Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2005 5:25:37 PM EDT
Im looking to put together a complete Mil. Spec. M4 Carbine to practice with (I am entering an ROTC program at college next year). I was looking at the TA01NSN, but I just saw this new addition to the Trijicon line. Is this the military issue Trijicon? I know that many scopes in military hands are privately bought, but is this the quentissential Mil. Spec. Trijicon? Of course I am looking at the TA31RCO-M4.

http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=476

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 6:13:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Im looking to put together a complete Mil. Spec. M4 Carbine to practice with (I am entering an ROTC program at college next year). I was looking at the TA01NSN, but I just saw this new addition to the Trijicon line. Is this the military issue Trijicon? I know that many scopes in military hands are privately bought, but is this the quentissential Mil. Spec. Trijicon? Of course I am looking at the TA31RCO-M4.

http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=476

Thanks

If you want MilSpec on an M4 then get the TA31F. The RCO is being fielded on 20" rifles.

Link Posted: 3/9/2005 6:26:29 PM EDT
[#3]
What about the RCO-M4? Thats what I was lookin at.

- G
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 6:41:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 7:18:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

- G

Is there an M4 specific RCO? I'm only aware of the RCO calibrated for a 20" flat top.

Link Posted: 3/9/2005 7:21:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

- G

Is there an M4 specific RCO? I'm only aware of the RCO calibrated for a 20" flat top.

This is a quote from new-arguy on another thread:
"The RCO A4 is callibrated to be mounted on the flat top of an 20" barreled flat top, the RCO M4 is callibrated to be used mounted to the flat top of a 14.5" barrel."
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 7:23:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 7:40:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I had no idea. The Trijicon rep failed to mention it at the SHOT show.

Link Posted: 3/9/2005 9:41:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
[Heck, I have no idea when you might be able to find a TA31f (the closest substitute).

Am I reading the Adco optics page correctly that they have 'em in stock at around $960?

If I didn't already have a TA31F, I think I'd be all over that (or the military deal offered by NiceSHot)

Cheers, Otto
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 5:42:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Tag
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 7:23:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Im looking to put together a complete Mil. Spec. M4 Carbine to practice with (I am entering an ROTC program at college next year).

If you're entering Army ROTC odds are you will 'qualify' with M16A1s or M16A2s not the M4s.

If you simply must have an M4 for practice, then get a detachable carry handle.  An villiage idiot can shoot with an Aimpoint and qualify, but irons need to be mastered first.  Then once those are mastered get an Aimpoint or EOTech as you'll see far more of those on optic equipped M4s than magnified optics.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 7:48:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 8:24:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Learn irons, save money for pratice, you will not even go on active status for 4 1/2 of 5 years, then something better may be out.  I agree, scopes cover up poor shooting skills.  Plus, your job as a LT is not to shoot, but lead others.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 11:44:14 AM EDT
[#15]
True, true. In my current position I would benefit from having a stock "service rifle," and I know my primary job (in five or so years) wont be shooting. Its just that I looooove the M4. Ive had the exact amount for a Bushmaster saved up in a shoebox since i was sixteen. But yah, you guys are probably right. I better get what I really need, not what I want. And yes, as much as I hate to admit it, I really suck at anything involving iron right now. Oh well, practice makes perfect, and ill be getting plenty of that no matter what happens hanks

-G
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 5:34:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Make sure you get a flat top, and I'd go with the M4 profile, 1 good thing, by the time you get to an active duty unit in 4-5 years, they should all have optics as standard issue.  And by that time they may be better then whats out now, plus the way the military works, your unit may require you to carry the ones you are issued.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 10:31:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Time will tell, time will tell....

-G
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:15:29 AM EDT
[#18]
I think you are better off joining a local highpower league and shooting service rifle.  When I was in ROTC we had limited if any shooting opportunities.  I started off shooting service rifle HP and still enjoy it.  I am presently here in Iraq though so no time for HP practice.  The times we shot in ROTC was during our spring FTX and at Advanced Camp at Ft. Lewis.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:49:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Yah my cousin who just graduated from an NROTC (marine option) told me that there were few oppourtunities to shoot while in the program. Thus I came up with the notion of just buying a "service rifle" to become familiar with and that way have many more shooting oppourtunities. Anyways, I will be sure to find out about HP leagues to participate in, thats a really good idea.  How was your ROTC experience? How was it leading your first platoon? Im desperate for feedback from people who have actually gone through the process (my cousin became a pilot). Thanks alot!!

-G
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top