the top,,,,,,,
but for a range toy,,,,,,,,it is fun,,,,,,,,

oh yeah also,,,,,be careful of smacking the charging handle open handed like in the movies,,,,,,it will rip  flesh better than fresh barbwire can,,,,

best regards
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:24:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

now, as to a mount,,,,,take a look at brownells piccitinny rail blanks they sell,,,,,mill it down and drill and tap the top of the thompson (I would look at forward of the charging handle),,then you can put anything you want on it,,,,,,but dang that thing is heavy enough with out putting more on the top,,,,,,,
but for a range toy,,,,,,,,it is fun,,,,,,,,

best regards

Now that sounds like a plan

I was thinking of the one with the charging handle on the right side, but if I install a rail blank I guess it does not matter. First good used 1927 I see in person is mine

Thanks for all the good info  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top