Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2005 1:30:39 PM EDT
Worth a damn?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:55:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Worth a damn?

You betcha. Very sturdy, simple, and low profile on the rail.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:04:14 PM EDT
[#2]
A damn, certainly, but not two .

The original had only a small aperture, which was OK for longer range but slow up close.  So they made it larger and included an instantly lost plastic insert for long range work.  It fits under a scope easily, but these days there are other choices that I like better - especially the Troy dual aperture.

If you can get one cheap, I'd say buy it, but if you are paying full retail look elsewhere...
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:46:14 AM EDT
[#3]
All of my flat tops have KAC 300m's that I bought off EE for less than $95.00, on average.  There was one last week for $65.00.  Wel worth it!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:26:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I have been seeing alot of these on the EE much cheaper than before. Is there anyway to tell the real KAC from Airsoft? Thanks. -Justin
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:00:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have been seeing alot of these on the EE much cheaper than before. Is there anyway to tell the real KAC from Airsoft? Thanks. -Justin

I am interested in this as well. Is there a direct copy of this particular sight? Pics?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:13:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Airsoft Star on top
KAC on bottom.

Looks like it would be fairly easy to see the diff.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:07:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks dude. -Justin
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:33:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't like it. The insert has no part number and is next to impossible to find replacements. It aslo falls out. Marines tape or glue it in, I am told. Also it isn't spring loaded, when it goes down it stays down.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:38:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I don't like it. The insert has no part number and is next to impossible to find replacements. It aslo falls out. Marines tape or glue it in, I am told. Also it isn't spring loaded, when it goes down it stays down.

Im sorry Combat_Jack, I am no longer  allowing any negative posts about this sight in my thread.
Please remove your comments immediately. Since I have one on the way, I ONLY want to hear how extremely BAD ASS this sight is and how lucky I am to be getting one.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:35:24 PM EDT
[#10]
It looks like I'm behind the times .  I actually prefer the KAC 300m for use on a carbine. It's light, simple and stays nicely tucked away until I need it. It’s got the lowest profile of any BUIS.   I could care less about the plastic aperture because I remove it anyway. In my opinion the 300m is one of the best BUIS available for a carbine.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:43:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It looks like I'm behind the times .  I actually prefer the KAC 300m for use on a carbine. It's light, simple and stays nicely tucked away until I need it. It’s got the lowest profile of any BUIS.   I could care less about the plastic aperture because I remove it anyway. In my opinion the 300m is one of the best BUIS available for a carbine.

Now thats what Im talking about. Post Approved!!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:45:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Im sorry Combat_Jack, I am no longer  allowing any negative posts about this sight in my thread.
Please remove your comments immediately. Since I have one on the way, I ONLY want to hear how extremely BAD ASS this sight is and how lucky I am to be getting one.

Lol, been reading my posts in the Berretta/USp thread lately?

It's decent. Not worth the money, IMHO, but some prefer it. The one place that it excels--its really flat, you can fit it under anything.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:56:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

1. Yes, we (KAC) has a Part Number for the aperture insert (just don't have it here at home on Sunday).

2. We sell replacements all the time.

3.  If it "falls out" its broke and should be replaced.  Working with units for over 8 years on this sight, this is the usual scenario.
a. Unit gets sights with Operator Manuals.  P/N for replacement aperture is clearly illustrated.
b. Manuals are either not read or are lost so the scond User nevers sees or reads it.
c. 25 meter zero is usually done with the aperture "in."
d.  Aperture is removed for subsequent OPS.
e. If User was originally instructed on proper removale procedure, he only remembers the second step using the pint of a cartridge or ball point pen.
Tha is to say, Step One: press the front edges of the four prongs that stick out to the front of the aperture against a flat object (a cartridge case head will do).  Often the Instructor does this using the table top he is standing behind during instructio and the Soldier never really sees this step unless he's in the front row.  Step Two: using the point of his ball point pen (or point of a M855 round, etc.), the Instructor pushes the aperture the rest of the way out of the sight leaf.  Step Three, the Instructor advises the students to "thread" a pipe cleaner through the aperture and stow it with his cleaning gear so its not so easily lost.

Unfortunately, weeks or months later, that is the only step the Operator remebers is the part about the pointy object or ball point pen.  If you try this at home without first nudging the prongs back evenly with a larger "flat object",  you will only be able to remove the aperture by breaking off a prong or two.  Then it won't stay in on its own.

The real key is the pipe cleaner though.  Every unit I have instructed with this technique has not subsequently purchased additional apertures.

In addition, there have been only two units that took my advice and purchased some spare apertures when they bought their sights.

Now I don't want to start a "my sight is better than yours" topic here, but I though you might want to know more of the story.  Our 300 Meter BUIS was there when USSCOM, then Army units, Marines (actually they use the 200-600 meter version of our BUIS) needed such an animal.  It (they) were developed "in house" without the benefit of a definative User's Requirement Document and detailed Performance Specification befor ethe Military "knew" they needed anything like that.  So we were there at the right place, at the right time, and with the right product; and now about 40,000 of our guys enjoy the benefits of that product(s).

So (actually well over 8 years ago) KAC "set the bar."  Since that time, the User's having gotten smarter by using their First Generation Kit components, and have voiced a more detailed requirement.  And fortunately, America is blessed with a large number of inovative individuals/Companies like Dick Swan (ARMS), Troy Ind., GGG, Dave Dunlap of PRI, Yankee Hill, La Rue, and many more who are trying to break the barrior of the "90% solution" so our guys can have 100% of what they need.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:59:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Worth a damn?

You bet!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:04:54 AM EDT
[#15]

So (actually well over 8 years ago) KAC "set the bar." Since that time, the User's having gotten smarter by using their First Generation Kit components, and have voiced a more detailed requirement. And fortunately, America is blessed with a large number of inovative individuals/Companies like Dick Swan (ARMS), Troy Ind., GGG, Dave Dunlap of PRI, Yankee Hill, La Rue, and many more who are trying to break the barrior of the "90% solution" so our guys can have 100% of what they need.

Now THAT was a very gracious comment.

BTW, great idea on the pipe cleaner!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:10:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I've got the 2-600 buis, and it is nice piece o' gear.

coldblue- also a nice new forum you got over there.
www.knightarmco.com/index1.html
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:33:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:00:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Always love to hear stuff straight out of the horses mouth so to speak.Thanks coldblue, and to all who responded. I had already planned on securing the insert with a black bread tie Now I plan to use a tactical pipe cleaner I should have it late next week and am looking forward to trying it on my new build.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:23:21 PM EDT
[#19]
coldblue, I asked some KAC dealers and they told me there was no part number on the aperture. I'm sorry for saying there wasn't

No disrespect meant, but I wonder what good a sight is that requires tools and a multi step process to switch from one size aperture to another?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:17:44 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
coldblue, I asked some KAC dealers and they told me there was no part number on the aperture. I'm sorry for saying there wasn't

No disrespect meant, but I wonder what good a sight is that requires tools and a multi step process to switch from one size aperture to another?

Requires tools and multiple steps (?):
(1) with cartridge case base, press prongs rearwards.
(2) reverse cartridge and use bullet point to remove aperture.
(Takes about 5 seconds)

Remember its a back-up sight for most folks.  So these guys usually plan on using just one, or the other after zeroing, if the leaf needs to go up.  It was not invisioned by the Operators who selected it  as something you would do in the middle of a fire fight.  In fact, there was so much disagreement over the diameter of a single aperture peep for the BUIS, that this insert option saved the day.

The Part Number is 97081 (for replacement Sight Aperture)
Other parts that using units need as spares are:
Screw for Rear Clamp: 97186
Clamp, Rear Sight: 95165
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:21:00 AM EDT
[#21]
I've replaced my ARMS 40A and I've replaced my LMT fixed, but I've never even thought of replacing my KAC 300m.   Its always been my favorite-  Dead on at 300, fits under any scope, ultra reliable.   I've heard of users losing the plastic insert, but never heard of someone breaking or losing their KAC buis.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top