Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2005 5:35:23 AM EDT
Just got my FIRST AR, a Bushy flattop.  I am confused about the options for mounting a scope on this rifle.  Not too familiar with these things yet, so I need some help.

Can I buy rings to go directly onto the top of the receiver?  If so, which ones?  Don't look to me like Weaver rings will fit this thing?  If the rings fit directly to the receiver, will the scope be at a comfortable height, or is it better to buy a mounting system to elevate it?  I have no intentions of using any type of iron sights.

Also......do I need to be aware of any eye-relief problems that will occur that aren't applicable with a "conventional" rifle?

Thanks Fellows!
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 5:45:57 AM EDT
[#1]

I would suggest a one-piece mount...I have the ARmalite version and it is very solid.  It mounts the scope a little on the low side but I like it that height.  You can use standard rings but the one-piece is a little simpler IMHO.

Eye relief is just like any other rifle unless the scope you choose has an unusually long eye relief.  You may have to look into one of the offset mounts.  

Check out Larue Tactical for some good mounting options as well as A.R.M.S. mounts.

Be careful BRD (Black Rifle Disease) is deadly...on your bank account.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 5:46:01 AM EDT
[#2]
You may need to move the scope forward with a Larue SPR type mount or an Armailte mount or put one ring on a railed handguard and one on the upper.  You will not need a riser for most applications as there are plenty of different ring heights.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:14:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I just ordered a set of Warne Maxima Tactical rings from Brownells.  Hope I didn't screw up......

Opinions??  
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:47:17 AM EDT
[#4]
The Ultra High Warne rings work.  You will not have much eye relief though.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:55:18 AM EDT
[#5]
depending on what scope your getting you will have to consider either some sort of forward canted mount or a rail extender and rings

if you have no issues with eye relief than you should be good to go with some ultra high rings.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 9:25:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 9:36:06 AM EDT
[#7]
You can't go wrong with the Larue SPR mount, it comes in 30MM or 1 inch.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 11:36:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The Ultra High Warne rings work.  You will not have much eye relief though.

I ordered the MEDUIM height rings.  Will these be OK?  I have a 44 objective scope.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 1:29:17 PM EDT
[#9]
You may be O.K. A swan sleve or GGG scout rail will add  .5" and put it in the ballpark. It will also, undoubtably allow needed foreward positioning. Not a bad mistake if you use them with a one of the rails or spacer blocks. Brownell's will trade em in al;so if you decide that it is a mistake. When the rings come, you will see.
My next mount will be one piece for dedicated optics rig.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 2:02:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I ordered the MEDUIM height rings.  Will these be OK?  I have a 44 objective scope.

Let us know - you already pulled the trigger, so our advise is meaningless at this point.

#1 -  LaRue SPR

#2 - Armalite

#3 - well, most of the rest of the options don't work real well
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:14:41 AM EDT
[#11]
The Warne rings are fine, as far as the quality goes.  I have a couple of sets.  

It's hard for us to know if they'll work, since we don't know what scope you have.  It will depend on the size of the scope/tube, whether or not those rings will raise it up enough so that it doesn't hit the handguards.   I can almost quaranty you they won't be high enough for any BUIS, though.  Even the high Warne rings aren't that high.  As you mentioned *not* using iron sights, this shouldn't be a problem either (I just mentioned it for fyi down the road).  

Eye relief shouldn't be a problem, just don't expect to be able to go nose to charging handle unless you opt for a mounting solution that moves the scope forward.  That never bothered me, I don't ming having a cheek weld that puts my face away from the charging handle.  Obviously, this will vary with the amount of eye relief each particular scope needs.  

If the Warne rings don't work, you can try to sell them in the EE.  

A lot of folks around here like the ARMS rings, or the LaRue mounts.  That can get pricy, though...the ARMS mounts are around $100, and the LaRue is double that.  Both of these options provide a nice solid mount, that are easy to remove should you need to.  You might find down the road that you want a red dot/scope set up for that rifle, and the throw lever type mounts come in very handy for that.  

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:46:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Nibbler,

You had the same question I had. I just bought a LNIB Bushnell 3x9x40 and was curious as to how to mount it on a flattop Bushy myself. I know an Armalite dealer here and I think I will buy the Armalite mount from him or the B Square model from Del-Ton.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top